1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb and Fludrocortisone?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by TriciaWs, Sep 21, 2021.

1. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

My (other) consultant is thinking about trying Fludrocortisone to control my reflex syncope as there is a risk of fainting and injuring myself if it can't be controlled better - at the moment I don't stand for more than a few minutes and can't bend over for more than a few seconds so there is a huge impact on my life.
    But I understand that this drug can interfere with diabetic control.
    Is there anyone who is a diet controlled T2 who has experience of taking this drug?

2. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Tricia, unhelpfully, I have zero experience of the medication that might be in play for you, but I really wanted to just say that sometimes we have to compromise.

If your current state is a risk to your safety, as well as your wellbeing, then there could be an argument to say the medication could be worth a trial at least. Whilst you state it can impact your control, it might not, and if it does, if you feel better and safer, then maybe that's a worthwhile compromise.

If you were no longer able to control your T2 with lifestyle only then there is absolutely not shame in accepting a bit of pharmaceutical help for that. Sometime the bigger picture is what's needed.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook