Diabetic Cures?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to my diabetes doctor, who was involved in research where they halted progression of human new-onset type 1 diabetes, it can be cured if you fix the underlying cause.

I think that's a little overstated, they did not 'halt progression', they found that 12 months after diagnosis some of the group were still producing their own insulin, I think we already know this is common. The participants were using injected insulin too which for 'LADA' patients can also have the effect of preserving beta cells. I read the publication and it involved a very small group of participants (adults), it was halted before the end due to funding, it showed minimal 'success' of the retainment of beta cells in slow adult onset type 1 and it has not been reviewed or commented upon by official sources. Obviously any small experiment is a good thing, it all has to start somewhere but your Diabetes Dr claiming that this particular study is somehow fixing the underlying cause or 'curing' it is pushing it a bit. All of these patients were newly diagnosed and would have been in the honeymoon period, they were all still producing insulin of their own as well.

Last edited:

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Though whilst newly onset Type1 'may' be at some point fixed/halted like this, I'm pretty sure the beta cells in my pancreas have been dead for 40+ years so unless it can bring them back to life as well .......
That's what some scientists suggest;
"Apoptosis has been considered as the main contributor of β-cell dysfunction and decrease in β-cell mass for a long time. However, recent studies suggest that β-cell failure occurs mainly due to increased β-cell dedifferentiation rather than limited β-cell proliferation or increased β-cell death."
A Brief Review of the Mechanisms of β-Cell Dedifferentiation in Type 2 Diabetes

your Diabetes Dr claiming that this particular study is somehow fixing the underlying cause or 'curing' it is pushing it a bit.
He and and 4 of his colleagues actually made that claim back in 2012, based on real life cases, not on this study from 2020.

we already know this is common.
These are the actual results of this study, in one group the fasting c-peptide increased 9% and in the other it fell 38% (despite getting insulin);
upload_2021-10-14_15-25-47.png

At least the Dutch government was so impressed they made this probably the best funded ongoing medical research in the Netherlands.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My mother cured her diabetes. She doesn’t cook meals anymore and just grazes on cheese, nuts, apples and the occasional stick of black licorice. She has a cup of coffee in her hand all day. Doc pulled all her meds, even the statins.

she had a shoe box full of medications, I took her to see another doctor for a medication review, it seems she was on some auto renewal and the medications were overflowing,

A1c and lipids were all normal. Now she’s just on vitamin D.

Im thinking of conducting a black licorice experiment on myself

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you really wish to keep upspeed on current potential cures I find this recent meta analysis a good compendium.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2021.671946/full

Yes they have drugs that can proliferate beta cell regeneration but we're still waiting on human trials.
Prof Taylor himself has admitted this is the potential future cure.

Reactions: ColinTudhope

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you really wish to keep upspeed on current potential cures I find this recent meta analysis a good compendium.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2021.671946/full

Yes they have drugs that can proliferate beta cell regeneration but we're still waiting on human trials.
Prof Taylor himself has admitted this is the potential future cure.

This statement sounds off to me..

"most people with obesity and insulin resistance do not have diabetes,"

I guess they missed out the ... yet..