Newly diagnosed

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
If Burgen Bread is still too high in carbs for you then if you are able to bake, you can make your own low carb/keto bread. Just google keto bread for recipes.
They tend to have only 2gms of carbs per slice, though they will taste different because they are based upon either Almond Flour or Coconut Flour..

Personally I don't eat any bread at all these days, but many in this forum do.
Thank you. X

Annieshar

I'm not taking any medication and was simply told to exercise and eat healthy. My confusion is the eat healthy advice given by NHS and on Diabetes uk learning zone, differs from what people with diabetes recommend. I just feel confused by it all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not taking any medication and was simply told to exercise and eat healthy. My confusion is the eat healthy advice given by NHS and on Diabetes uk learning zone, differs from what people with diabetes recommend. I just feel confused by it all.

In your position I'd be looking for who gets the best results..

NHS and DUK I'd guess don't get much remission whereas we do..?

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I am trying not to but what do I eat at work for lunch, to fill me up? I will look up that bread and try my best at making it. X

How about meat and salad or some form
Of protein and salad? Could that work for you? It’s hard, I was a baguette girl myself (plus the office donuts, crisps, chocolates lol) but you do get used to it, or at least a lot of people on this forum do this daily and have done so for years.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
How about meat and salad or some form
Of protein and salad? Could that work for you? It’s hard, I was a baguette girl myself (plus the office donuts, crisps, chocolates lol) but you do get used to it, or at least a lot of people on this forum do this daily and have done so for years.
Yes I think it is going to b salads all the way. Thank you. X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Thanks. I am trying not to but what do I eat at work for lunch, to fill me up? I will look up that bread and try my best at making it. X
SuNuman could you take salads in a tupperware? I know that hard boiled eggs with cheese added to leafy greens always fills me up (and a few nuts to eat later maybe?

Reactions: SuNuman

Annieshar

couldn’t agree more! I wish someone would rewrite the official guidance!
So advice for a healthy balanced diet doesn't get remission? I'd decided to switch to wholegrain carbs and reduce portions. Increase fruit/veg and go low fat. This seems to be the standard NHS advice. On here I'm seeing that I should look to cut out carbs, don't worry too much about fat and increase protein . And be careful about fruit. Am I understandings this properly?

Reactions: KidDougi

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
So advice for a healthy balanced diet doesn't get remission? I'd decided to switch to wholegrain carbs and reduce portions. Increase fruit/veg and go low fat. This seems to be the standard NHS advice. On here I'm seeing that I should look to cut out carbs, don't worry too much about fat and increase protein . And be careful about fruit. Am I understandings this properly?
Absolutely! You are realising that the dr's advice is wrong. They have to say what they do because of sticking to the guidelines. Just a few will waver

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
SuNuman could you take salads in a tupperware? I know that hard boiled eggs with cheese added to leafy greens always fills me up (and a few nuts to eat later maybe?
Yes I think salad is the answer now. Thanks. X

Reactions: coby

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Baby bells hold up for a few hours with out a fridge. Pepperoni sticks, olives and nuts.
Also an nice cauliflower or broccoli soup with cream and shredded cheese add right before eating it. Can be kept in a thermos.
Thank you.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of all into use a bg monitor to see what your body likes and doesn't like. We are all different, some tolerate more carbs than others, some tolerate different carbs. And to add to the confusion things can change over time. So by testing your own sugars you can work out what suits you

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ended up almost spherical after so much pushing to 'eat healthy' - I used the printouts to light the barbecue the day after diagnosis, have eaten red meat and fat ever since, never felt better, the diabetes seems fixed and I am a lot thinner.

Reactions: KidDougi

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
The Diabetes UK advice is conflicting, but they do have some low carb diet plans:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/meal-plans/low-carb
And they seem to be starting to feel pressure to re-assess given the below position statement:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...style/low-carb-diets-for-people-with-diabetes
Edit: Note the pdf at the second link ends in a recommendation section on page 5 that recommends lower carb diets in the 50 - 130g range, so an outright endorsement of the low carb approach from Diabetes UK as of May 2021 - but done very quietly with a lot of caveating to spare them their blushes.

The NHS - a lot of people here feel it makes no mention of low carb, but I think this may be outdated. My local NHS provided info that mention it as a possible approach for remission alongside Mediterranean diets when I was diagnosed. The local dieticians seem happy with whatever works for that individual and their printed literature for 2021 states that the amount of carbs is more important than the type, i.e. change to wholemeal by all means but also manage the amount in the first place to a reasonable amount. The national printed literature they supplied was terrible though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annieshar

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Livlife bread is lower carb, under 4g a slice. Carbzone wraps also good at 4g a wrap for the smaller ones. Both taste good and then you can just add your normal fillings.

KidDougi

I ended up almost spherical after so much pushing to 'eat healthy' - I used the printouts to light the barbecue the day after diagnosis, have eaten red meat and fat ever since, never felt better, the diabetes seems fixed and I am a lot thinner.

NHS are still fixed on the idea that fats are bad for you. But the original research which declared this was done badly and wrong. Processed sugars are the real enemy! As we have all discovered.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That looks like you are understanding it entirely correctly, yes. If you get a home blood glucose monitor, the kind you use on your finger (they are essentially painless and fairly simple to use), you will be able to get ample objective evidence that you are on the right track- should you wish to check.