cheapest keto meals(include price card)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Drfarxan, the lady you refer to, do you know what she eats now? You mention rice of course but what would be her typical meals (if you know), sometimes that can help people advise on cheaper alternatives. For example a cheaper meat stew could last a person 3/4 days especially when accompanied by lots of veg.

Drfarxan

Hi @Drfarxan, the lady you refer to, do you know what she eats now? You mention rice of course but what would be her typical meals (if you know), sometimes that can help people advise on cheaper alternatives. For example a cheaper meat stew could last a person 3/4 days especially when accompanied by lots of veg.
where i am that is in turkey even meat stue is expensive for people like her. Chicken is cheaper but for her the most economical sound food she can by is rice,bread,potatoes. They are very cheap and last longer. Chicken is cheap but its a one meal food type,while a bag of rice(2.5 kg) costs around 1 usd and it lasts for 2 weeks or more. Bread is also one meal type of food but its cheap and people can offer buying it everyday. Red meat and fish are expensive and 300gram is per day if she makes a stue.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As several people have said, red meat, or any meat, is not necessary.

Rising food prices affect all people, not only keto eaters

Why keto? Why not just low carb and eat vegetables too? Low carb is less than 130g of carbs a day. Which is better than the 300g a day mentioned by @Drfarxan

Reactions: KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the carnivores on here who always claim it doesn't cost any more to be keto could advise?

Reactions: lucylocket61

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
This information is probably of no use for Turkey but for UK and I suspect for other western countries Organ meat (offal)/ sweet meats) are very cheap compared to the main cuts of meat. They can be minced and mixed for those who don't like the taste/texture.
Also Fatty minced beef is much cheaper than lean minced beef (because lean is perceived as more healthy). For example Asda Supermarket frozen lean minced beef £3 for 400gms but the equivalent normal fat content minced beef is only £3 for 600gms !

M

Member496333

Maybe the carnivores on here who always claim it doesn't cost any more to be keto could advise?

I think it probably goes without saying that any whole food diet is probably going to be more expensive than one comprised of dried pasta or canned food. Not many could reasonably dispute that. But I don’t think it needs to be as expensive as some may think. It’s already been mentioned that ground beef and organ meats are fairly cheap. As far as carnivore goes, one thing I’ve noticed is that there is zero waste. Can’t remember the last time I threw anything out. I’d never claim it’s a cheap way to eat, but in that regard at least it can be called efficient.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
where i am that is in turkey even meat stue is expensive for people like her. Chicken is cheaper but for her the most economical sound food she can by is rice,bread,potatoes. They are very cheap and last longer. Chicken is cheap but its a one meal food type,while a bag of rice(2.5 kg) costs around 1 usd and it lasts for 2 weeks or more. Bread is also one meal type of food but its cheap and people can offer buying it everyday. Red meat and fish are expensive and 300gram is per day if she makes a stue.

Hi there, well I do feel sorry for her because it seems there are no alternatives she can make then unless she likes cheese and eggs??. The problem with that is that her health will likely suffer if she sticks to rice, bread and potatoes. Sorry, I can't offer any other solution.

Drfarxan

As several people have said, red meat, or any meat, is not necessary.

Rising food prices affect all people, not only keto eaters

Why keto? Why not just low carb and eat vegetables too? Low carb is less than 130g of carbs a day. Which is better than the 300g a day mentioned by @Drfarxan
Isnt the whole point of lc diet to get us to become keto adapted? According vitra there is more benefit for a full keto diet than just low carb.

M

Member496333

Isnt the whole point of lc diet to get us to become keto adapted? According vitra there is more benefit for a full keto diet than just low carb.

Depends if you are already broken. Granted, most of us here probably are to some extent, but a truly metabolically healthy person should be able to switch between ketosis and glycolysis seamlessly every day. Both are valid metabolic pathways for humans. It’s just that the modern diet is so heavy in glucose that most people are probably eating again long before their body switches to burning fat. I imagine most people are stuck in glucose mode 24/7/365, which is why they experience keto flu when switching over with a change of diet.

Full-time ketosis may be beneficial for many, but for others, low carb will just mean they spend more time in ketosis and less in glycolysis. To be honest though, I think you’d have to go back to preagricultural times to find a population that wasn’t pretty much permanently burning glucose and storing fat.

