Type 1 Do you have a disability? (Work)

Talo

Hi all, I will be relocating to the US soon so I'm applying for jobs. Almost all of them ask if you have a disability when applying and diabetes is listed as one. You don't have to specify which one. The options to reply are YES/NO/I don't wish to answer.

I am selecting do not wish to answer (which of course means you have one! :facepalm:).

What do you guys do? Any thoughts? I know they can't discriminate for it but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Unless they can't access that information.

loiphamp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I put no because no one knows you had diabetes just your doctor and type 2 is not disability

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi all, I will be relocating to the US soon so I'm applying for jobs. Almost all of them ask if you have a disability when applying and diabetes is listed as one. You don't have to specify which one. The options to reply are YES/NO/I don't wish to answer.

I am selecting do not wish to answer (which of course means you have one! :facepalm:).

What do you guys do? Any thoughts? I know they can't discriminate for it but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Unless they can't access that information.

I'll say this just ONCE. LIST IT !!! Lying is not a good start

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Talo I’d definitely declare it. Best to be open - firstly so that your employers have the full picture should you need adjustments for your diabetes and also as Mike says, honesty is the best policy.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I would put Yes so that your new employer will be aware from the outset.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As a T1, you are best off having your workplace know about it, just because of hypos if nothing else.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely list it. The US is one of the most litigious countries in the world. You will also need to list it for your employer covered medical insurance.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Definitely list it. The US is one of the most litigious countries in the world. You will also need to list it for your employer covered medical insurance.

Good point. T1 diabetes is incredibly expensive without medical insurance (and sometimes even with). If you live close to the Canadian or Mexican borders it can be economical to cross over to get your meds. You can be talking $1000 a month to get your medication.

If you're covered by a partner's insurance then it's fine, but be aware that US T1s regularly die because they can't afford their insulin.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good point. T1 diabetes is incredibly expensive without medical insurance (and sometimes even with). If you live close to the Canadian or Mexican borders it can be economical to cross over to get your meds. You can be talking $1000 a month to get your medication.

If you're covered by a partner's insurance then it's fine, but be aware that US T1s regularly die because they can't afford their insulin.

Also consider that insurance coverage can change suddenly, companies can take on new policies each year and that can mean coverage costs change and the prices you pay for medications can go up or down dramatically. Which can be a nightmare.

Talo

Thanks for your replies! I'm not talking about lying of course. Choosing "I do not wish to answer" is not saying you don't have a disability. But I guess its better to just put yes and be open.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
In this country I’d put no to any application forms, although they say you can discriminate I’m sure people do. If I’m have have anything done tattoos, massages etc I’ll put no I’m not having other people tell me what I can or cannot have! Other countries I have no idea about.

Reactions: KidDougi

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the UK, I go with, I don't consider myself disabled, but I am covered by the disability discrimination act

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks for your replies! I'm not talking about lying of course. Choosing "I do not wish to answer" is not saying you don't have a disability. But I guess its better to just put yes and be open.

Have you had a local medical for your US interview or do you have a visa already?

KidDougi

I know very little about US employment law/practices, but my feeling would be to not answer, get through the interviews, then once they offer you the role , you declare it.
If they suddenly withdraw the offer then you know they are discriminating !!!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
So the solution is to lie? God help me ....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
when given the option "rather not say" then to take that option is not being decietval in any way if the question was do you have a disability yes or no with no other option then to say no when you do would be a lie.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personaly would answer yes as I would prefer to be upfront about it.

According to the ADA

Is Diabetes a Disability?
The short answer is "Yes."

"Under most laws, diabetes is a protected as a disability.
Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are protected as disabilities.
People with diabetes can do any type of job, sport or life goal
People with diabetes of all types are protected as people with qualifying disabilities. But being protected from discrimination does not mean that diabetes has to put the brakes on life! People with diabetes are able to drive race cars, fight fires, play contact sports and generally do whatever they need to follow their dreams."

https://www.diabetes.org/resources/know-your-rights/discrimination/is-diabetes-a-disability#:~:text=The short answer is "Yes,diabetes%20are%20protected%20as%20disabilities.

Reactions: inked62

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Diabetes a Disability?
The short answer is "Yes."

In the UK though type 2 does not automatically come under the Disability Act in the way that type 1 does. I think they view it on a case to case basis if the issue arises.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Please read the opening post the OP will be relocting to the USA and their post related to that eventuallity.:)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I put no because no one knows you had diabetes just your doctor and type 2 is not disability

I say yes.... because by doing so I have rights... by not doing so I don't..

However this may not be so important for a t2 that is well controlled as for them life in general maybe pretty normal

But certainly for someone insulin controlled where there is possibility of issues or illness. Plus if they know and then you have a hypo at work they may understand

And whilst they can't discriminate they can sack you for not declaring an issue that may affect you ability to work or attend work...

I sacked someone that was constantly off work with headaches.. upon questioning he had them for several years but failed to advise us... had he told us we couldn't have sacked him.

I now drive HGV carrying dangerous goods so there are big risks for me... so my employer was told during interview stage.. because they may have to make allowances for me to remain safe

On my application form there was a box that asked about disabilities and I responded 'I do not consider myself disabled but have an illness which is covered by the equality act'