DEXCOM on prescription anytime soon?

bonerp

Anyone know whether Dexcom will go like Libre Lifestyle on script?

I need to change pump and fancy the T-Slim closed loop on Dexcom.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This depends on your CCG.
Typically, Libre has a different budget to other CGMs like DexCom.

If your team have given you a list of pumps to consider, they should be able to answer questions such as whether they would be able to fund you to have DexCom.

In many areas, only people with no hypo awareness or uncontrolled management are funded for CGMs.

bonerp

This depends on your CCG.
Typically, Libre has a different budget to other CGMs like DexCom.

If your team have given you a list of pumps to consider, they should be able to answer questions such as whether they would be able to fund you to have DexCom.

In many areas, only people with no hypo awareness or uncontrolled management are funded for CGMs.
This doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm funded for libre2 but dexcom is only for those who've lost awareness yet they offer pumps capable of closed loop systems yet without the dexcom.....!

... Odd

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm funded for libre2 but dexcom is only for those who've lost awareness yet they offer pumps capable of closed loop systems yet without the dexcom.....!

... Odd
T-Slim is capable of closed loop but it also works well without the close looping.
This is not at all unusual.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It can also depend on both your hospital/CCG and any problems you are having.
Whilst I don't get the Dexcom, I do get Medtronics sensors (to work with my pump) funded because otherwise my night-time blood sugars are just not controllable at all (as shown by the libre), I either had some nasty DP (about 80-90% of the time) or it actually did the complete opposite and went down instead causing hypos (with no reason I could figure out)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Anyone know whether Dexcom will go like Libre Lifestyle on script?

I need to change pump and fancy the T-Slim closed loop on Dexcom.

Doubt it when the libre is cheaper

However Dexcom G7 comes soon should be cheaper than G6 so may become available

Do do have the Dexcom issued by the nhs but it’s not common

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @bonerp I agree with others, it's down to your CCG and their policy for funding. I couldn't get the libre through mine so self funded the Dexcom for 2 years, the time came for me to change my pump and as i'd done this my team were prepared to invest in the Tandem Slim with Control IQ and so ultimately I also got funding for my G6. I think if you're prepared to invest the time and energy in managing your control and you have a good relationship with your team that they will be prepared to help, they do still have to justify to the board that the money has been well spent though, and I do have to email reports to them every few months..

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I am self funding the Dexcom G6 and wrote to my MSP, Member of the Scottish Parliament, about NHS funding. But the response back from the NHS was they won't fund Dexcom at the moment as the national criteria for NHS funding 'includes recurrent severe hypoglycemia requiring intervention of others, or impaired awareness of hypoglycemia'. I don't meet these criteria (thankfully) so I haven't made any progress.

I had self funded the Freestyle Libre for a few months, but suffered a bad reaction to the sensors and eventually gave up. However I then found the Dexcom worked for me.
I think I will keep asking periodically as there is a strong case for NHS funding given the benefits to me and the NHS of overall improved bs control and reduced chance of hypos.
Brian

joanne75

Do you have an idea how much the g7 is likely to be. I self funded the g5 and the g6 for 2yrs but my hospital would not fund it for me. I’m now on the Libre but prefer Dexcom.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Do you have an idea how much the g7 is likely to be. I self funded the g5 and the g6 for 2yrs but my hospital would not fund it for me. I’m now on the Libre but prefer Dexcom.

No.. no one knows until it happens

Rumour is that they will be trying to compete with the likes of the libre so I’m thinking similar price to that!

Which is why I suspect it may become available on the NHS

Also the libre 3 is in testing in the UK and that will have icgm status so may be integrated with pump systems.. to be classed icgm it would need to be more accurate than the libre 1 and 2

So that me be an alternative too