Accidental double dose of Tresiba

Rachel_H

Hi folks,
I usually take 28 units of Tresiba every morning and did this today. Tonight however instead of administering my night time correction of nova rapid I absent-mindedly readministered 28 units of Tresiba. Any suggestions as to how I should manage this?
Thanks
Rachel

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh dear, tresiba's a 48 hour one isn't it? My guess is you're going to have to test, test and test again. I don't suppose you've got a cgm? That would make life so much easier....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You could always ring 111 for advice. We have to be very careful on here not to give medical advice as we are not HCPs.

And I've just realised you are T2 on insulin, and any advice I gave would be based on T1, which isn't quite the same.

Honestly, I'd ring 111 for advice, being careful to tell them you are T2 on insulin.

I've done the reverse and injected fast acting instead of long acting and had to desperately knock back my glucose tablets, but slow acting should be less potent but last for much longer .... Ugh.

And not many insulin dependent T2s around now to advise, though I think @Erin is Canadian and might be more likely to be around.

Reactions: Marie 2

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear, I'd echo phoning 111 for advice, plus keep some hypo treatments close by.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, call for advice, but make sure to test constantly and hypo treatments nearby. You are probably going to have to eat some extra food at some point, maybe before bedtime. But call and find out what they advise, you won't be the first person to have done it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Second the advice above.. You may need to eat longer acting carbs on top of any fast acting sugar to stave off possible recurrent lows. Milk can help with this if you feel you can only eat soo much..

Best wishes.

T1Mike

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks folks, really helpful. I do have a CGM so that will help.
I’ll keep an eye on it and keep rescue near by.
I agree with calling emergency. For me, I made a similar mistake with Levemir a few months ago. I need about 17 units each day. I accidentally double-dosed (couldn't remember whether I gave it, so unwittingly gave the usual dose). I went low a few hours later and realised then that I double-dosed and started eating fast-acting carbs to treat the low, and slower acting carbs to last a bit longer. Tested regularly, waking up every couple of hours during the night to check on things and eat more if needed. It was horrible. The BG drops continued until the middle of the next day before they started to stabilise.

How did you go? Hope it all went well for you.

T1Mike.