Severe constipation

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I have been suffering from severe constipation for a long time I know it's proberly a subject most people don't want to talk about but does anyone else here suffer from severe constipation?. If so do you know anything you could recommend that helps?. Thanks

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I have been suffering from severe constipation for a long time I know it's proberly a subject most people don't want to talk about but does anyone else here suffer from severe constipation?. If so do you know anything you could recommend that helps?. Thanks
I have had trouble after operations, fibregel worked for me. Plus loads of water although you probably have tried that already. Also you could try psyllium husks from Holland and Barrett although definitely drink loads with these and start with small dose.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Hotpepper20000

I would recommend more fat in your diet. Full fat yogurt, butter on vegetables, full fat cream in your coffee.
I’m one of those people that more seeds, fibre or God for bid psyllium husks, make it far far worse. Perhaps that’s the case for you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you contacted your GP on this?
I'm not sure how severe your constipation is, as it can range from discomfort and mild pain to excruciating and hospital admissions.
It would help if you'd tell us where on this scale you are, and what you've already done or been prescribed.

While it's fine for members to share what they do when constipated, it's a completely different case if you haven't been able to go for a week and are in severe pain.
Advising home remedies in this case can be dangerous.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If so do you know anything you could recommend that helps?.
I have intermittent bouts of constipation, my GP recommended I use either OsmoLax or Movicol which are a over the counter product to soften the stools. It has helped me when I have been really badly constipated and works well after a couple of days.

Here in Australia we can get it on a GP prescription at PBS prices.

I can only find a eBay link for OsmoLax in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40256500...-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

Movicol.

https://www.expresschemist.co.uk/movicol-ready-to-take-30-sachets.html

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've suffered from it for sometime.
For what ever reason I have a dump about once every 3 or 4 days.
Had a series of tests via GP, stool analysis and been told nothing to worry about...
Tried the usual list of things and nothing really has been as helpful as Laxido.
I take one a day, any less can cause problems..... which I never want to go near again....
Wish you well @static192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on opioid pain killers for months and they completely bind you. I told the GP and he gave me an armful of stuff to fix it. The Senekot was not man enough and neither was the sugary drink stuff (forgot the name). The success story was sachets of CosmoCol which is a powder that you mix. I thought of it as a more gentle version of that stuff they give you when you go for a colonoscopy. So it was morphine and CosmoCol for a few months. It worked for me.

Last edited:

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Personally, I've noticed an increase in med-related hypothyroidism, and an ease, when euthyroid correction is reached. So, for me it has been a matter of drug interaction. In the intereme I found Senna type OTC meds to help. I think this merits a question to a doctor, as it may cause damage if it is chronic.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a carnivore diet I have very little waste headed for the exit, so sometimes I don't go for two weeks. Which leaves things in there quite too long. I find that senna helps, in combination with probiotics, to keep things moving when I feel it's high time.

That said...

My diet, like I said, produces very little waste. If you're eating veg and the like though, that bulks up and it really does need somewhere to go. Things can get painful, bloody, and very distressing. So rather than going with the home remedies, get in touch with your GP. You don't want to end up in hospital, and your plumbing will thank you for intervening now rather than letting it get to a head.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had this so bad after an operation, I think it was the Fentanyl, I can't remember the term but my stomach impacted I think they said, it was awful, they gave me enermas? embarrassing! two different pils, what a terrible thing, sorry, useless post but I empathise and I hope you get this sorted.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah it's really horrible and uncomfortable this luckily I managed to go yesterday maybe walking around for few hours helped. I will try the suggestion that you guys have mentioned

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find a breakfast mix of milled flaxseed and chai seed works. I have it as a porridge mix, add seeds and a small amount of nuts plus cinnamon, mix with hot water plus a spoon of coconut milk, zap in microwave, served with double cream. Adds enough bulk and then the coconut and double cream on top helps its slip through.
With a milky coffee it is still under 20g carbs.

Beefeater

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a carnivore diet I have very little waste headed for the exit, so sometimes I don't go for two weeks. Which leaves things in there quite too long. I find that senna helps, in combination with probiotics, to keep things moving when I feel it's high time.

That said...

My diet, like I said, produces very little waste. If you're eating veg and the like though, that bulks up and it really does need somewhere to go. Things can get painful, bloody, and very distressing. So rather than going with the home remedies, get in touch with your GP. You don't want to end up in hospital, and your plumbing will thank you for intervening now rather than letting it get to a head.

This is true I'm on carnivore and OMD. I find I go rarely and I find that dairy helps.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah it's really horrible and uncomfortable this
Indeed! Here is my solution:

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/Downloads/pdf/PiGlycerineSuppositories.pdf

I find it is important to keep on top of this problem by using a suppository 2-3 times daily, otherwise what is inside becomes harder and rockier and more impossible/painful to get out. The suppositories can be bought over the counter but also prescribed by a GP. IMO they are life-savers, or at the very least have saved me from showing up at A&E in the middle of the night suffering from impacted stool. I'm delighted to see from this leaflet that regular long-term use is not contra-indicated. I do consume lots of milled linseed etc, but the effect on my bowels seems to be minimal, whereas the suppositories work like a depth charge!
NB they do need to be lubricated. Water is usually suggested, but I like a combination of water (on the tip of the suppository) and KY jelly (on me). When the instructions say to moisten the tip of the little torpedo, pay attention! The first time I thought more was better and moistened it all. The resulting chase as it zoomed all round my bathroom was quite exciting! Good luck!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The resulting chase as it zoomed all round my bathroom was quite exciting! Good luck!
Must of ricocheted around the porcelain bowl before zooming out.:D

I have not had one of those inserted for a long time.:arghh:

he success story was sachets of CosmoCol which is a powder that you mix. I thought of it as a more gentle version of that stuff they give you when you go for a colonoscopy.
I had a Picolax drink, and a kit containing a satchet of magnesium citrate and three greeny yellow tablets (this stuff is explosive) then another Picolax drink to take before having my colonoscopy done earlier this year which left my insides squeaky clean for the camera.

One the two opioid painkillers I take can cause constipation, it's called Oxycododone, no mention of Fentanyl patches which I also have prescribed though.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All opiates can have constipation as a side effect.
Thanks for the info, the oncologist did not say anything about the fentanyl, she just warned me about the oxycocdone. That's why I take the OsmoLax in a drink of cordial to keep it at bay.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info, the oncologist did not say anything about the fentanyl, she just warned me about the oxycocdone. That's why I take the OsmoLax in a drink of cordial to keep it at bay.
I expect the fentanyl being the mildest of opiates in side effects because they're absorbed through the skin instead of going directly into the digestive system.
However, intravenous or subcutaneous opiates have the same side effect, so it might just be the fentanyl is often a first step on the opiates ladder, with less of the stuff being absorbed than with orals or pumps as next steps?
I do know for sure smoked opiates will constipate you, so perhaps it's not the route to absorbtion deciding the side effects.

Anyway, we're drifting off topic, and I'm no pharmacist.