Instant Mash

gooner10

Never tried that and like most on here I cannot tolerate potato sadly. BUT! I have discovered something even tastier!!! If you have a blender then try well cooked cauliflower florets (minus most of the stalk bits) with a tablesp of both butter and cream cheese, plus a touch of garlic. Blend for couple of mins and I tell you it is amazing! Just like eating cheesy mash
Wow sounds Delish. Must give it a go ;)

Reactions: coby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Swede - boil, mash, then add an egg and veges or just the egg, heat in a frying pan, then, if plain add grated cheese and put under the grill to brown the top.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Swede - boil, mash, then add an egg and veges or just the egg, heat in a frying pan, then, if plain add grated cheese and put under the grill to brown the top.
mashed swede with lots of butter & pepper mmmmm. or recently discovered big slices with a little olive oil and roasted

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is not a perfect substitute, but I use daikon as a substitute for potatoes in stews and soups.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess what they had none !! Is it seasonal ?
Celeriac is available all year round but is at its best from September to April, most supermarkets sell it.
( My local co-op had no fresh food at all on Monday - HGV drivers?).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about Celeriac, anyone tried it? I love it but not sure if it fits my Low Carb Diet?
Celeriac with lashings of butter and cream is a good winter comforter.
So much nicer than SMASH although that's good if you are lacking teeth I suppose..

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Vegetables are hit and miss at the moment.
Went to two branches of Lidl because the first didn't have any butternut squash.

Waitrose usually has celeriac.
If you get fed up with all the peeling and chopping you can also buy it pre-prepared and frozen in the Waitrose freezer section (if they have any in).
A very rough calculation suggests that by the time you have chopped all the rind and Triffid bits off fresh celeriac the end cost is very similar to frozen.

I boil it then use a stick blender to mash it up.
Bit of olive oil, lot of salted butter.
It freezes well.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can it be cut into chips and frozen ?

I found that there was too much water in celeriac to make decent chips.
One reason that they are low carbohydrate seems to be that they are mainly water.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that there was too much water in celeriac to make decent chips.
One reason that they are low carbohydrate seems to be that they are mainly water.
I microwave celeriac chips for a couple of minutes before I cook them to drive off some of the water, which seems to help. They are not bad but rubbish compared with the potato wedges my wife makes for herself.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have used celeriac and swede cut into chips or cubes and cooked in an air fryer but neither as mash I usually use cauliflower for mash flavoured with various spices and herbs with butter and cheese added.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can it be cut into chips and frozen ?
Yes, but not quite in the same ball park as potato ones. Still an acceptable substitute though. Try playing around with spices and fats cooked in. I also freeze them ready cut... it takes quite a time to peel and cut a whole celeriac, so freezing in individual portions works for me

D

Deleted member 543160

What about Celeriac, anyone tried it? I love it but not sure if it fits my Low Carb Diet?
Yes celeriac is fine and is very low carb. :hungry:

I mainly used celeriac to make chips when i first started low carbing, but haven't done this for a while due to problem with my hands. and I look now for stuff that's easier to prepare. Something I found that pleased me no end is Wiatrose's frozen diced celeriac - very handy for making little single portions.