Constantly worried about future complications

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I recently spoke about how I've changed from finger prick testing to the Freestyle libre 2, definitely a game changer and in my opinion should be standard for testing. I've been Type 1 for 10 years and for some of that my control was awful while other times okay but not great. It's not that I was In denial because I always took my insulin but I know I could of done much better. I am really trying to get my glucose very good now but the thought of the last 10 years makes me think how much damage could that have possibly done on my body. I'm sure others might feel the same but it really gets me down sometimes. I did have background Retinopathy for a short time a few years back but that cleared up.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I recently spoke about how I've changed from finger prick testing to the Freestyle libre 2, definitely a game changer and in my opinion should be standard for testing. I've been Type 1 for 10 years and for some of that my control was awful while other times okay but not great. It's not that I was In denial because I always took my insulin but I know I could of done much better. I am really trying to get my glucose very good now but the thought of the last 10 years makes me think how much damage could that have possibly done on my body. I'm sure others might feel the same but it really gets me down sometimes. I did have background Retinopathy for a short time a few years back but that cleared up.

Hi,

I've been diabetic for nearly 45 years & seen some changes in what's available for managing the condition. I've also been through a few dodgy phases in my time regarding getting a handle on it.
Back then, I could only dream about carrying my own blood glucose monitor.
The CGM tech is a great tool.

Now, I felt I got away with it & a few years back seriously tackled my T1 head on. Then got diagnosed with a Macula oedema..
All good now.

My advice. Would be a steady change in blood glucose management & lowering the A1c?
Like a "decompression." Don't go at it like a bull at a gate.
I read somewhere later that I could have avoided the aforementioned issue if I'd not rushed it.

Hope this helps.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Know how you feel. I've had diabetes for 9 years now. Poorly controlled for the whole time. Got Covid in December then February found out I have Maculopathy. Now waiting to see the neurologist and my legs and feet which are a great concern to me. Unable to work or walk anywhere as I am in too much pain. Guess those 9 years of poor control are catching up with me.

Reactions: JCBBFC27

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've been diabetic for nearly 45 years & seen some changes in what's available for managing the condition. I've also been through a few dodgy phases in my time regarding getting a handle on it.

Now, I felt I got away with it & a few years back seriously tackled my T1 head on. Then got diagnosed with a Macula oedema..
All good now.

My advice. Would be a steady change in blood glucose management & lowering the A1c?
I read somewhere later that I could have avoided the aforementioned issue if I'd not rushed it.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for that advice, I do remember reading that somewhere that sudden good control can actually do more bad than good.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Know how you feel. I've had diabetes for 9 years now. Poorly controlled for the whole time. Got Covid in December then February found out I have Maculopathy. Now waiting to see the neurologist and my legs and feet which are a great concern to me. Unable to work or walk anywhere as I am in too much pain. Guess those 9 years of poor control are catching up with me.
Sorry to hear, I hope they get on with the treatment for you!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am really trying to get my glucose very good now but the thought of the last 10 years makes me think how much damage could that have possibly done on my body. I'm sure others might feel the same but it really gets me down sometimes. I did have background Retinopathy for a short time a few years back but that cleared up.

Human bodies are amazingly good at recovering from abuse. A lot of diabetic complications can be reversed or halted by improving control and if you've only been diabetic for 10 years then that is not that long in the global scheme of things.

51 years T1, with truly appalling control in my teens pre glucometer and varying control since then, reasonable for last 5 years. I've always reckoned that tightening my control will help if I start to suspect complications, and so far my eyes have on again off again background retinopathy and everything else is OK. Yes, I'm sure I'd be healthier if not T1 but it doesn't stop me from doing anything.

You only get one life, make the best of it. Cgms are awesome (as life changing as when I got my first glucometer) and there's no reason why current new T1s (and 10 years isn't that long) can't lead long and healthy lives. It frustrates me that currently only the lucky and the rich can afford cgms, but hopefully they will become the norm as time passes.

