Ketotarian by Dr Will Cole

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I picked up a copy of this book secondhand. It was published in 2018 in the US and gives a comprehensive, well-referenced guide to maintaining ketosis on a mostly plant-based diet. It also includes simple recipes that provide a breakdown of macros per portion including net carbohydrates rather the usual total carbohydrates often given the States. I found it a really enjoyable and illuminating read.
IMG_20210522_154127.jpg

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Yes it is based around low carbohydrate, and varying proportions of protein and fat depending on the type of ketogenic diet. Most of the calories come from healthy fats with the aim of using ketones as an energy source rather than glucose. For example the baked egg and avocado on the cover provides 13g protein, 2g carbohydrate and 23g fat. The author aims to produce a nutrient dense, healthy, low carbohydrate diet without the use of meat.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Yes it is based around low carbohydrate, and varying proportions of protein and fat depending on the type of ketogenic diet. Most of the calories come from healthy fats with the aim of using ketones as an energy source rather than glucose. For example the baked egg and avocado on the cover provides 13g protein, 2g carbohydrate and 23g fat. The author aims to produce a nutrient dense, healthy, low carbohydrate diet without the use of meat.

Looks like it’s about £13 on a well know auction site

cheesedream

Thanks for sharing, that looks interesting. I am a long term vegetarian, and have been low carb since my T2 diagnosis. I see this book is 'mostly' plant based, are all the recipes vegetarian?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks very interesting, whilst I’m no where near going vegetarian I am really gone off eating meat, it’s making feel sick just the thought of it, hubby made a beautiful meal last night of steak and baked Brie to dip and I just couldn’t face it, going the same way with dairy as well to a certain extent I’m thinking of a couple of no meat days a week to see if that helps - I’m getting together some keto recipes at the moment so I can do it properly. I do believe that a keto vegetarian diet is doable with proper planning

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thanks for sharing, that looks interesting. I am a long term vegetarian, and have been low carb since my T2 diagnosis. I see this book is 'mostly' plant based, are all the recipes vegetarian?
The recipes occasionally include oily fish, no diary and are mostly vegan or vegetarian. There are some ingredients that I don't recognise and am yet to look up. I paid £6 for the book and probably wouldn't pay £13. I was more curious to see if it were possible to maintain ketosis on a mainly plant based diet. The author does seem to have a good understanding of biochemical pathways and generally has a very sound approach to treating inflammation and some metabolic disorders through diet.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Nothing to do with the topic but I'm intrigued by your avatar and name.

In our family we have always called a fried cheese sandwich a "cheese dream" but haven't come across anyone else calling it that.
The family is from Lancashire.
Just wondering.

Oh, and the bread does for me these days so it is reserved for very special treats.

cheesedream

Well @LittleGreyCat, in my house a cheese dream starts off as a cheese sandwich but is then given the french toast treatment. Just dunk the whole thing in the egg and fry it in butter. Like you, not something I eat very often now. And I am in Scotland, so it can't be a regional thing.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks very interesting, whilst I’m no where near going vegetarian I am really gone off eating meat, it’s making feel sick just the thought of it, hubby made a beautiful meal last night of steak and baked Brie to dip and I just couldn’t face it, going the same way with dairy as well to a certain extent I’m thinking of a couple of no meat days a week to see if that helps - I’m getting together some keto recipes at the moment so I can do it properly. I do believe that a keto vegetarian diet is doable with proper planning
Have you had your Vit B12 levels checked recently? I was checking symptoms of low levels of B12 this morning (of which I have several) and going off meat came up as one. I remembered reading your post a few days ago and just thought I would mention it. :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your Vit B12 levels checked recently? I was checking symptoms of low levels of B12 this morning (of which I have several) and going off meat came up as one. I remembered reading your post a few days ago and just thought I would mention it. :)
No I haven’t @zand thats very interesting- I’ll mention it to my GP when I next go for bloods in a couple of weeks - thank you for that :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
"The recipes occasionally include oily fish, no diary and are all vegan or vegetarian."

Vegetarians and vegans don't eat flesh of any kind. This includes flesh from fish.
And are mostly vegan or vegetarian. My typo!
The recipes suggest occasionally that oily fish may be added if someone wishes.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have an interest in vegan keto. My daughter is vegan and given the genetics is likely to develop diabetes at some stage. Want to make it as easy as possible for her. Would love her to go low carb now to reduce the risk but as she has a lot on her plate particularly mentally know that it just isn't the right time yet.

Beating-My-Betes

I always have an interest in vegan keto. My daughter is vegan and given the genetics is likely to develop diabetes at some stage. Want to make it as easy as possible for her. Would love her to go low carb now to reduce the risk but as she has a lot on her plate particularly mentally know that it just isn't the right time yet.

Not sure if you've heard the saying, "Genetics loads the gun; lifestyle pulls the trigger". There is no reason that someone maintaining a healthy lifestyle (Predominantly whole-foods, exercise, proper hydration etc. etc.) should become diabetic. It is of course possible to become diabetic by eating a diet not dissimilar to a standard western diet I.e both high in fat AND ultra-processed foods. Even if the diet is predominately whole-foods, but these two co petting macros are both high, it could result in problems. Fortunately, if she has an interest in the general goings-on within the vegan world, she'll likely have come across most of the info she needs.

Hba1c is probably all she'd need to monitor.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no reason that someone maintaining a healthy lifestyle (Predominantly whole-foods, exercise, proper hydration etc. etc.) should become diabetic. It
I wish to voice my complete disagreement with this, as someone who has eaten healthy home cooked all my life, and was a fell walker and long distance swimmer, yet still became type 2 diabetic at the age of 49 years old.

You often make sweeping generalisations which are, at best, inaccurate.

Please take some time to educate yourself about all types of diabetes. Especially type 2. There are many reasons why someone becomes diabetic, through nothing they have or haven't done.

Meanwhile, back on topic, this book looks interesting and I plan to do more research on the subject.