Libre 2 Alarms

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Newly diagnosed type 1, 3 weeks ago (on pancake day, yeah I know), just got my Libre 2. Interested to hear what numbers people have set for their alarms. I'm a keen cyclist, and my BG can drop very quickly when I'm out on a ride, so tempted to set a highish Hypo alarm, something around 4.5, so I can take on carbs before I go under 4. Any thoughts?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My suggestion would be to set it higher so you can decide if it's still likely to fall so you need to do something or leave it as is. Maybe 5.5?

Same going up. Too late at 10, but maybe 8.5 would give you time to think.

YMMV

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, @TheLazarusProject .

"Pancake day?" That must have really flipped things over... ;)

As someone active either at work or gigs. I set mine at 4.8. However, that's pending on which way the arrow is pointing regarding a nudge in line with 5g of carb. (With just basal on board. A few gs more possibly with fast acting?)
Then keeping an eye..

I have memories of cycling in my youth on porcine insulin. I seemed to be always stoking the furnace with carbs on a ride.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been put on this for the first time this week. I’m testing all the time , one thing which Iv never been able to do at this level before. Alarms are great until it gets to bedtime! Trying to get on top of the swings which I’m sure will get sorted in time. The difference between this & finger pricks is incredible. Alarms I’m at 4.4 & 9.5.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I agree with @barrym, it’s helpful to set a low sugars alarm a little higher so you’ve time to sort it out, especially if you’re cycling; a hypo on a bike, on the road, isn’t a good idea. If your brain is impaired through lack of glucose, and your reaction time is slower, plus the risk of impaired balance, then you’ll not be enjoying yourself.
I set mine at 4.8 and 8.2, but I’m not cyclist.
I’ve encountered a one cycling T1s and most of them also carry a bottle of sugary liquid so they can easily treat impending lows.
Drivers need to be 5 to drive if that’s a useful comparison.
It’s great that you’re looking to use alarms to go well. I wish you many years of happy T1 cycling.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I self fund a dexcom g6 and the default alarm settings are 4.4 and 10.
Alarms are great until it gets to bedtime!
I hear you. In the interests of saving my poor partner's sleep patterns I have the high alarm on vibrate rather than sound but that's not an option for the low one. While I do appreciate the warning for night lows my dexcom has a bad habit of under reading for the first night of a sensor ....:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @barrym, it’s helpful to set a low sugars alarm a little higher so you’ve time to sort it out, especially if you’re cycling; a hypo on a bike, on the road, isn’t a good idea. If your brain is impaired through lack of glucose, and your reaction time is slower, plus the risk of impaired balance, then you’ll not be enjoying yourself.
I set mine at 4.8 and 8.2, but I’m not cyclist.
I’ve encountered a one cycling T1s and most of them also carry a bottle of sugary liquid so they can easily treat impending lows.
Drivers need to be 5 to drive if that’s a useful comparison.
It’s great that you’re looking to use alarms to go well. I wish you many years of happy T1 cycling.
Absolutely carrying High carb fluids. I have to carry about 200g CHO for my longer rides, and I'm not even that long distance a cyclist. Works very well with the trends on libre as you can adjust intake fairly acutely. Given the delay I now have my alarm at 5.5 for rides as if it gets that low its almost always accompanied by a down arrow.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only had my libre 2 for a week. Set at 5.5 and 13.
Will alter this once I have improved my control. Alarms don't always go off when it drops below 5.5. Alarm isnt always reliable.

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only had my libre 2 for a week. Set at 5.5 and 13.
Will alter this once I have improved my control. Alarms don't always go off when it drops below 5.5. Alarm isnt always reliable.

You using your phone? Sometimes have to rescan mine & it’s usually ok after that.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes using my phone. Always tells me when I go too high. Sometimes too late at telling me when it's low.

d302q1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to self-fund Dexcom G6 which was excellent, and set my range between 3.9 and 7.8 to try and keep it in the range of a "normal person". Got told off by the diabetic nurse that the ranges were too tight because I was skimming the bottom surface too often - which gave a awesome Hba1c result in a blood test but did result in a few technical mild hypos. You are depleting the brain of its fuel (glucose) in any hypo situation so I listened and accepted a slight relaxation of my range would do me absolutely no harm.

I'm now on the Freestyle Libre 2 (with the alarms) and I've set it between 4.5 and 8.5 which works for me. Although I'm much more relaxed about it occasionally cresting into 9 or 10 so long as I know it's coming down straight away.

I like barrym's suggested alarm ranges above if you are exercising.

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my sensor 2... anyone else constantly having signal issues with the alarms?

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got my sensor 2... anyone else constantly having signal issues with the alarms?
I had loads of problems using my android phone, got fed up relying on alarms that weren't responding. In the end I got Abbott to send me a Libre 2 reader, I know start each sensor with the reader so I get the alarms on that, then use the Librelink on my phone so my consultant can access my results.

domoboy

Hi all,

Am i right in saying if I set overnight alarms to go off if my blood sugars drop/rise above a certain level. An alarm will go off? Even if my phone is on the bedside table a metre away? I always thought it could only read your blood sugar when the phone was scanning your sensor a few inches away!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Am i right in saying if I set overnight alarms to go off if my blood sugars drop/rise above a certain level. An alarm will go off? Even if my phone is on the bedside table a metre away? I always thought it could only read your blood sugar when the phone was scanning your sensor a few inches away!

Hi,

The average BT device transmits upto 10 meters. Pending on environment? Metal structures & walls will probably affect range.
So a meter distance should be no issue..
The scanning side of stuff works via NFC. A little like contactless payment methods in shops.