Do your best diabetic wise and live and enjoy your life, T1 is an inconvenience not a death sentence.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I would recommend a book by doctor doctor Richard k Bernstein. He is American doctor who reversed his diabetes complication. Very informative.less insulin bu having low carb- worth a read

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for that advice, I do remember reading that somewhere that sudden good control can actually do more bad than good.

The "short sharp shock" approach can sometimes have repercussions.. Steady wins the race.
hadn't even heard of the condition till a few years back? The usual "MOT" I sail through with the various functions.
I thought it was all about the "bleeding retinas," which never showed up. (To date.)

The Libre2 should help regarding daily management, it's a great tool. But don't place the meter in the drawer just yet.
Especially when dealing with hypos? To be fair I use my phone with the sensor. So carrying the meter too hasn't changed much since owning a mobile back in the mid 1990s. The only difference now is I don't leave home without the phone.. ;)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've changed from finger prick testing to the Freestyle libre 2
Libre and CGMs should NOT be considered a replacement for finger pricking as they are less accurate and lagging.
Any high or low must be double checked with finger pricks and, preferably, a calibration test taken at least once a day.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @JCBBFC27 there are many of us who have sailed the same boat as @EllieM , including having lousy control - in my case for the 1st 20 years. Nearly 62 years later I have the pleasure of living and of "talking" to people like yourself. I can't offer better advice than EllieM so I just wish you all the best.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mean to sound harsh but I slightly envy people that have had bad periods and been diabetic years and have no complications, I was diagnosed with my first eye related condition less than a month into my Type 1, the second less than 2 years in despite good control so things could be worse

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mean to sound harsh but I slightly envy people that have had bad periods and been diabetic years and have no complications, I was diagnosed with my first eye related condition less than a month into my Type 1, the second less than 2 years in despite good control so things could be worse
No I get what you're saying, I'm sorry to hear that, it's a very hard condition to live with at times and only people who have it can properly understand. There is a lot of Retinopathy treatment out there thankfully.

Reactions: oldgreymare

JamesR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can only focus on what you can control.
That’s what I always tell myself. And it helps with the worry and anxiety of the future.
You can’t do anything about what you did in your past, but you can start changing what you are doing today. And that will impact your future.
Pre-bolus. Eat well. Monitor your bloods. Exercise. Repeat. And just be grateful for the health you have!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well it’s well known on here that my blood sugar control was absolute pants ! I’m into my 41st year now still here eyes good had a heart attack , and lost my leg below the knee , but still here with absolute no control to be honest , since I’ve screwed the nut and been using the Libre my Hb1ac is excellent , and that’s a s good as I can do , 10 years is not long and now your on the Libre you control will get better ,as previously stated on many posts here all diabetics of over 30 / 35 years had hardly my technology at all so diabetics today can live well into 50 years with less complications. . libre is definitely a game changer , it is accurate enough to keep you Hb1 ac at a good level ! Let’s face it we’re diabetic so controlling bs to within a gnats tadger
Is never going to be totally achievable unless your a slave to diabetes , which I’m not .I think the advice given by others of not trying to eat the whole elephant ! Just a take small steps is sound advice

bmtest

Why worry what are you scared of ? You did what you did at time.

Diabetes is one of those things that invoke
thought pattern of nature especially when young.

But what happens happens I am in 5th decade with type 1 and still waiting for something to happen. Many friends are 6ft under now and never ailed for anything when young its all a lottery.

Reactions: JAT1 and JCBBFC27

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

All good now.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. Seems i have hit complications also from rollercoaster effect readings so flattening the line is crucial right now it might even be too late. Doing it too quickly is my worry but I seem to be going in the right direction. It’s hard to know if your doing it too quickly when i only had my blood test once a year & that my average readings was never ridiculously high.

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I feel your pain, I found the standard finger prick testing impossible to keep on top of & this should be standard for all type 1. Better late than never to improve though!

Last edited: