Carbohydrate recommendations

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being a diabetic for almost a year now, and also being part of this forum, i have learnt a lot. I also did hundreds of experiments on myself to understand "my own" diabetes and overall physiology of metabolic disorder. I am also doing some welfare work on spreading word out for the less fortunate communities where language and access to such information is a barrier.

So I thought of empowering myself with some recognised certification to start with before going for a higher studies. I have done my Level-2 Health & Nutrition certificate this month, which was pretty interesting. Now I have enrolled myself in a Level-2 certificate in "Care and Management of Diabetes". Well, here is what I have just found and I am just stunned to see that even they have made a case FOR carbohydrates. Does this make sense to anyone?

upload_2021-10-15_21-48-56.png

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yep. I come across this thinking all the time. They just dont get it, or dont update their information based on studies done in the last 5 years.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW I just realise I havent been functioning properly for over 10 years, since I started low carbing. Considering all I have done and achieved over that time, I wonder how much better i could have done with those pesky carbs, which slowed me down and fuzzed my mind for the decade before that??????

(sarcasm)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The one thing most diabetics don't need is a little extra glucose. |The small amounts low carbers consume is more than enough...... in my own experince.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Members like @bulkbiker above would have been dead or in a coma years ago if the carb requirement held true.
The wonderful thing about low carb is that the body has to create it's own glucose through the liver tapping your fat stores.
A biproduct of this is weight loss which further increases insulin sensitivity.
It's a win win win.

There's a major gap in the market for a Weight Watchers/Slimming World startup that does low carb.
Someone remind me to patent that tomorrow.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being a diabetic for almost a year now, and also being part of this forum, i have learnt a lot. I also did hundreds of experiments on myself to understand "my own" diabetes and overall physiology of metabolic disorder. I am also doing some welfare work on spreading word out for the less fortunate communities where language and access to such information is a barrier.

So I thought of empowering myself with some recognised certification to start with before going for a higher studies. I have done my Level-2 Health & Nutrition certificate this month, which was pretty interesting. Now I have enrolled myself in a Level-2 certificate in "Care and Management of Diabetes". Well, here is what I have just found and I am just stunned to see that even they have made a case FOR carbohydrates. Does this make sense to anyone?

View attachment 51599
Firstly good for you for getting a qualification which may give you a broad focus on the topic of nutrtion. Lots of people are very interested in the topic and the fitness market has responded with courses but tends to play it safe by following the party line on high carb/low fat being best for all and 'energy balance' being the way to think about weight loss/gain.
I've got a level 3 Nutrition qualification which I just haven't used! Instead I found Precision Nutation's course to be much more nuanced and up to date on this topic. I've put the link in because they have some useful articles and infographics:
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/...Kf2hoo76qBiy96aOrxboWFWOiTyEp9nhoCgJ8QAvD_BwE

As you will know from this forum and from your own experience ingestion of carbs isn't essential though it is true that the brain needs glucose or ketones to keep running. Given that fact, the body has evolved a way to make the necessary fuel via gluconeogenesis (liver using up stored fat).
If you are discussing the topic of carbohydrates I've found the Visual Guides in Diet Doctor's site or the free resouces available through Public Health Consortium
https://phcuk.org/resources/

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Members like @bulkbiker above would have been dead or in a coma years ago if the carb requirement held true.
The wonderful thing about low carb is that the body has to create it's own glucose through the liver tapping your fat stores.
A biproduct of this is weight loss which further increases insulin sensitivity.
It's a win win win.

There's a major gap in the market for a Weight Watchers/Slimming World startup that does low carb.
Someone remind me to patent that tomorrow.
Virta Health have got there in the US.
There is a disadvantage to the low carb model - you can't sell rubbish processed carbs as part of your business model and you might not get any repeat customers!

Reactions: lucylocket61

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

View attachment 51599

It goes against science, but with (fast) food manufacturers and retailers.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for the course and your certification, and that you feed back your concerns to the course developers.
The first two talk bubbles are fine. It is the third "medical" one which is a load of baloney.

