Would a higher dose of metformin help?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have pcos, ir, and need to lose weight. About ten years ago, I was prescribed metformin to help with weight loss. It worked really well and I lost 3 stone. Sadly I never continued and put the weight back on.

I am now back on metformin and I have to say, it's not really helping. I've lost a stone in a year, but I just cannot get my weight down any more. The only difference with now and 10 years ago, is that I've been diagnosed with either fibroids or adenomyosis...and I'm on the pill.

I think the pill is hindering my progress, as I read it can make insulin resistance worse. I have to be on the pill for my mental health, as I had such a terrible time before going on it. So anyway, I wonder if taking 1000mg metformin a day isn't high enough for me this time?

My thinking is that the dose just isn't enough to break the door down of those resistant cells.
Does anyone think it's a plausible theory, and that it's something that will help?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have pcos, ir, and need to lose weight. About ten years ago, I was prescribed metformin to help with weight loss. It worked really well and I lost 3 stone. Sadly I never continued and put the weight back on.

I am now back on metformin and I have to say, it's not really helping. I've lost a stone in a year, but I just cannot get my weight down any more. The only difference with now and 10 years ago, is that I've been diagnosed with either fibroids or adenomyosis...and I'm on the pill.

I think the pill is hindering my progress, as I read it can make insulin resistance worse. I have to be on the pill for my mental health, as I had such a terrible time before going on it. So anyway, I wonder if taking 1000mg metformin a day isn't high enough for me this time?

My thinking is that the dose just isn't enough to break the door down of those resistant cells.
Does anyone think it's a plausible theory, and that it's something that will help?
Have you tried a low carb diet? I have no idea how my PCOS is doing as I don't want kids and I'm on hormone shots to keep my migraines in check, but a low carb diet did help with my weight, moodswings/depression/anxiety and insulin resistance/T2. Metformin can do a bit, but no more than that, really... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some. It's geared to T2's, but the same would apply to RH-ers. (No spike, no overreaction from your pancreas).

Good luck!
Jo