Metformin

kiraharris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon
Does anyone else get a bottle of various makes of metformin each month
Just as l get used to a make it changes ….3 different makes in the bottle this month!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My metformin comes in a separate packet with 4 foil packs of 14 pills in each I have never had a bottle of Metformin pills .Do yours come from a pharmacy ?
Carol

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon
Just as l get used to a make it changes ….3 different makes in the bottle this month!!
When I was on it My pharmacy changed the make almost every month. Different manufacturers, pill sizes. But all 500mg SR Metformin. Basically whatever was cheapest I suspect

I never noticed a difference. My ex's codeine they changed every month too. But he did say certain brands even though identical in theory didn't always work the same

kiraharris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The metformin comes from the chemist…. Brown plastic bottle… says multiple manufacturers

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The metformin comes from the chemist…. Brown plastic bottle… says multiple manufacturers
That's, erm, interesting... Never seen any chemist do It that way before but have had decanted pills of other types delivered like that so it's not unheard of, but Not usually Metformin. Maybe it's new thing.

Given Metformin has usually been in blister packs maybe this is some new approach to reduce waste? Or more likely, save money

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Good afternoon
I've never heard of the liquid form? Mine is in a packet and the pills vary. Some are huge while others are long and thin, which are easiest ones to swallow for me

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard of the liquid form? Mine is in a packet and the pills vary. Some are huge while others are long and thin, which are easiest ones to swallow for me
There is a liquid form, doesn't seem very often prescribed but I know what you mean about the sizing. The best I ever had was a small sized ones, didn't get them very often

But lucky I don't have a problem taking pills

Reactions: coby

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In case of any problems, there should be a batch number on dispensed medication. If you have three different brands in one bottle how are the batch numbers included in the info on the bottle’s label? And how would anyone know which batch number applies to which of the three types of tablets?
Can I just ask if you are in the UK, and are you getting your meds from a legitimate pharmacy?

JohhnyHachoo

Good afternoon
Before I was switched off of Metformin, I found every month I would get it from a different manufacturer.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you struggle to swallow your pills you may find that taking them with a spoonful of yoghurt instead of water .It works for me
Carol

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is in a packet and the pills vary. Some are huge while others are long and thin, which are easiest ones to swallow for me
I had the same problem with one of my meds, so I asked my pharmacy (I always use the same one), to always dispense the long thin ones.
It may also solve @kiraharris ’s problem as there may be less makes of the long thin type?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
If you struggle to swallow your pills you may find that taking them with a spoonful of yoghurt instead of water .It works for me
Carol
Carty, I found a way around swallowing them (by accident). I find, if you place the tablet to the side of your mouth rather than the back of the tongue, it slips down almost unnoticed!!! :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carty, I found a way around swallowing them (by accident). I find, if you place the tablet to the side of your mouth rather than the back of the tongue, it slips down almost unnoticed!!! :)
I sometimes have to take Naproxen. They come as old school big round chalky tablets with no coating. Next time I will try your method or @carty 's yoghurt idea.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking Metformin they came in various brand name boxes, I never got them loose in bottle though.

Probably like cat food, it's all the same product just a different wrapper. :D

Covlocks

Good afternoon
Don’t know any U.K. pharmacy that is allowed to dispense individual pills in a bottle. All prescriptions must be supplied in sealed packets along with the appropriate leaflets, batch codes and dates.