Inconsistent messaging with GP and Diabetic Nurse

JohhnyHachoo

When I first saw th diabetic nurse and started monitoring my blood sugar due to Glickazide, I was advised to send in any trends that were concerning. I was told they would respond and advise. Nurse said it could be medication or changes in diet.

For almost 6 months, a few blips but they always resovled themselves. However, last week I noticed an uptick in my blood glucose levels and sent in my blood sugar levels because I felt I was doing what I was asked.

GP calls and very dismissive and tells me there is nothing that needs to be done. He stated he relies on Hb1AC and not daily blood tests. I come from a math and statisitcs background. I know about variation and sampling. Nonetheless, the trend continues. If I am to be blase about testing an rely on Hb1AC great, then why test?

I think a lot this comes down to my GP, to the best of my knowledge, no longer has a permanent GP as the last GP retired. Instead they use locums and it seems as though there is a lack of commitment by the GPs. For me, having a consistent message about what needs flagging will be helpful.

Reactions: Jackie on a journey

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Although they rely on HbA1c it can mask worrying blips if we cycle between low and too high.
I only tried to share my daily BS figures once, then gave up and used it for myself - but I wasn't on any diabetic meds.
It might help to record figures fasting, before and after meals for a week along with everything you eat (especially the amount of carbs) then ask to see your diabetic nurse.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If your BS is rising without any reasonable explanation and you are not overweight then it's possible you are late onset T1. The Gliclazide will help and the dose could be increased? If you are slim etc then do ask the GP (what GP?) for the two tests but it looks like your surgery may not help much at the moment. Make sure you are having a low-carb diet.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was prescribed gliclazide on initial diagnosis and it combined with a low carb diet and exercise did certainly reduce my HbA1c levels for a while. However eventually my HbA1c started to rise quite rapidly and my GP referred me to secondary care and the diabetes clinic where I was prescribed insulin with the result that my HbA1c has now fallen to an acceptable level.
The average GP has no in depth understanding of diabetes due to very limited training on what is a complex range of conditions ; can't really be too critical as they are by definition 'generalists'.
upload_2021-8-17_20-31-15.png

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If your BS is rising without any reasonable explanation and you are not overweight then it's possible you are late onset T1. The Gliclazide will help and the dose could be increased? If you are slim etc then do ask the GP (what GP?) for the two tests but it looks like your surgery may not help much at the moment. Make sure you are having a low-carb diet.
I'm not sure that particular medication will help a type 1 diabetic as it looks to stimulate the body to produce more insulin ... that does not sound like a good idea to me ... maybe time for an antibody test