Blood sugar 2 hours after eating

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my usual for lunch yesterday...2 slices of seeded bread with cheese and a protein bar. I felt sleepy straight afterwards. Done my blood sugar 2 hours later and it was 6.3.

I don't usually feel sleepy when I have this meal, so just wondered if it would've shot my sugar levels up too quick...but how do I know just by testing 2 hours later?
Would it have gone higher than 6.3?
Is that a bad or good reading for insulin resistance?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I would be very happy with 6.3 two hours after eating 2 slices of seeded bread. In my book a good reading

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
That is a brilliant result 2 hours after eating ! but be aware of the fact that you may have gone too low before it went up , I sometimes get a chronic sleepiness when I go too low .

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a brilliant result 2 hours after eating ! but be aware of the fact that you may have gone too low before it went up , I sometimes get a chronic sleepiness when I go too low .

That's a good point. My breakfast is rubbish...I had 1 weetabix and some bran flakes. I felt hungry less than an hour later.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had my usual for lunch yesterday...2 slices of seeded bread with cheese and a protein bar. I felt sleepy straight afterwards. Done my blood sugar 2 hours later and it was 6.3.

I don't usually feel sleepy when I have this meal, so just wondered if it would've shot my sugar levels up too quick...but how do I know just by testing 2 hours later?
Would it have gone higher than 6.3?
Is that a bad or good reading for insulin resistance?

Did you do a pre meal test?
The thing is that unless you test pre meal and certain time after, I could only guess what is giving you that result.
Feeling sleepy after food could be rapid rise in blood, I found this out. And the majority of symptoms are the cause of blood fluctuations in RH. Having an imbalance in hormonal response will lead to this, if the trigger because of the carbs causing an insulin overshoot. If you need to, I would test at different times after eating. You can find things out about your body.
My advice is to reduce your carbs until you feel better and keep testing, find your spike and when you start dropping glucose levels.
If I had a reading of 6.3mmols after eating at two hours, that would most probably alarm me because it means that my dietary intake is too much carbs.
The only other thing is, if that result is unusual, you could test again.
If you still have insulin resistance, I would likely drop all carbs as much as possible, the amount of usable insulin produced for the spikes is continuing to grow. If you haven't got insulin resistance, the need to stop the trigger is important to be healthy.

Your body can't take the carbs in that meal. Adjust your diet accordingly and keep testing.

Keep safe.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's a good point. My breakfast is rubbish...I had 1 weetabix and some bran flakes. I felt hungry less than an hour later.

That is rubbish and even the doctors who haven't a clue about RH, would frown upon that. It is no wonder your symptoms have returned.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
On the face of it your 6.3 looks ok but it's difficult to draw any firm conclusions from a single test.
What was your level before your meal ? What was your level when you were feeling tired ? At 2 hours was your 6.3 on the way down or had the fat in the cheese delayed the carb absorption and they were still rising ?
Eat to your meter means using the tests to discover how you handle various foods. Test as many times as you need to, It's your test. You decide when and how often

Reactions: Lamont D