Injections

AnnM99

Hi,
Not sure if I'm right but I was just reading on the Internet that if your hba1c is more than 9% or 10% then it's likely that insulin will be suggested.
My reading was 85. However. On here, it seems that people with higher readings than 85 are on oral drugs.
I'm panicking now. Waiting to see consultant next week and hoping it will be oral tablets. Am I wrong or is this true????

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look at the NICE Diabetes Guidelines on the web. With a high HBA1C it is usual to try oral meds together with trying confirm the right type e.g. T1, T2 or something else. A high HBA1C can be caused by having excess weight and hence insulin resistance. Taking insulin may not help much or at all. If your HBA1C is high because you are T1 (probably slimmer) then it may be essential. So try to get your type determined and if T2 start with orals.

Reactions: AnnM99

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Waiting to see consultant next week and hoping it will be oral tablets. Am I wrong or is this true????
I had a quick look at your previous posts and it looks like you are having some success with diet? (To put it in context, an hba1c of 85 corresponds to an average bg of 13.2mmol/L) Make sure to bring your bg readings to show the consultant. As @Daibell says, if it turns out you are T1 then you will eventually need insulin, which is not the end of the world. (51 years T1 here.) If you are T2, then you may well be able to control everything with diet and/or oral meds. And if you are another type, your consultant will be able to advise.

Try not to worry.

Reactions: AnnM99