New here

Taku

Hello everyone I'm new here as the title says. I've been a type 1 since 11, now I'm 26. I dont who else to talk to about this disease, feels like I'm alone honestly so I just made this account. Anyways my question is after years of uncontrolled BS and a1c in 7s and 8s. I've finally got my a1c to 6, with low carb. Although my 2 main goals of lowering my insulin and blood pressure have stalled. I'm currently on 16 lantus and 30 humulin. I thought going low carb would lower my doses but I'm pretty much on the same doses since starting low carb 1 month ago, I thought it helped with insulin sensitivity right? Also my blood pressure has been in the 140/90 range for a while and I dont want to get on medication, how long did it take for you to bring down your BP with low carb?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Taku and welcome to the forums. We're an international forum so there's usually someone around to chat, even though you'll find the forums are most lively in UK friendly hours.

Firstly, congratulations on the hba1c reduction. I would argue that that is the most important goal and that's an awesome result. (And though 8s aren't necessarily a brilliant hba1c to have, there are many people who've run much much higher, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for having some years of erratic blood sugars in your teens and early twenties.)

As regards the blood pressure, have you tried exercise and/or weight loss (only if you are overweight) to reduce your levels? I did find my lantus went down a little when I went lowish carb, but my main reasons for it that I have a T2 father and a fair amount of insulin resistance, and lowish carb helps to keep my weight under control as well as my blood sugars. Though going low carb did reduce my bp levels slightly, I think the reason for their reduction was more because I made a serious effort to get fitter. (I'm naturally physically very lazy and the taking more exercise has made a massive difference to my well being. ).

Are you having to fund your own insulin? If so, then I totally understand why you might want to reduce the amount, but medically I think there is just generally a massive difference in how much different healthy T1s need, and you should just be happy that you're managing to match your insulin to your needs.

Once again, welcome to the forums and congratulations on an awesome hba1c result.

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Taku

Just a thought, - I guess it might depend on exactly what you're eating? Have you simply reduced carbs or are are you doing Low Carb High Fat? Are you eating more protein?

Taku

Hi @Taku and welcome to the forums. We're an international forum so there's usually someone around to chat, even though you'll find the forums are most lively in UK friendly hours.

Firstly, congratulations on the hba1c reduction. I would argue that that is the most important goal and that's an awesome result. (And though 8s aren't necessarily a brilliant hba1c to have, there are many people who've run much much higher, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for having some years of erratic blood sugars in your teens and early twenties.)

As regards the blood pressure, have you tried exercise and/or weight loss (only if you are overweight) to reduce your levels? I did find my lantus went down a little when I went lowish carb, but my main reasons for it that I have a T2 father and a fair amount of insulin resistance, and lowish carb helps to keep my weight under control as well as my blood sugars. Though going low carb did reduce my bp levels slightly, I think the reason for their reduction was more because I made a serious effort to get fitter. (I'm naturally physically very lazy and the taking more exercise has made a massive difference to my well being. ).

Are you having to fund your own insulin? If so, then I totally understand why you might want to reduce the amount, but medically I think there is just generally a massive difference in how much different healthy T1s need, and you should just be happy that you're managing to match your insulin to your needs.

Once again, welcome to the forums and congratulations on an awesome hba1c result.
Thanks for responding. No I pretty much work out every day, been physically active since I was a kid, not overweight at all. Same as you my dad is a Type 2. I just thought lowering my BS would have an impact on BP but I dont know if takes months or if 1 month of low carb is not long enough. The reason for lowering insulin for sure ties in to cost thanks to good old American healthcare but I'm also aware that insulin sensitivity tied into overall health

Taku

Hi @Taku

Just a thought, - I guess it might depend on exactly what you're eating? Have you simply reduced carbs or are are you doing Low Carb High Fat? Are you eating more protein?
Hi, so my ratios never change I pretty much eat the same thing every day because its the only way I can stop unpredictable BS. Ever since I started eating like this a month ago my BS never go above 105. My carbs are 50g, fat 100-150, protein 150. Since my BS have been great i thought i would be seeing a change in my insulin ratios and BP but i dont know if it's still too early and it just takes longer to see a difference