1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Smoking !

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by gooner10, Oct 18, 2021.

1. gooner10

gooner10 · Well-Known Member

Smoking. Just wondered do any of you continue to smoke ? ( Be honest )

2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I gave up a 40 a day habit after my second stroke. Not a single puff since then.

• Winner Winner x 5
  3. KateS14

KateS14 Type 2 · Member

Hi Gooner.
    Yep, I still smoke (roll ups, approx 8oz baccy a day).
    I have reduced my smoking since my diagnosis 10 weeks ago, and am well aware that I need to try and quit, but made a conscious decision to concentrate on the diabetes first - diet / blood glucose control / weight loss.
    If I tried to change everything at once, I would be more likely to fail at ALL of it! And I need to make sure that what I'm doing I can stick to for good.
    Slowly, slowly and one issue at a time for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. Wish I didn't though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Really? Half an ounce of tobacco is equivalent to 20 cigarettes so that would be 320 cigarettes a day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nope give up the old “ cancer sticks” , It was a case of give up or risk another heart attack and maybe another amputation , I ain’t got many vices left now and to be honest I do miss the odd fag but sometimes common sense must prevail

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Me too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me three - most addictive substance on the planet, I’ve tried numerous times and failed

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. KateS14

KateS14 Type 2 · Member

Oh, major typo there! Meant 8g, not oz!! :happy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Mr_Pot

Those trying to give up might want to heed my daughter's experience. She started smoking at university. Later when trying to quit she started vaping mixtures containing nicotine. Without the actual cigarettes she could smoke indoors and didn't notice that she was smoking almost continuously. Eventually she was tempted back onto real cigarettes but by this time she had a bigger need for nicotine and smoked much more.
    She has tried patches, hypnotherapy etc without success. She is now pregnant and may at last have the incentive to give up, I certainly hope so.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  11. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

I tried numerous times (including using patches and other NRTs) and eventually succeeded using buproprion. (prescription). I think there is now a better medicine called Champix you can take that improves your chances of success.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mr_Pot

As my daughter is in the very early stages of pregnancy she probably won't want to take any sort of medicine. So far she is doing ok with just willpower due to the incentive she didn't have before. Your advice might help others though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Dudette1

Dudette1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had my very last cigarette in April, I smoked 20-30 cigarettes a day. Sometimes more if I had a drink. I do vape,( not the big excessive vape machines) you can buy now, just the stick ones, it is low nicotine, I found stopping the Nicorette lozenges harder to give up than the fags I don’t want to vape forever but if I have too to stop me spending £10 a day on fags then I will. Love having money in my bank and actually being able to smell my washing powder instead of stale fag smoke

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I gave up smoking about twenty five years ago, I was smoking a couple of packets a day.

I had my mind set on stopping the nicotine habit, so decided to finish the packet and stop completely. I did not use nicotine patches or gum. Those vape thingies were not around those days, but I do not think I would have used one if they were.

It's great not to smell like a ashtray, whether that's my breath or my clothes. Even the house smells fresh after a while of non smoking in it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Those wishing to stop, heed my experience. I used the nicotine patches, and I took them off at night after heeding warnings about nightmares. I ended up in hospital for 4 nights. They raised my heart beat and caused arrhythmia. The raised heart beats are common side effects.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Zeddedhed

Zeddedhed · Active Member

Yes. 20 a day, and in the spirit of being honest, I enjoy it too much to stop right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. Bubbleblower

Bubbleblower LADA · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 4
  18. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

I stopped 32 years ago at age 46 when I landed in the intensive care unit of a local hospital. Heart attack was the reason.So in reality, smoking stopped me and not the other way around. I was a very heavy smoker.

• Hug Hug x 2
  19. Lainie71

Lainie71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Used to smoke nearly 60 a day :nailbiting: being an asthmatic and a smoker was not a good idea. Gave up 15 years ago but sometimes dream of fags - wierd eh?

• Like Like x 2
  20. chrisbug

chrisbug Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes I dream of lighting up! I thought I was the only one?
    12 years ago I gave up after smoking for 20ish years when our daughter was born, I then used lozenges, but got hooked on them! I am now totally nicotine free.
    I have only had moments of weakness in my dreams! Having said that I do get cravings very occasionally but it passes quickly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook