Type 2 Medication that aids weight loss

vickk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 since 2008 and on metformin. Due to lockdown not had a test or review over 12 months. I was in control going into lockdown but I have totally lost my focus. I have my annual review coming up and expect to be put on extra medication. Can anyone advise which ones cause weight gain ( can't risk them) and which one now prescribed that help weight loss. Tablets preferably. I don't want to just go with whatever my gp usually uses.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dietary changes will usually be far more effective than medication for sustainable weight loss.. what kind of things are you eating? Might help to reduce the diabetes meds too. Worth a try?

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Bydureon is meant for this but its a once a week injection..

i wanted bydureon at one point but they wouldn't give it to me as my bmi was only 24 and they didn't want me to lose more weight..

But i agree that the best overall would be to try diet change

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d agree with looking at diet. You’re already taking metformin, which often supports weight loss so if you tolerate that well, then looking at addressing what you eat alongside it would makes lot of sense.

What changed in terms of your diet / control? Could it simply be a case of resetting your mindset and then a few tweaks? That’d potentially be a lot more sustainable than adding in a nee medication that you may or may not get on with.

vickk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before the lockdown I was doing the low carb plan. I did it for a few years and my readings were 46 to 48. At the last test in November 2019 it went up to 55 without me changing it. It made wonder if the disease was progressing. I was determined to get back in control and worked hard up to may 2020 but my review was cancelled and not been able to get a test till now. Based on a few strip tests I'm expecting my review to be around the 80 mark. The lockdown left me totally without focus and I drifted back to my own ways. I am all geared up to get back to my low carb and exercise routine but I think my gp will insist on medication. I'm ok with that because my routine will hopefully bring things back. However I don't want to start on a med that causes weight gain when there are options that will help kick start things.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but I think my gp will insist on medication.

Your GP can insist all they like but it’s up to you what you put in your body. I agree with the others try tightening up on the carbs and weight loss before accepting further medication.

Reactions: Freema

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another that says address diet, get back on low carb and if necessary ask for a 3 month review of that before accepting more meds you might not get on with or even need. You’ve proved you can do it once with low carb, to them and yourself. Ultimately it’s your choice though

what readings taken when make you think it’s as high as 80? And there’s many a member here that’s had a reading that high and stayed off meds, for a diet trial, and got amazing results.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 since 2008 and on metformin. Due to lockdown not had a test or review over 12 months. I was in control going into lockdown but I have totally lost my focus. I have my annual review coming up and expect to be put on extra medication. Can anyone advise which ones cause weight gain ( can't risk them) and which one now prescribed that help weight loss. Tablets preferably. I don't want to just go with whatever my gp usually uses.

Ozempic is known to cause a big weight loss ( semiglutide )

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In general diabetes drugs do not cause weight gain but too many carbs do, so focus on your diet. Yes, the glutide drugs can help reduce weight but as always the right diet is key.