Low carb and Fludrocortisone?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My (other) consultant is thinking about trying Fludrocortisone to control my reflex syncope as there is a risk of fainting and injuring myself if it can't be controlled better - at the moment I don't stand for more than a few minutes and can't bend over for more than a few seconds so there is a huge impact on my life.
But I understand that this drug can interfere with diabetic control.
Is there anyone who is a diet controlled T2 who has experience of taking this drug?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My (other) consultant is thinking about trying Fludrocortisone to control my reflex syncope as there is a risk of fainting and injuring myself if it can't be controlled better - at the moment I don't stand for more than a few minutes and can't bend over for more than a few seconds so there is a huge impact on my life.
But I understand that this drug can interfere with diabetic control.
Is there anyone who is a diet controlled T2 who has experience of taking this drug?

Tricia, unhelpfully, I have zero experience of the medication that might be in play for you, but I really wanted to just say that sometimes we have to compromise.

If your current state is a risk to your safety, as well as your wellbeing, then there could be an argument to say the medication could be worth a trial at least. Whilst you state it can impact your control, it might not, and if it does, if you feel better and safer, then maybe that's a worthwhile compromise.

If you were no longer able to control your T2 with lifestyle only then there is absolutely not shame in accepting a bit of pharmaceutical help for that. Sometime the bigger picture is what's needed.

Good luck, whatever you decide.