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'd say no. The point of a low carb diet is different to the point of a keto diet. A low carb diet (under 130 carbs or so) for some is to simply reduce their carbs from what they were eating before in the hope that it will help them manage their diabetes, potentially by rendering them less insulin resistant thus able to process the carbs they do eat more effectively (as one example because we're all different) or like myself, as a type 1 to help me manage my insulin usage better and not overload my body with too many carbs for it to cope with in conjunction with injected insulin. The aim of a keto diet (under 50 carbs but people go into keto at different levels), is to force their body to become fat adapted, ie to use fat for its energy rather than carbs. Many of us are on a low/lower carb diet and have no intention of going keto. You may well be right that a full keto diet suits more than others in comparison to a low carb one but they are two different approaches and do two very different things to a body.

Drfarxan

I'd say no. The point of a low carb diet is different to the point of a keto diet. A low carb diet (under 130 carbs or so) for some is to simply reduce their carbs from what they were eating before in the hope that it will help them manage their diabetes, potentially by rendering them less insulin resistant thus able to process the carbs they do eat more effectively (as one example because we're all different) or like myself, as a type 1 to help me manage my insulin usage better and not overload my body with too many carbs for it to cope with in conjunction with injected insulin. The aim of a keto diet (under 50 carbs but people go into keto at different levels), is to force their body to become fat adapted, ie to use fat for its energy rather than carbs. Many of us are on a low/lower carb diet and have no intention of going keto. You may well be right that a full keto diet suits more than others in comparison to a low carb one but they are two different approaches and do two very different things to a body.
Watch any of dr phinney video about “reversal” of type 2 diabetes. Beta hydroxybutarate/ric acid actually increase insulin sensitivity. So a keto diet does not only lower carbs intake it also helps with the main cause of type 2 diabetes which is insulin resistance.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6389223/

A full keto diet is more effective than just low carbs(i.e below 130g) Dr phinney even says for people with insuline resistance its adviced to go <\=20g per day.Cause people with insuline resistance might not be able to go into Ketosis with 50gms let alone 130gm!!
I would advice anyone with type 2 diabetes to go full keto or carnivore for "real" benefits get the HbA1c below 5.6. I am following alot of keto and carnivore acc on social media and i have seen people on carnivore diet with diabetes for 15 years going back to a HbA1c of 5.2%!!!! carnivore is 0 carbs!!
I would love to read about your threads on how a low carb or a keto diet is helping you. I have a nephew thats type 1 but its heard to convince his parents to go atleast low carb for his benefit. There are researches that showed a KETO DIET not low carb can reverse autoimmune damage for a NEWLY diagnosed type 1 diabetic. And other studies which show a keto diet helped long term type 1 diabetics and LADA diabetics regenerate beta cell
https://www.researchgate.net/public...y_managed_with_the_paleolithic_ketogenic_diet

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Watch any of dr phinney video about “reversal” of type 2 diabetes. Beta hydroxybutarate/ric acid actually increase insulin sensitivity. So a keto diet does not only lower carbs intake it also helps with the main cause of type 2 diabetes which is insulin resistance.

A full keto diet is more effective than just low carbs(i.e below 130g) Dr phinney even says for people with insuline resistance its adviced to go <\=20g per day.Cause people with insuline resistance might not be able to go into Ketosis with 50gms let alone 130gm!!
I would advice anyone with type 2 diabetes to go full keto or carnivore for "real" benefits get the HbA1c below 5.6. I am following alot of keto and carnivore acc on social media and i have seen people on carnivore diet with diabetes for 15 years going back to a HbA1c of 5.2%!!!! carnivore is 0 carbs!!
I would love to read about your threads on how a low carb or a keto diet is helping you. I have a nephew thats type 1 but its heard to convince his parents to go atleast low carb for his benefit. There are researches that showed a KETO DIET not low carb can reverse autoimmune damage for a NEWLY diagnosed type 1 diabetic. And other studies which show a keto diet helped long term type 1 diabetics and LADA diabetics regenerate beta cell
https://www.researchgate.net/public...y_managed_with_the_paleolithic_ketogenic_diet
I don't think that anybody on here is in a position to say whether Keto is better than Low Carb. It depends both on how low you need to go and how much you enjoy eating that way.
Sure I could survive on Keto for a while, but I would probably find it unsustainable for me in the longer term.
I love berries, nut, veg and a little chocolate and a little red wine etc too much to be able to stay on full Keto.
My BG meter , my HbA1C, my weight , my lipid panel and my energy levels all tell me that I'm doing fine on Low Carb - so why try to push things further. meat, eggs, fish, cheese are fine, but I want to enjoy my food so good enough is just right for me!

