Dark chocolate covered nuts

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone have a brand or source of these? I love a few of these as a treat (usually Brazil but not fussed so long as it’s a low carb nut eg pecan, almond, macadamia) but cannot for love nor money find any. The few on Amazon that do list carbs are only 70% chocolate even fewer that list carbs are around 40%. (My usual choc is about 85% and 19% carbs)

am I going to have to resort to doing my own? Any tips from anyone that does this how to make it easier and less messy?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Anyone have a brand or source of these? I love a few of these as a treat (usually Brazil but not fussed so long as it’s a low carb nut eg pecan, almond, macadamia) but cannot for love nor money find any. The few on Amazon that do list carbs are only 70% chocolate even fewer that list carbs are around 40%. (My usual choc is about 85% and 19% carbs)

am I going to have to resort to doing my own? Any tips from anyone that does this how to make it easier and less messy?
For an evening treat I put a mixture of nuts on a side plate (about 6 to 8 nuts) and then I break up a square of Lindt 85% choc into about the same amount of pieces .. then put a slither of the choc into my mouth to melt as I eat each nut. It's absolutely yummy :)

AbbayMel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Forrest Feast dark chocolate salted almonds from Sainsbury's they hit the right sweet/salty spot for me, though have more carbs than I would like at 30.9g per 100g.

Andy Foster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Godiva 90% dark chocloate is ten times better than Lindt 85% - tastes almost sweet and is much smoother. one square in the mouth with a pinch of fresh coffee beans and a couple of walnut chunks is a perfect crunchy chocolatey treat. Asda sell the godiva at 2 bars for £3.00 currrently

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Godiva 90% dark chocloate is ten times better than Lindt 85% - tastes almost sweet and is much smoother. one square in the mouth with a pinch of fresh coffee beans and a couple of walnut chunks is a perfect crunchy chocolatey treat. Asda sell the godiva at 2 bars for £3.00 currrently
Taste in chocolate is obviously very personal, I found the Godiva particularly unpleasant it was the artificial sweetness I didn't like. My preference is Green & Black's 85% or Waitrose No1 Peru 80%.
I hope someone comes up with a good source of chocolate covered nuts. I could make my own of course but dipping nuts in chocolate sounds messy. :)

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Holland and Barrett sell the brazil ones - own brand - more chocolate than nut though. Payne do a dark one too but not sure of the carbs on though. M&S ones are more nut than chocolate so thinking a slightly better choice. My dad does dates in dark chocolate as a treat so similar process and not too messy.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s also made with a different process so you lose the beneficial flavonoids. But I agree it does taste better and from memory is slight lower carb.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Holland and Barrett sell the brazil ones - own brand - more chocolate than nut though. Payne do a dark one too but not sure of the carbs on though. M&S ones are more nut than chocolate so thinking a slightly better choice. My dad does dates in dark chocolate as a treat so similar process and not too messy.
Thanks I’ll check those brands. Dates are high in carbs so I’ll give them a miss thanks.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone have a brand or source of these?

We go up to the macadamia processors here in Bundy and buy them from the shop there, you can buy online but not sure if they send to foreign countries though.

These are grown and processed in the Wide Bay area where sugar plantations were prevalent.

Dark chocolate: https://shop.macadamiasaustralia.net/product/dark-chocolate-macadamias/?v=6cc98ba2045f
Milk chocolate: https://shop.macadamiasaustralia.net/product/milk-chocolate-macadamias/?v=6cc98ba2045f

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We go up to the macadamia processors here in Bundy and buy them from the shop there, you can buy online but not sure if they send to foreign countries though.

These are grown and processed in the Wide Bay area where sugar plantations were prevalent.

Dark chocolate: https://shop.macadamiasaustralia.net/product/dark-chocolate-macadamias/?v=6cc98ba2045f
Milk chocolate: https://shop.macadamiasaustralia.net/product/milk-chocolate-macadamias/?v=6cc98ba2045f
They are much cheaper in qld than here. Never had them before I lived in Hervey Bay. Can’t afford them often back here in the U.K. maybe I need to get a mate to post me some.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The macadamia crop is down a bit this year because of the drought, and the state government in their infinite wisdom knocking the top off of one of the major dams in the area as it was considered unsafe.

https://www.sunwater.com.au/dams/paradise-dam/

I went to Childers hospital from Bundaberg hospital late last year for a 24 hour observation period in the back of an ambulance. I had plenty of time to look around over the 50 km trip, where there used to be cane fields, they are all macadamia plantations now ,except some cane being grown as wind breaks for the younger trees.

So there might be good rain fall one day to break the drought for cheaper macca's to be exported.

Edit: Typos.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own put a square of your favourite dark chocolate in a small dish blast in microwave for a few seconds (test to see ) soft but not too soft mix in a handful of nuts then just mix until fully coated cool in fridge or eat warm if you can't wait :) . You can add double cream to the mix before it sets then mix well until it becomes .mousse like add a few berries and you have a yummy pud
Carol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not exactly what you're looking for, but a variation on this might be a good alternative: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chocolate-peanut-squares.
I use a lot more nuts than the recipe says, and you can easily use more than I do, making them more nut than chocolate.
I also use almond or hazelnut butter instead of peanut butter because I'm not a fan of the peanut/chocolate combination.

The nice part of this recipe is that it can't go wrong, as opposed to all recipes using chocolate and cream. No risk of separating!

My version of the recipe is as follows:
- 125 gr of chocolate. (Aldi's 85% chocolate bars are 125 grams)
- 75 gr of butter.
- 75 gr of nut butter.
Optional things like powdered chilli, ginger or cloves.
- Lots of nuts. (In your case, triple the amount of nuts to lots lots lots of nuts.)

Melt au bain marie, mix with nuts, let set in a flat bowl with parchment paper.
Once cooled you can easily cut squares, so no mess with trying to coat individual nuts with chocolate. :)

Running melted chocolate over some nuts on a rack is all well and good if you're competing in GBBO, not so good though when you're the one having to buy the chocolate and cleaning up the kitchen!

135889434_10222586387442737_7083001590126276226_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Aldi do a very nice dark chocolate with roasted hazelnuts, 200g bar, in the Choceur range. It is a low carbohydrate treat if you stick to the suggested portion. However I have will power rather than won't power so it can become a case of I've started so I'll finish! I have learned just not to buy it