What can I add to make black coffee not so bitter, but won’t break fast?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am interested in 16:8 fast. But, 2 days/week I have to be ready by 7 am. I drink coffee in the morning. I am doing keto and normally add cream. Black is too bitter for me. Is there something I can use that won’t break the fast?

I have erythritol. Would that help?

I also add coconut oil, should I hold off in the oil until I have my first meal?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lorib64 I don’t think erythritol or coconut oil will affect your fast.
I have to say though, that I now love black unsweetened coffee and I’m amazed at myself. I never ever thought I’d be able to drink it black. When I first started to drink it without cream it was in cafes that didn’t offer it, and with other people, friends or family I’d be chatting to, so I wasn’t thinking about every bitter mouthful. After a week or two I realised I hadn’t really noticed the bitterness when I was chatting so I tried drinking it at home too, but when I was busy so not concentrating too much on each mouthful. Eventually I came to accept it and now I love it like this - wouldn’t have it any other way in fact, you can really taste and appreciate the taste of the coffee. It has to be good coffee though - I’ve become a bit of a coffee snob!
Good luck with the 16:8 fasting, I’m sure you’ll find it helpful.

Reactions: lorib64

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eventually I came to accept it and now I love it like this - wouldn’t have it any other way in fact, you can really taste and appreciate the taste of the coffee. It has to be good coffee though - I’ve become a bit of a coffee snob!
Not a snob when it comes to coffee really, like you I drink black coffee with out any additives such as sweeteners, cream or what ever.

@lorib64 I have also tried black coffee with a small pinch of salt in it when we have been out bush. It's a bit of an acquired taste though.

Reactions: lorib64 and DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am interested in 16:8 fast. But, 2 days/week I have to be ready by 7 am. I drink coffee in the morning. I am doing keto and normally add cream. Black is too bitter for me. Is there something I can use that won’t break the fast?

I also add coconut oil, should I hold off in the oil until I have my first meal?

I put cream in my coffee when fasting.. why do you think it might be a problem?
10 ml is enough for me in my large coffee mug.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering if it counts as a meal. I use about 5he equivalent

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try a search for "bullet proof" coffee. Basically it's just added butter and blitz in a blender. I tried it a couple of times and it's quite a nice way of taking coffee. Popular with keto warriors AFAIK but I can't comment any further but might work for you.

HTH

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What kind of coffee do you usually drink?
I just ask because there might be less bitter options out there, like if you drink ground coffee, then arabica is less bitter than robusta, and colombian arabica is usually less bitter than brazilian/ kenyan etc. Also you can go for lighter roasts- more floral, more acidic, less bitter. That sort of thing. If you go for instant coffee, the japanese instant coffees come in a wide range of 'light to dark' options and they might be available online etc.
I see some good tips above about what you can add to your coffee to make it less bitter, but I just feel it might be easier in the long term to wean yourself onto black coffee.

Reactions: DJC3

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you I drink Arabica. I think it is decent coffee. I may try decreasing the cream over time

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also going to advise a tiny amount of salt - I use the Lidl ground coffee that looks like a gold brick. It is very good coffee and also good value.

HypnoFee

I used to have a pinch of salt in my black coffee. It doesn't break your fast whereas sweetners, flavours etc do. I used to use low salt for the potassium which also stopped the horrendous leg cramps that sometimes occur when fasting. Good luck xx