So excited I'm definitely getting there!

Iona May

I had my 3 month Diabetes review a couple of weeks ago and my Hba1c is back and its gone from my first test of 74 to 49. I am honestly so happy I actually cried.

It just goes to show that all the hard work with regards to eating low carb, reducing stress and moving more has paid off. I am taking Metformin but only 2 the docs wanted 4 but I am struggling to tolerate them so am feeling better about just taking the 2.

This may sound crazy but I honestly believe that type 2 diabeties may have been a good thing to happen to me. I think that it gave me the kick up the behind I needed to sort my life out. I am 25 lbs down from my heaviest and feeling so much better in myself at one point I thought I might be mentally ill, I felt so out of sorts.

Anyway a big thank you to you all, for all the help and advice I have been given since diagnosis and to anyone struggling commit to it as best you can it really is worth it, keep on going.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, I always say my type 2 diagnosis was the kick up the bum I needed to get my health sorted :)

Reactions: Antje77

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Iona May Congratulations on bringing your HbA1C like that.
Do you have a Blood Glucose meter so that you can test the effect of your meals? If not test before a meal and then 2hrs after first bite. If your BG has risen by more than 2mmol from just before the meal then there were too many carbohydrates in that meal for you (or ones you can't cope with))
If you can reduce your HbA1Clike that with Low Carb, then you probably don't actually need the small extra help that Metformin provides. So since you are still finding Metformin tough to cope with, try cutting it back to 1 a day for a week to see if you can tell any difference.

Iona May

@Iona May Congratulations on bringing your HbA1C like that.
Do you have a Blood Glucose meter so that you can test the effect of your meals? If not test before a meal and then 2hrs after first bite. If your BG has risen by more than 2mmol from just before the meal then there were too many carbohydrates in that meal for you (or ones you can't cope with))
If you can reduce your HbA1Clike that with Low Carb, then you probably don't actually need the small extra help that Metformin provides. So since you are still finding Metformin tough to cope with, try cutting it back to 1 a day for a week to see if you can tell any difference.

Thank you! Yes I have a meter and I can usually stick within 2 given that I've mainly given up all heavily carby food.

I seem to be ok on the 2 but the long term goal is to get rid of the medication all together but one step at a time.