Increased appetite after second covid jab

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Has anyone noticed their appetite has increased after they’ve had covid jab?
I had mine on Thursday, the second one.
Yesterday I was struggling not to eat lunch at 9.30am.
Had quite bad side effects from afternoon and really didn’t want my usual keto food so had burger and chips (left the bun and only had half the chips) so not too horrific.
But today I just want to eat.
I’m trying really hard not to get bad food but I just want food.
Haven’t been like this for ages. and don’t just want to eat but want loads of food, big substantial food.
I know I get more cravings after a bad meal but this is very odd!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone noticed their appetite has increased after they’ve had covid jab?
I had mine on Thursday, the second one.
Yesterday I was struggling not to eat lunch at 9.30am.
Had quite bad side effects from afternoon and really didn’t want my usual keto food so had burger and chips (left the bun and only had half the chips) so not too horrific.
But today I just want to eat.
I’m trying really hard not to get bad food but I just want food.
Haven’t been like this for ages. and don’t just want to eat but want loads of food, big substantial food.
I know I get more cravings after a bad meal but this is very odd!
I get hungry when I am fighting infection. Maybe the stimulation of your immune system from the vaccine is having a similar effect?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I get hungry when I am fighting infection. Maybe the stimulation of your immune system from the vaccine is having a similar effect?
That could be the case.
My under arm was really sore this morning and they do say it can make that happen as body is doing it’s job.
Maybe I just need to eat through it and stop fighting lol!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had my second jab last Sunday, and from being so positive this time last week, I have been a bit unwell, just like a mild case of man flu. My injection site was sore for four days. I am more anxious and tired.

Keep safe, I hope it's all worth it!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The usual low carb answer is to eat as much as you can of protein and fat.

However if I get really hungry then "nice things" keep nagging at me.

Grit your teeth and eat half a dozen scrambled eggs. :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The usual low carb answer is to eat as much as you can of protein and fat.

However if I get really hungry then "nice things" keep nagging at me.

Grit your teeth and eat half a dozen scrambled eggs. :)
Yea I’ve failed lol.
But it’s just a blip.
Main problem is I have really gone off meat. So eating a lot of tinned salmon but that’s just not very filling!
I do have my bad times but that’s usually cravings for sugar. I’m eating bad food but that’s more that I just want to eat and not stop eating. Very peculiar! tomorrow I’ll just eat huge amount of eggs lol

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yea I’ve failed lol.
But it’s just a blip.
Main problem is I have really gone off meat. So eating a lot of tinned salmon but that’s just not very filling!
I do have my bad times but that’s usually cravings for sugar. I’m eating bad food but that’s more that I just want to eat and not stop eating. Very peculiar! tomorrow I’ll just eat huge amount of eggs lol

Mayo and lettuce leaves are good LCHF fodder and go well with tinned salmon.

I tend to make tuna mayo and eat it out of lettuce leaves but salmon mayo also rocks.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Mayo and lettuce leaves are good LCHF fodder and go well with tinned salmon.

I tend to make tuna mayo and eat it out of lettuce leaves but salmon mayo also rocks.
Sadly I don’t eat lettuce, when I had IBS which disappeared after diagnosis I got so ill with cramps on lettuce I can’t eat it now.
But I can happily eat eggs with mayo.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yea I’ve failed lol.
But it’s just a blip.
I went off all proteins when I actually had covid. Consequently I ate bad foods then.

I have just had my 2nd jab today and yes, I am more hungry than usual too. I have had 3 meals and a snack when normally I would only have 1 meal and 1 snack maximum.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @woollygal for this post. In Australia we are behind in our vaccine regime so I think I'm likely to get my first jab in the next couple of weeks.
Having an alert about this possible side effect is very helpful I also feel more hungry when coming down with something. Possibly our bodies way of saying you need more fuel to fight this but to be honest I would rather it just used some of my excess weight without making me hungry.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I went off all proteins when I actually had covid. Consequently I ate bad foods then.

I have just had my 2nd jab today and yes, I am more hungry than usual too. I have had 3 meals and a snack when normally I would only have 1 meal and 1 snack maximum.
Horrible isn’t it.
Have to say though i don’t mind needing to eat more I just wish my good food did the job. it’s just not substantial enough.
I may just have to cook loads of meat today and force myself to eat it.
Having rubbish food yesterday now I feel even worse lol!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks @woollygal for this post. In Australia we are behind in our vaccine regime so I think I'm likely to get my first jab in the next couple of weeks.
Having an alert about this possible side effect is very helpful I also feel more hungry when coming down with something. Possibly our bodies way of saying you need more fuel to fight this but to be honest I would rather it just used some of my excess weight without making me hungry.
I’m not even overly hungry.
It’s just that need to eat. I haven’t had that fir a long long time.