Newly diagnosed

Annieshar

If your Hba1c is 51 then you are only just into diabetes territory.
I would expect that a few swaps and reductions in high carb foods would soon reduce your levels.
We can cope with protein and fat just fine, so don't be concerned about lowering them - you might find a blood glucose tester will help to show you how much and of what you should be eating, but don't be misled by advice to eat brown carbs rather than white ones - they are still carbs.

Annieshar

I'm really sorry to be asking a question again but I'm struggling to fully understand what I'm doing. I used the metre for first time and prior to eating my level was 4.7. When I tested again 2 hours later my level was 12. I'd also done a 30 minute walk after my dinner. Can you help me to understand these readings?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really sorry to be asking a question again but I'm struggling to fully understand what I'm doing. I used the metre for first time and prior to eating my level was 4.7. When I tested again 2 hours later my level was 12. I'd also done a 30 minute walk after my dinner. Can you help me to understand these readings?
What did you eat? The walk may have helped bring the level down a bit, but it only went high becuase of what you ate. Whatever it was was too carby for you.
Aim to have a rise of only 2 after each meal, so in this example a start at 4.7 (which is brilliant) should go to no more than 6.7 2 hours after eating.

Reactions: Annieshar

Annieshar

What did you eat? The walk may have helped bring the level down a bit, but it only went high becuase of what you ate. Whatever it was was too carby for you.
Aim to have a rise of only 2 after each meal, so in this example a start at 4.7 (which is brilliant) should go to no more than 6.7 2 hours after eating.
Thank you! I thought I'd see how it went with wholegrain pasta. I had pesto and pancetta with it.

Iona May

See if you can sign up for the diabetes X-pert course. I have just completed it and its absolutely brilliant. It explains how the eat-well plate (high carb low fat) works for others but not for diabetics and how we need to stick to less than 130g carbs a day. I stick to between 30g and 50g but its what works for you. Also if you can get your hands on a carbs and cals book it will make the counting carbs much simpler. I have cut out all pasta, potatoes, rice etc and it is easier than you think once you get started with it.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
GI of white pasta = 42. GI of wholegrain pasta = 37. So pasta is already fairly low GI, and wholegrain pasta versus standard pasta won't make much difference. and won't solve the underlying problem of quantity of carbs hitting the bloodstream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I thought I'd see how it went with wholegrain pasta. I had pesto and pancetta with it.
Pasta, whether white or wholemeal is a no no for most of us, and now you too.
Aren't the bg meters informative and useful? It will be invaluable for you for the next few weeks and months while you try lots of different foods

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2

The readings are the objective evidence that people who advise you to eat wholegrain etc are likely to put anyone who listens to them in an early grave. Try the same test after a low-carb meal of chicken and broccoli, or cauliflower cheese, or pork and cabbage etc: you will immediately see much better results.

Palmer6

Thank you for your reply. I've went out and bought whole grain bread, pasta etc and increased my fruit intake but this sounds like the wrong approach? Cutting out the carbs is the key?
Hi yes try tracking your carbs to 50g per day. Some great books out there on reversing T2 with food - good luck x

KidDougi

I would disagree a little with this.
Shortly after I was first diagnosed I started to exercise while fasting and found my BG levels would still go up significantly. I was told that the reason for this was because of my glucose reserves in my liver, (but I would now include those in my muscles too). So exercise on its own can increase your BG levels.

But beyond that I would agree that a better understanding of carb intake will help reduce the BG peeks. Along with time to use up your liver reserves.

In the first few weeks of my diagnosis my levels were spiking at 10 -16, after a meal. But as I increase my exercising and reduced my carbs I rarely go over 8, even after a relatively ‘high’ carb meal.

The biggest improvement on my BG levels, happened when I started to exercise while in a fasting state, i.e early morning, before breakfast. And yes, it was very difficult to aim towards the cross trainer instead of the breakfast bowl!!