EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am posting this because I have now had the mechanism of a humalog insulin pen (so Eli Lilley I guess) die after just 3 months. My previous pen died in a similar way, but I just thought that it was normal for old pens to break.

But, I really don't remember this happening in the past - I've had new pens due to losing them or getting a new kind of insulin, and I'm guessing one or two must have broken, but I really don't remember it. The defect is that the pen doesn't always click properly when I turn the dial, and then gives me a lot of resistance when I try to press the plunger and doesn't deliver any insulin. (I can't even get it primed.)

So, is this a known issue with faulty pens? I'm just really suspicious that the new pen is from the same pharmacy and is the same colour (same batch?) as the old pen, and has died so quickly.

Luckily I always keep some old disposable syringes in reserve....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am posting this because I have now had the mechanism of a humalog insulin pen (so Eli Lilley I guess) die after just 3 months. My previous pen died in a similar way, but I just thought that it was normal for old pens to break.

But, I really don't remember this happening in the past - I've had new pens due to losing them or getting a new kind of insulin, and I'm guessing one or two must have broken, but I really don't remember it. The defect is that the pen doesn't always click properly when I turn the dial, and then gives me a lot of resistance when I try to press the plunger and doesn't deliver any insulin. (I can't even get it primed.)

So, is this a known issue with faulty pens? I'm just really suspicious that the new pen is from the same pharmacy and is the same colour (same batch?) as the old pen, and has died so quickly.

Luckily I always keep some old disposable syringes in reserve....

Hi @EllieM ,

What is the pen like regarding dialing & pressing the plunger without a crtridge installed?
Also, with Novopen I noticed a resistance with no insulin happening. But it turned out to be the needle loose in the plastic screw cap not penitrating the cartridge membrane at the other end?
When it was screwed down, 4mms visibly grew & became 5 or 6?

image.jpeg

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @EllieM ,

What is the pen like regarding dialing & pressing the plunger without a crtridge installed?
Also, with Novopen I noticed a resistance with no insulin happening. But it turned out to be the needle loose in the plastic screw cap not penitrating the cartridge membrane at the other end?
When it was screwed down, 4mms visibly grew & became 5 or 6?

View attachment 49798

You're a genius, thank you so much! Just pulled off the pen needle and found that its end was bent sideways and had not entered the cartridge. So needle fail instead of pen fail.... :):):) And I have plenty of spare needles.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're a genius, thank you so much! Just pulled off the pen needle and found that its end was bent sideways and had not entered the cartridge. So needle fail instead of pen fail.... :):):) And I have plenty of spare needles.

Yeah, somtimes they can go like that too.. Or at least bend at a slight angle & not penitrates the membrane fully.?
Glad you got it sorted..

I tend to turn the the screw cap in place the opposit way first to seat it, before screwing it down to avoid a skewed "cross threading?" But it can happen..

Reactions: EllieM