ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I hope I'm not being too premature but I maybe teetering on NIL units of insulin and still only tolerating 1000mg of Metformin. No other diabetic meds except for high blood pressure. I'm back to only having high blood pressure when my bgs are good.
High bgs gives me loads more energy but highest bg is no more than 8.0 on my meter.
When I'm running at 5-6 I'm tired a lot.
Even after a thorough investigation and removal of nasty gallbladder.
Only down side so far to no insulin is I'm waking up needing the bathroom once or twice in a night. So I might need a blood test but hear there is a shortage of vials of which it's collected in.
I'll book a test if GP is happy for me to be tested.
Anyone else with any good news about insulin?

Reactions: Redshank

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Just wow ickihun, that's brilliant news. So pleased for you.

Re waking in the night, do you drink diet drinks? I and some of my friends have found we need the bathroom less at night if we don't drink them. Having said that, I did wake tonight lol

Reactions: ickihun

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful achievement, @ickihun. I am so very happy for you. I know you worked long and hard for this.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, well done @ickihun, I've followed your posts on here for a long time and your various struggles would have floored a less determined woman! You are a true inspiration, always battling on, doing your research, bringing up your family at the same time, just wow! x

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the most stunning headline of the day award sorted.
I can see by your Sig that your diagnosis nearly goes back 20 years.
Then you went through the rollercoaster before having bariatric surgery in 2019.
How does your doc/endo explain your magically performing beta cells 20 years post diagnosis ?

This is inspirational stuff

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow! Just wow ickihun, that's brilliant news. So pleased for you.

Re waking in the night, do you drink diet drinks? I and some of my friends have found we need the bathroom less at night if we don't drink them. Having said that, I did wake tonight lol
Thanks @zand friends like you are the true inspiration. You gave me the determination to carry this through. Your journey and your constant determination made me see it is possible. Thank you, sincerely. :) :) :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing!

If you could bottle that….

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Amazing. Congrats.
Thanks @Jim Lahey Yahoo. I'll ask nurse for a hba1c if GP hasn't done one by mid Oct'21. I'm monitoring just incase. In fact I've had to buy more glucose tablets so I don't get court out. I've had a few low 5s when out uniform shopping. I think my surgeon has fixed something very well in my abdomen as I've improved since my investigatory and gallbladder removal op in June. My sync has kicked in, it seems. ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Amazing!

If you could bottle that….
I'd only share with the NHS though. They have helped me enormously this past 5yrs. I too would like to give them something back.
Of course this forum has loads to be thanked for too. People like you too. ;)

Reactions: zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow, well done @ickihun, I've followed your posts on here for a long time and your various struggles would have floored a less determined woman! You are a true inspiration, always battling on, doing your research, bringing up your family at the same time, just wow! x
Thank you @KK123 It has all been worth it. I wouldn't let the insulin win. I have wrestled with in throughout. In all different ways. It makes a huge difference when your nhs teams believe in you. I've been encouraged throughout in an intelligent way. I've been trusted to do what I feel uses the insulin in a positive way to improve my health not just keep me alive. It's a powerful medication to medicate the liver rather than the pancreas. Ironically. Metformin has its place for sure, for some.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That's the most stunning headline of the day award sorted.
I can see by your Sig that your diagnosis nearly goes back 20 years.
Then you went through the rollercoaster before having bariatric surgery in 2019.
How does your doc/endo explain your magically performing beta cells 20 years post diagnosis ?

This is inspirational stuff
Myself I medicated pre diagnosis by heavy protein eating but made the mistake of eating too much Carbs for me. On top. My beta cells may be OK I'm not ill without insulin so far. I'm monitoring heavily but has no cause for concern and endo doc has done a few c-peptides. Not sure if he'll want to do another one? I checked my ketone on numerous occasions and it's always low.
Time will be the biggest proof of our treatment being the right one for me.

Reactions: zand and KK123

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Sooooooo good. I know you've been through it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done @ickihun , such a long journey you’ve been on and you’ve come through with this, no insulin brilliant news!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Very well done @ickihun , such a long journey you’ve been on and you’ve come through with this, no insulin brilliant news!
I know. It's early days but this time I feel very hopeful because I'm not getting very high bgs like I've had previously or when I've had an infection. Good steady lower than 8s and 5s before meals. Waking on good fbgs gives the good start. I'm still using a fatty protein before bed.
I use reheated potato and enjoy roast dinners and fish/seafood pie. I have high protein meals and my kidneys still measure as normal.
I see a craving as proof of a previous bad meal combination. I learn by it and move on. No guilt at all.
If I don't buy bad foods they cannot be eaten in my home.
A treat is allowed as long as balanced out in the next meal.
Some days I eat very little and some days I can eat 3 meals. Only 1 course worth though. Satiety comes from tasty protein. Made by what I make myself or cooked by others.
What I like the most about having the Roux-en-y operation is I'm one of very few who haven't added anything after my op 2yrs ago. Many add around 6lb or more. Not me. I've had odd bits of water retention from old adhesions.
I'm still on weight adding meds so if I wasn't I'd have lost more weight. Ironically Asthma hasn't improved but I'm sure risk of heart failure has. Activity reduces heart disease not just weight loss. My cholesterol is still good and not on any statin. My thyroid is still under active but has improved greatly.
Metformin works better for me if my body uses it well (no loose tummies) so 1000mg to 1500mg works if I eat enough. No loose tummies keep me feeling stronger and my hair/ nails stronger. I upkeep my B12 injection therapy.
Lockdown just placed my efforts in suspense. Like many other's plans.

How are you doing?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This morning an excellent 6.8 fbg after rice and a sweet with my dinner. I think I have to question any reactive hypoglycaemia because of a Roux-en-y operation. So more testing is needed. I want clear answers for myself before I speak to diabetes unit in mid-October. I will get GP to do normal blood tests. Unit will hv to do fasting C-peptide.
I'm delighted with my bgs to date. I still rise as I'm eating which is normal even in none diabetics. 2hrs later I'm down to 5s and odd 4s. Hba1c won't give an accurate picture but should be lower than last one.
I'm just soooo happy with my bgs reactions to my food now. It's taken sooo long I'm having to pinch myself.
Just getting my head around it and get a maintenance plan and sticking to it now.
He he he he I cannot stop smiling ☺ :) :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm loving this.
So far all good diabetes wise. I cannot wait to tell my surgeon and his team. :) :) :)
No insulin injected and I'm using 1000mg metformin. Without metformin I can get a bigger hunger pang.
I still block out any carb craving with a protein. It works like magic. It doesn't have to be much either.
My fbg after morning meds is 6.0fbg. :) :) :)

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm loving this.
So far all good diabetes wise. I cannot wait to tell my surgeon and his team. :) :) :)

Them figures seem great plus the FBG falling is a great sign.
Yours is truly one for the medical textbooks.
When's your next lab A1c due ? It's gonna be in the low 30s based on those figures.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm loving this.
No insulin injected and I'm using 1000mg metformin. Without metformin I can get a bigger hunger pang.
I still block out any carb craving with a protein. It works like magic. It doesn't have to be much either.
My fbg after morning meds is 6.0fbg. :) :) :)
So happy for you. I love these updates. I have been knocked back by a few things in my body going wrong. You are motivating me to get back up and fight again.
Thank you