Madisons

Hi, struggling with a A1c of 6.1 that remained unchanged for 6 months since cutting out complex carbs, and limited fruit to 2 pieces a day (2 slices of apple in afternoon, raspberries in evening). Now found out that I also have genetic high cholesteral and fatty liver. Does eating fat cause fatty liver? I have been eating alot of cheese, sardines, salmon, nuts, avocado, and greek yogurt in the past 6 months and now I'm supposed to cut it out of my diet as my GP says??? Why are the doctors all against the high-fat foods, but eat healthy carbs like legumes, sweet potatoes, quinoa...etc....even the dieticians push this mediterraen diet...but what if you can't?

Madisons

Also, want to add that for breakfast, I have porridge made out of fatty flaxseeds, hemp, chia, almond meal, shredded coconut with pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Thought this was good for me....

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Does eating fat cause fatty liver?

Allegedly eating fruit is a main cause of a fatty liver.
Fructose goes straight to the liver and deposits as fat.

As far as I know most fat storage is from carbohydrates but as you have a genetic condition the rules may be different..
Perhaps a thread of your own to ask specific questions?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Also, want to add that for breakfast, I have porridge made out of fatty flaxseeds, hemp, chia, almond meal, shredded coconut with pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Thought this was good for me....
It is!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
same for me, but i also shred 1/4 of an apple in it and some double cream

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly good for you for getting a qualification which may give you a broad focus on the topic of nutrtion. Lots of people are very interested in the topic and the fitness market has responded with courses but tends to play it safe by following the party line on high carb/low fat being best for all and 'energy balance' being the way to think about weight loss/gain.
I've got a level 3 Nutrition qualification which I just haven't used! Instead I found Precision Nutation's course to be much more nuanced and up to date on this topic. I've put the link in because they have some useful articles and infographics:
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/...Kf2hoo76qBiy96aOrxboWFWOiTyEp9nhoCgJ8QAvD_BwE

As you will know from this forum and from your own experience ingestion of carbs isn't essential though it is true that the brain needs glucose or ketones to keep running. Given that fact, the body has evolved a way to make the necessary fuel via gluconeogenesis (liver using up stored fat).
If you are discussing the topic of carbohydrates I've found the Visual Guides in Diet Doctor's site or the free resouces available through Public Health Consortium
https://phcuk.org/resources/
Thank you so much @NicoleC1971 and please suggest some more certification that i could take on. My aim is to be able to guide diabetics with some level of certification that would allow me to tap into this sector. I am a digital marketing professional and definitely i am not doing these certification to change my career or anything, its just that some people won't listen to you unless you have some sort of recognised certification. I personally don't eat lots of carbs and I have seen things improving in the last year or so, so i totally agree that we don't need carbs to survive. The bare minimum requirement of about 150-200 gm of carb requirement for brain, kidney and RBC can be met efficiently by body itself.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much @NicoleC1971 and please suggest some more certification that i could take on. My aim is to be able to guide diabetics with some level of certification that would allow me to tap into this sector. I am a digital marketing professional and definitely i am not doing these certification to change my career or anything, its just that some people won't listen to you unless you have some sort of recognised certification. I personally don't eat lots of carbs and I have seen things improving in the last year or so, so i totally agree that we don't need carbs to survive. The bare minimum requirement of about 150-200 gm of carb requirement for brain, kidney and RBC can be met efficiently by body itself.
I did my Precision Nutrition certificate online and the value to me wasn't in getting a certificate. I find that if you have confidence and your own story to tell, you can help people as long as you frame your advice as not coming from a dietician and recognise when you are out of your depth. The certification is also very much about being a good coach rather than knowing everything as it is obvious that nutrition 'science' changes.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading the bubbles again, the third one fails because of the inclusion of "without".... one thing diabetics are not without are carbohydrates, or the ability to handle them "normally",
so...... no need for more.