Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

James_Donnelly

49 which I am happy with as I had let it drift up too high to 63 when I got measured start of 2020.

49 means back in the good range. So in percentage I think it works out to 6.6%

Gonna try get it back down to what I was for the first 5 years of my diagnosis between 2014 and 2019 which was around 34-37 or 5.3-5.5%

Reactions: Yarvale

Yarvale

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine today was 34 (5.3%) with my last one four months ago being 38 (5.6%) which I'm a bit concerned about as this seems very low. Been T1 for 16 years, but this is the lowest ever.

I'm waiting to get the libre, but from my finger pricks 70% are within range, with 10% being hypo and 20% hypers.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
39 mmol/mol (5.7%) Tresiba/Fiasp

6% Low
74% On Target (3.9-7.9)
20% High

I actually thought this was going to be way worse cause the post-Vaccine results have been way worse than normal.

Dave P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
37 or 5.5% today. Still, I tested myself before I went in this morning and my blood sugar was 9.7, a rise of over 4 since I tested on waking, and despite taking plenty of insulin for the small breakfast I had. So all is not well, despite the good hba1c. I just hope these occasional spikes I get due to apparent morning insulin resistance aren't causing damage, like the background retinopathy that was identified a few months ago.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Hatfield

My A1C was 13.6% three months ago, which I think works out to 125.1 if I did the conversion correctly.
T1 for 8 years, BMI 22.1, 24yo. MDI, 50 units of tresiba daily. I have terrible insulin resistance (recently learned I make insulin antibodies) but I’ve been working really hard to fight back. My next appointment is in just a few days. Doc said my CGM data looked closer to 8.5%/69.4 the last time he checked, and I’m hoping he’s right.

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm quite chuffed with my recent HBA1c results as they have reduced in the last 6 months from 68 mmols or 8.4 % to 53 mmols or 7 %. The Abasaglar & Novorapid seem to be doing the trick & I am thankful. ;)

Reactions: Dave P

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
4.9% Yesterday. I’ve been screwed up for 2 years with a CSF leak and can’t exercise, gained 1.5 stone and am literally a couch potato.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I am always told it as double numbers. I was 50 last test. X

Reactions: Marie 2

amym06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had a diabetic review today and my hba1c was 80 (9.5). Really struggling with motivation and carb counting which has only got worse since Covid-19 happened. Plus the fact my “rapid-acting” insulin takes at least an hour to kick in bloody fed up tbh!

Reactions: lolabunny876

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Think of the future and repercussions to your health long term with your eyes and kidneys etc,even covid. That future can be changed for the better with paying more attention to the things you have to do. It’s not fair and we all get frustrated at times, you’re not alone in that. We all get burn out.. But we’re stuck with it. Honestly it's better to be healthy than not!!!!!

Timing of prebolusing can be very helpful. I like to take half of my bolus as a prebolus, I also never eat until I am at my preferred BG levels. If you start out high then you just go higher, and it becomes a struggle to bring it down. And unfortunately we need to carb count for dosing, you don’t have to be exact. But carbs can really vary for different foods, so dosing needs to vary too. But you can start memorizing most of your common meals so it makes it easier.

Hugs! Chin up and stay healthy!

michelle88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest A1c was 6.5% or 47.5mmol/mol last month. I take Novorapid and Tresiba. I would be sooo happy to get it down to 6.2%, but it's an uphill battle!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The doctors here in the US would love a 6.5 % or 47. The aim here is 6-6.5%. And most just are happy with it under 7%. That's not a bad A1C. I understand the desire for a lower one though. Do you have a CGM? It is a game changer for controlling your BG level.

michelle88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctors here in the US would love a 6.5 % or 47. The aim here is 6-6.5%. And most just are happy with it under 7%. That's not a bad A1C. I understand the desire for a lower one though. Do you have a CGM? It is a game changer for controlling your BG level.
I have used a Libre before, but stopped last year because my skin was reacting badly to the adhesive! And I didn't want to use it over the summer this year. Now that the weather's cooler I'll start wearing one again. It did help a lot in my last pregnancy, I got my A1c down to 5.7% :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There are skin barriers you can use that help stop rashes. Plus Flonase Spray used on the skin before applying can also help. Here are a few, I'm sure there is more. I don't know much about them, but I have heard Flonase spray works really well.

Bard Protective Barrier Film wipes
Skin Prep Protective Barrier Wipes
Hollister Skin gel protective wipes
Flonase Spray

Reactions: michelle88

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Hakr22 That's very high. I believe I've heard in the UK they like to test the A1c again initially when they get a high result in 2-4 weeks to make sure it was right. Not sure though. Maybe someone else knows more about it. Have you checked for ketones? You need to watch out for ketones or the signs of DKA at those levels. I believe you are on insulin? You might add your diagnosis and medications to your profile it really helps when someone is answering a question.

Do you have a meter and how often do you test? You should be able to tell if you are getting lower numbers by your meter. An A1c is an average of 3 months hence they will usually wait at least 3 months between tests once you are under care.

michelle88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are skin barriers you can use that help stop rashes. Plus Flonase Spray used on the skin before applying can also help. Here are a few, I'm sure there is more. I don't know much about them, but I have heard Flonase spray works really well.

Bard Protective Barrier Film wipes
Skin Prep Protective Barrier Wipes
Hollister Skin gel protective wipes
Flonase Spray
Thanks so much Marie for your suggestions, I will look into these because I want to resume using the Libre again!

Howell_595

Hi everyone. My last hba1c was 55mmols which is a great improvement for me. I'm on Nova rapid/levemir and currently on a low carb diet which has really helped with my hba1c and also leveled out my sugar lvls. Not getting the rollercoaster effect so much now.

Reactions: Antje77