Blood sugar question

Green Eyes

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you about my blood sugar levels. I'm very high in the AM. For the past 3 days very consistent. Between 10.2-10.4.

Yesterday for breakfast I ate some pork loin and a very small apple. 2 hours after that meal and after doing house work I only went down to 9.2.

For my lunch, I had some more pork with 2 tbsp tzatziki, 2 pickles, 2 mini naan and cucumber slices. Two hours later 8.6

Dinner was 1/2 cup brown rice with stir fry.. Two hours later 9.2. I ate a handful of mixed nuts before bed.

Woke up with 10.3 again.

Total carbs 50 for the day.

What changes do I need to focus on to bring my numbers down?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello @Green Eyes welcome
I think you could be underestimating the amount of carbs you are eating.
A quick search on Google. Sharwood's mini naan are 32g of carbs each, so 64g for the 2
A cup of cooked rice is about 50g so your half cup = around 25g of carbs add the Apple and your already over 100g . Some pickles have added sugar and can be quite carby and then there's the nuts, again some nuts have a lot more carbs than others
Have a look at Jo's nutritional thingy it should help https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Reactions: Lainie71

Green Eyes

Hi Catinahat,

Thanks for the reply.

I was going by the bag label on the naan. 5 minis (serving) is 24 grams. And brown rice for 1/2 cup was listed as 24 g. But I'm only following back of package and carb app. Is there a better way to check carb count? I use measuring utensils too.

Reactions: Rach612

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Personally I don't count carbs. I avoid any type of rice like the plaque and just salivate looking a naan bread as that would send my bg through the roof!

Reactions: 1pilgrim

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Basically if it is nice…..it will send your blood sugar throu the roof. No carbs at all is the answer but I find this very hard. Try cauliflower rice; I don’t mind that. Pure cauliflower so won’t affect your bloods. X

Edit for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect your carb counting may be a bit off, but much depends on how sensitive you are to carbs as some folk can tolerate more than others.
Your lunch-time figure of 8.6 would delight me, but your early morning numbers would not, for me at least, be ideal ,and I' like you would want to reduce them. So, I suggest that as a starting experiment you cut the carbs in the evening meal and as SuNunam suggests cut out that rice and see how that works for you.
If you don't find that reducing carbs isn't helping I suggest you have a word with your DSN or GP as it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you need medication or insulin to help you.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Basically if it is nice…..it will send your blood sugar throu the roof. No carbs at all is the answer but I find this very hard. Try cauliflower rice; I don’t mind that. Pure cauliflower so won’t affect your bloods. X

Sorry Sue for the laugh there but the 'if it's nice' did make me giggle xx

Last edited by a moderator:

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Sorry Sue for the laugh there but the 'if it's nice' did make me giggle xx
Haha. They took out my ruddy with a b too. Terrible language for a lady lol. X

1pilgrim

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you about my blood sugar levels. I'm very high in the AM. For the past 3 days very consistent. Between 10.2-10.4.

Yesterday for breakfast I ate some pork loin and a very small apple. 2 hours after that meal and after doing house work I only went down to 9.2.

For my lunch, I had some more pork with 2 tbsp tzatziki, 2 pickles, 2 mini naan and cucumber slices. Two hours later 8.6

Dinner was 1/2 cup brown rice with stir fry.. Two hours later 9.2. I ate a handful of mixed nuts before bed.

Woke up with 10.3 again.

Total carbs 50 for the day.

What changes do I need to focus on to bring my numbers down?

I am in Canada and treatment recommendations here dictate the best time to test is before meals. Not sure what your health service says…

The reason stated officially is that your efforts should concentrate on bringing your pre-meal levels below 7.0. Even non-diabetics post meal bs can go as high as 9-10 shortly after eating.

Spacing meals a little further apart helps accomplish the lower pre meal readings for me. In some cases I just don’t eat until my level is near 7. That sometimes means irregular meal times until a balance is established.

From what I am reading on most threads here a combination of moderate carbs, testing, A1c management, medication and exercise are most of the tools available and of course the will power and sticktoitiveness are a must. The lack of the former 2 are probably responsible for most of my slides.

Full disclosure I have been a diagnosed type 2 for 35 years. I would say I have spent 3/4 of that time under good control (in Canada A1c less than 7). The other quarter of the time is completely my fault due to diabetes fatigue, diet complacency, lack of discipline or simply giving up.

Reactions: MrsA2

TeddyTink61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,this is my first posting so I hope it’s ok.I got my Hb1c down to 41mmols in May but after Christmas it has climbed to 48mmols I know I over endulged big birthday lots of cake ,however it has also caused a rise in my liver function results which says liver inflamed I do have a fatty liver, any suggestions,help.