COVID taste disturbance and type 2

Adg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am desperate for help, my wife is T2DM and post COVID by 8 months and her taste is so disturbed that we can not stay within a diabetic diet, has anyone any experience of this and what they were able to eat, or how they managed the situation, thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am desperate for help, my wife is T2DM and post COVID by 8 months and her taste is so disturbed that we can not stay within a diabetic diet, has anyone any experience of this and what they were able to eat, or how they managed the situation, thank you
Can you tell us some more about the things your wife can and can't eat at the moment?
What sort of things does she like? What kind of diet did she follow before covid?

And would she like to join the forum herself?

Adg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell us some more about the things your wife can and can't eat at the moment?
What sort of things does she like? What kind of diet did she follow before covid?

And would she like to join the forum herself?
Hi Antje77, well no she will not join the forum as she is still adjusting to T2DM,
Pre COVID she worked hard at adjusting to low carb so we did fruit free smoothies for breakfast, egg, tuna salad for lunch and meat and green veg for dinner,
Now food can taste of cardboard, recently she asked me why I poured parma violets over the dinner, she can no longer eat chicken, has gone off tuna, food needs to be moist like curry or cream sauce
I just don’t know what flavour to aim for and she can no longer identify what she could be in the mood for.
This is primarily a COVID issue and hoped others had found a way through it

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, that's informative.
As I don't have the experience of covid myself I don't have any advice for you. You might want to ask your question and the information on what foods she can and can't eat at the moment in this thread too: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...take-a-while-to-recover-from-covid-19.177287/
While the thread is pretty quiet at the moment, it's still being watched by most people who have posted on it, so you'll reach many low carbing T2's there who might miss your new thread.

Wish the both of you all the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I went through this too. When I had Covid in March 2020 I couldn't eat protein at all, it made me feel sick. I was very hungry and ate mostly carbs just to get through it. After recovery I still found protein difficult and could only manage a small amount. Now 18 months on I am back to a low carb diet, but it took alot of patience adding a little more protein each week/month.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Antje77, well no she will not join the forum as she is still adjusting to T2DM,
Pre COVID she worked hard at adjusting to low carb so we did fruit free smoothies for breakfast, egg, tuna salad for lunch and meat and green veg for dinner,
Now food can taste of cardboard, recently she asked me why I poured parma violets over the dinner, she can no longer eat chicken, has gone off tuna, food needs to be moist like curry or cream sauce
I just don’t know what flavour to aim for and she can no longer identify what she could be in the mood for.
Can she cope with olive oil or butter to help with the moistening of her food?

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that the really nasty cough I had early 2020 was Covid. I have used a lot more turmeric and a couple of aromatic curry powders since then, I notice.
I do tend to use herbs and spices, so it might be worth seeing if anything along those lines works.
I did find that Metformin changed my perception of flavours and I still do not drink ordinary tea after over 4 years, so the possibly Covid experience was just a second hit - but I got the true aroma of coffee the other day, after so long without it it was quite a shock, and it gives me hope that it will resolve itself in time.