Eye tests

aard

It's been over a year since I last had my eye test.

Are this still being done during COVID?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told last year that in my area they weren’t screening people who’s previous screen was clear. This year however they seem back to normal, I was screened last month.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think you are entitled to have your screening done at least every 2 years now , I've just had mine after 2 yrs the clinic actually got in touch with me .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like others, if you results were clear on the last retinal screening, the frequency has reduced to every two years regardless of covid.
If your last test showed some problems (including background retinopathy), my area has continued screening through the pandemic although I believe there was a break as my annual screen was 16 months since my last.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like others, if you results were clear on the last retinal screening, the frequency has reduced to every two years regardless of covid.
If your last test showed some problems (including background retinopathy), my area has continued screening through the pandemic although I believe there was a break as my annual screen was 16 months since my last.
The nhs site I linked earlier says yearly still
I know normal eye test changed to every other year but didn’t know about this change (but mine do have minor retinopathy so would still maybe have triggered yearly)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you results were clear on the last retinal screening, the frequency has reduced to every two years regardless of covid.

I wonder if it’s become a post code lottery type thing now? Last month’s result for me was clear and the results letter said I’d be called back in a year?

Dark Horse

There was a 'pause' in screening from about March - July 2020 due to the pandemic. Screening programmes used the time to do risk assessments, revise policies, obtain PPE and train staff. During the 'pause' only the highest risk cases were seen. Since July 2020, the screening service has been implementing catch-up screenings (termed 'restoration') for the lower risk patients.

This is the government information about screening intervals for diabetic retinopathy screening:-

"This information is for people waiting longer than usual for their regular diabetic eye screening (DES) appointment during the restoration of the NHS DES Programme due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

We are working to restore DES safely while implementing social distancing and personal protective equipment (PPE) COVID-19 requirements.

People at greatest risk of sight loss are being prioritised as services restore.

You are waiting longer than normal for your next screening appointment because you had no diabetic retinopathy detected at your most recent screening tests and are in the lowest risk group."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-intervals-extended-for-people-at-lowest-risk
Before the pandemic, there were already plans in place to extend the screening interval to 2-yearly for people who have no retinopathy detected at 2 successive screening visits. These patients are at very low risk of sight-threatening retinopathy developing during that interval. There have been some pilot areas trialling the new screenng intervals but it not yet live for the whole nation. Here's the info from PHE:-

"As you may be aware, work is under way to extend the interval between diabetic eye screening (DES) tests from one year to 2 years from people with diabetes at low risk of sight loss. This work is being led by NHS England and Improvement.

People considered at ‘low risk’ are those who have no identified diabetic retinopathy on 2 successive screening tests.

Commissioners will inform local screening providers about the implementation process and all services will transfer to extended intervals in due course.

A small number of ‘pathfinder’ sites will be identified to implement extended intervals over the coming months. This phased rollout will enable us to manage risks and failsafe processes and amend and develop communication plans."
https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...intervals-what-information-do-we-really-need/

Reactions: Struma

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been sent a letter to book an appointment two years since my last check up, as they closed the department for a while then chose to see those most at risk first. Covid extra cleaning and social distancing means they can't see so many people in a day now.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Phone up. I was able to get a cancellation slot for the following day! Would have waited until December otherwise.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I last had one done February 2020 and as far as I'm aware they didn't stop, or at least not for very long. I got a letter this February saying it had been over a year so could I get in touch to make an appointment.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing by the NHS bar the one just after diagnosis in January 2020. I've had two eye checks (re glasses and contact lenses) in the last few months which involved retinal imaging, but it looks like unless I agitate for it the NHS isn't going to call me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just been called for eye screening about 18 months since my last visit.
I don't know if this will permanently shift the 12 month cycle or if they will revert to month of birth once everything setles down.

Dark Horse

Just been called for eye screening about 18 months since my last visit.
I don't know if this will permanently shift the 12 month cycle or if they will revert to month of birth once everything setles down.
Normally people are screened within 3 months of diagnosis and annually thereafter regardless of month of birth. If there is a delay in screening for some reason, it should be annually from the actual date of screening.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Normally people are screened within 3 months of diagnosis and annually thereafter regardless of month of birth. If there is a delay in screening for some reason, it should be annually from the actual date of screening.

That used to be the case but certainly in my area they are trying to move both diabetes reviews and retinal screening to the birth month.
Allegedly that makes it easier for the patient to remember that they are due a review, and chase it.

Dark Horse

That used to be the case but certainly in my area they are trying to move both diabetes reviews and retinal screening to the birth month.
Allegedly that makes it easier for the patient to remember that they are due a review, and chase it.
Interesting. Which area is that?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I phoned the local NHS Trusts appointment service. I got the number for the retinopathy screening service from a previous results letter and basically made my own appointment.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I phoned the local NHS Trusts appointment service. I got the number for the retinopathy screening service from a previous results letter and basically made my own appointment.
Thank you that’s great, I might give that a go too