In any case with me hovering around keto so much (20g to 40 g of carbs per day) I'm probably getting most of the benefits anyway.

Reactions: Drfarxan

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As a type 1, I personally would not go Keto. For me low carb for sure as it makes for less massive swings in the input Insulin thus swings in Glucose especially when training for endurance events it is just easier to manage and teach the body to burn fat. As I know the proteins and fats are working in the background at slower rate of release. I personally find I can manage my MDI Insulin easier on low carb with endurance exercise. I found Keto made management of Insulin a bit too erratic and sensitive.

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Fried cabbage , onions and bacon pieces. A one pan filling meal and definitely not expensive.
Diet Doctor’s Keto Chicken casserole (I tried this for the first time yesterday and it was delicious!)
I understand what your saying about how you can fill up cheaply on bread or rice but you can adapt to filling up on protein or fat.
Onions are quite high in carbs, in spite of the fibre content.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Onions are quite high in carbs, in spite of the fibre content.
Are you sure?
Ordinary British onions are labelled as 4.5 percent, sweet onions as 7 percent - hardly high, and if used finely chopped and barely cooked if at all they are a powerful flavouring.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Drfarxan

I don't think that anybody on here is in a position to say whether Keto is better than Low Carb. It depends both on how low you need to go and how much you enjoy eating that way.
From my results after trying keto(i want to try full carnivore too,soon!!)i believe that a keto diet works better for me and most people than just low carb(as in 100-130g of carbs). I can also say that based research done by people who are looking in to this,thats why i keep mentioning dr phinney/vitra alot. And also from people reporting how keto or carnivore helped them reverse(hb1ac<5.7/39) their type 2 diabetes. Keto does not only replaces our main energy source from carbs that harms us to fats that benefit us BUT SOLVE UNDERLINE CAUSE OF T2D,INSULIN RESISTANCE. Thats the biggest thing for me to try and get the best result even started using metformin to deal with insulin resistance.
This forum can help us with many examples. How many forumers reversed their t2d with just a low carb diet? If just a low carb diet helped people thats great i get the need for diverse foods. I am struggling too and once in a while take in more carbs than i should
Sure I could survive on Keto for a while, but I would probably find it unsustainable for me in the longer term.
I love berries, nut, veg and a little chocolate and a little red wine etc too much to be able to stay on full Keto.
My BG meter , my HbA1C, my weight , my lipid panel and my energy levels all tell me that I'm doing fine on Low Carb - so why try to push things further. meat, eggs, fish, cheese are fine, but I want to enjoy my food so good enough is just right for me!

In any case with me hovering around keto so much (20g to 40 g of carbs per day) I'm probably getting most of the benefits anyway.
My goal is to reach this level lose enough weight and slowly re introduce carbs like around the same 40 to even 60 gms. I am just not that comfortable maybe 5 years later!!!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
While Phinney and Volek always bang on about keto and make it seem much more complicated to reverse T2D than it actually is in practice( Virta has a service to sell after all). Dr David Unwin GP in his practice in Southport (UK) has a 50% remission rate through 'just' Low Carb. But how low to go depends upon individual patients.
My BG meter told me that I had to go almost to the edge of Keto (20gms to 40gms of carbs per day), but many others (in this forum) only need to get to somewhere between 50gms and 100gms per day.

It really annoys me when people make it seem seem harder than it actually is, because that can deter some people from even trying!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While Phinney and Volek always bang on about keto and make it seem much more complicated to reverse T2D than it actually is in practice( Virta has a service to sell after all). Dr David Unwin GP in his practice in Southport (UK) has a 50% remission rate through 'just' Low Carb. But how low to go depends upon individual patients.
My BG meter told me that I had to go almost to the edge of Keto (20gms to 40gms of carbs per day), but many others (in this forum) only need to get to somewhere between 50gms and 100gms per day.

It really annoys me when people make it seem seem harder than it actually is, because that can deter some people from even trying!
Whilst I agree Keto is easier than many make out and not that complicated, it doesn’t always result in reversal/ remission from T2 diabetes, some of us will always struggle with that no matter how little carbs we eat. I think sometimes we set people up with keto is the cure and they expect big results and then can be disheartened and disappointed when it doesn’t happen quite like that