C-Peptide result meaning

Damodamo

I was diagnosed with LADA (late onset Type 1) in March but am not yet taking insulin.

I've just had a C-Peptide test (taken 2 hours after a meal) and the result was 2.4 ng/ml.

I have no appointment with the clinic until January and I have no idea what this number means relatively speaking. Could someone give me their non-professional opinion?

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I was diagnosed with LADA (late onset Type 1) in March but am not yet taking insulin.

I've just had a C-Peptide test (taken 2 hours after a meal) and the result was 2.4.

I have no appointment with the clinic until January and I have no idea what this number means relatively speaking. Could someone give me their non-professional opinion?
You will have to give some units. For example ng/ml? Did you have a positive antibody test which you were diagnosed by? How long has it been since your diagnosis?

Damodamo

You will have to give some units. For example ng/ml? Did you have a positive antibody test which you were diagnosed by? How long has it been since your diagnosis?

The units are ng/ml I think. I was diagnosed Type 2 in Oct 2020 and Type 1.5 in March 2021.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The units are ng/ml I think. I was diagnosed Type 2 in Oct 2020 and Type 1.5 in March 2021.
I've converted the units from ng/ml to pmol/L so you can follow the University of Exeter explanation on the link below.

Your stimulated c-peptide is 794.6257 in pmol/L. >600 pmol/L means you are producing a substantial amount of insulin. Usually conforms type 2 but it can be type 1 in honeymoon (if you're antibody positive) particularly if you're obese if still within 3 to 5 years from diagnosis.

https://www.exeterlaboratory.com/test/c-peptide-plasma/
Here is the c-peptide calculator to change between ng/ml and pmol/L: https://unitslab.com/node/111

Damodamo

Thank you so so much.

I have GAD and Znt Antibodies so definitely Type 1 (LADA) but very low BMI since going low carb.

Damian

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Your insulin production is OK after food.... at the moment... however I know for fact that there were times when my pancreas pumped out normally.. then it would slow down again.. and eventually in a 12 month period my cpep went from 660 to 60

Do you have medication yet?

Have you been offered insulin yet......

Damodamo

Thank you for your reply.

I am a year into diagnosis. Type 2 - October 2020, Type 1 - March 2021.

I am just on metformin at the moment. No insulin.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thank you for your reply.

I am a year into diagnosis. Type 2 - October 2020, Type 1 - March 2021.

I am just on metformin at the moment. No insulin.

That will almost certainly change at some point if the lada diagnosis is correct.. when offered it take it..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I will. Thank you. Is there a reliable way to track progression?

Not a LADA, just a long term T1, so talking off the top of my head, but I would have thought that it would be obvious when your blood sugar levels start to go up. Have your clinic given you a ketone testing meter so that you can check for ketones if your bg levels go high?

(Prepares to be corrected by the more knowledgeable :)).

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will. Thank you. Is there a reliable way to track progression?

You just need to keep checking your BG levels really. If you can keep them within normal range then that's great, but its the overnight and morning ones my consultant was watching out for with me - although they put me straight on insulin. Having a run of high BG levels is time to get back in touch with your diabetic team. I rarely measure my ketones unless I'm struggling to bring my BG down.

My pancreas would pump out insulin at times during my honeymoon period. I had a few weeks where I had to knock right back on the insulin because of hypos but then my BG levels shot up again. I think I was resigned to insulin early on but my mother kept reading articles and telling me she was sure it was all a mistake. Sadly not!