Smoking !

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up a 40 a day habit after my second stroke. Not a single puff since then.

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gooner.
Yep, I still smoke (roll ups, approx 8oz baccy a day).
I have reduced my smoking since my diagnosis 10 weeks ago, and am well aware that I need to try and quit, but made a conscious decision to concentrate on the diabetes first - diet / blood glucose control / weight loss.
If I tried to change everything at once, I would be more likely to fail at ALL of it! And I need to make sure that what I'm doing I can stick to for good.
Slowly, slowly and one issue at a time for me.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Nope give up the old “ cancer sticks” , It was a case of give up or risk another heart attack and maybe another amputation , I ain’t got many vices left now and to be honest I do miss the odd fag but sometimes common sense must prevail

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those trying to give up might want to heed my daughter's experience. She started smoking at university. Later when trying to quit she started vaping mixtures containing nicotine. Without the actual cigarettes she could smoke indoors and didn't notice that she was smoking almost continuously. Eventually she was tempted back onto real cigarettes but by this time she had a bigger need for nicotine and smoked much more.
She has tried patches, hypnotherapy etc without success. She is now pregnant and may at last have the incentive to give up, I certainly hope so.

Tannith

BANNED
Those trying to give up might want to heed my daughter's experience. She started smoking at university. Later when trying to quit she started vaping mixtures containing nicotine. Without the actual cigarettes she could smoke indoors and didn't notice that she was smoking almost continuously. Eventually she was tempted back onto real cigarettes but by this time she had a bigger need for nicotine and smoked much more.
She has tried patches, hypnotherapy etc without success. She is now pregnant and may at last have the incentive to give up, I certainly hope so.
I tried numerous times (including using patches and other NRTs) and eventually succeeded using buproprion. (prescription). I think there is now a better medicine called Champix you can take that improves your chances of success.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried numerous times (including using patches and other NRTs) and eventually succeeded using buproprion. (prescription). I think there is now a better medicine called Champix you can take that improves your chances of success.
As my daughter is in the very early stages of pregnancy she probably won't want to take any sort of medicine. So far she is doing ok with just willpower due to the incentive she didn't have before. Your advice might help others though.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I had my very last cigarette in April, I smoked 20-30 cigarettes a day. Sometimes more if I had a drink. I do vape,( not the big excessive vape machines) you can buy now, just the stick ones, it is low nicotine, I found stopping the Nicorette lozenges harder to give up than the fags I don’t want to vape forever but if I have too to stop me spending £10 a day on fags then I will. Love having money in my bank and actually being able to smell my washing powder instead of stale fag smoke

Reactions: bkr and gooner10

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up smoking about twenty five years ago, I was smoking a couple of packets a day.

I had my mind set on stopping the nicotine habit, so decided to finish the packet and stop completely. I did not use nicotine patches or gum. Those vape thingies were not around those days, but I do not think I would have used one if they were.

It's great not to smell like a ashtray, whether that's my breath or my clothes. Even the house smells fresh after a while of non smoking in it.

Reactions: bkr and gooner10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those wishing to stop, heed my experience. I used the nicotine patches, and I took them off at night after heeding warnings about nightmares. I ended up in hospital for 4 nights. They raised my heart beat and caused arrhythmia. The raised heart beats are common side effects.

Reactions: lovinglife

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I stopped 32 years ago at age 46 when I landed in the intensive care unit of a local hospital. Heart attack was the reason.So in reality, smoking stopped me and not the other way around. I was a very heavy smoker.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Used to smoke nearly 60 a day :nailbiting: being an asthmatic and a smoker was not a good idea. Gave up 15 years ago but sometimes dream of fags - wierd eh?

Reactions: EllieM and gooner10

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Used to smoke nearly 60 a day :nailbiting: being an asthmatic and a smoker was not a good idea. Gave up 15 years ago but sometimes dream of fags - wierd eh?
Sometimes I dream of lighting up! I thought I was the only one?
12 years ago I gave up after smoking for 20ish years when our daughter was born, I then used lozenges, but got hooked on them! I am now totally nicotine free.
I have only had moments of weakness in my dreams! Having said that I do get cravings very occasionally but it passes quickly.