1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic Cures?

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Enjoyinglife, Aug 29, 2021.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Like Like x 1
  2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think that's a little overstated, they did not 'halt progression', they found that 12 months after diagnosis some of the group were still producing their own insulin, I think we already know this is common. The participants were using injected insulin too which for 'LADA' patients can also have the effect of preserving beta cells. I read the publication and it involved a very small group of participants (adults), it was halted before the end due to funding, it showed minimal 'success' of the retainment of beta cells in slow adult onset type 1 and it has not been reviewed or commented upon by official sources. Obviously any small experiment is a good thing, it all has to start somewhere but your Diabetes Dr claiming that this particular study is somehow fixing the underlying cause or 'curing' it is pushing it a bit. All of these patients were newly diagnosed and would have been in the honeymoon period, they were all still producing insulin of their own as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #22 KK123, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  3. Bubbleblower

Bubbleblower LADA · BANNED

That's what some scientists suggest;
    "Apoptosis has been considered as the main contributor of β-cell dysfunction and decrease in β-cell mass for a long time. However, recent studies suggest that β-cell failure occurs mainly due to increased β-cell dedifferentiation rather than limited β-cell proliferation or increased β-cell death."
    A Brief Review of the Mechanisms of β-Cell Dedifferentiation in Type 2 Diabetes

He and and 4 of his colleagues actually made that claim back in 2012, based on real life cases, not on this study from 2020.

These are the actual results of this study, in one group the fasting c-peptide increased 9% and in the other it fell 38% (despite getting insulin);
    upload_2021-10-14_15-25-47.png
    At least the Dutch government was so impressed they made this probably the best funded ongoing medical research in the Netherlands.

4. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My mother cured her diabetes. She doesn’t cook meals anymore and just grazes on cheese, nuts, apples and the occasional stick of black licorice. She has a cup of coffee in her hand all day. Doc pulled all her meds, even the statins.

she had a shoe box full of medications, I took her to see another doctor for a medication review, it seems she was on some auto renewal and the medications were overflowing,

A1c and lipids were all normal. Now she’s just on vitamin D.

Im thinking of conducting a black licorice experiment on myself

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I regularly use licorice to treat hypos, gets my BG right up...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you really wish to keep upspeed on current potential cures I find this recent meta analysis a good compendium.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fendo.2021.671946/full

Yes they have drugs that can proliferate beta cell regeneration but we're still waiting on human trials.
    Prof Taylor himself has admitted this is the potential future cure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

This statement sounds off to me..

"most people with obesity and insulin resistance do not have diabetes,"

I guess they missed out the ... yet..

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook