Blood Glucose 4-5 hours postprandial

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is lot of discussion over the internet and in this forum about fasting blood glucose levels and 2 hours postprandial. Now as i have seen in my case and some other members here too that our BG doesn't rise at 1 hour after food, rather it rises at 2 hours. Regardless, at hours 4 and 5 it should go back somehow. My questions to all D2s is what are your blood glucose reading at 4 or 5 hours after food. I am doing a diabetic course and they say that if your BG is between 6.1-6.9 3 hours after food then you have impaired glucose regulation.

My personal experience (im a low-carb diet <50gm/day), my BG doesn't move at 1 hr. it will peak at 3 hrs (in late 6s) and may stay in mid to low 6 for couple of hours and then in 5s after 5 hours.

What is your experience? Thanks.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is lot of discussion over the internet and in this forum about fasting blood glucose levels and 2 hours postprandial. Now as i have seen in my case and some other members here too that our BG doesn't rise at 1 hour after food, rather it rises at 2 hours. Regardless, at hours 4 and 5 it should go back somehow. My questions to all D2s is what are your blood glucose reading at 4 or 5 hours after food. I am doing a diabetic course and they say that if your BG is between 6.1-6.9 3 hours after food then you have impaired glucose regulation.

My personal experience (im a low-carb diet <50gm/day), my BG doesn't move at 1 hr. it will peak at 3 hrs (in late 6s) and may stay in mid to low 6 for couple of hours and then in 5s after 5 hours.

The peak and the return to normal will all depend on what you have eaten. Refined carbs might peak after 30 mins, something with a lot of fat combined might peak after 3 hours. I am on a moderately low carb diet. I recently had a free trial of a Librè and for most meals my peak was after 1 hour and I was back to normal after 2 hours as is generally accepted as the normal response.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The peak and the return to normal will all depend on what you have eaten. Refined carbs might peak after 30 mins, something with a lot of fat combined might peak after 3 hours. I am on a moderately low carb diet. I recently had a free trial of a Librè and for most meals my peak was after 1 hour and I was back to normal after 2 hours as is generally accepted as the normal response.
Thanks. Interesting. So what is your normal at the start and 2 hours ? Are you willing to share your libre findings if you have a diary? Also how can i avail such a free trial?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only test my bgl two hours after a meal.

I have been doing the test before a meal, and the two hours after ever since I was told I was a T2 diabetic.

Although I have a unlimited supply of subsidised test strips I cannot see the point in wasting them on experiments.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been doing the test before a meal, and the two hours after ever since I was told I was a T2 diabetic.

Although I have a unlimited supply of subsidised test strips I cannot see the point in wasting them on experiments.
Thanks, yes if you see your target BG achieved at 2 hours, definitely you won't check any further. I do check as my peak is not at 1 hour or sometimes 2 hours. Probably i need a CGM for few days to understand my peaks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I quite often test at 1 hour and then 2 some times at 3 hours as I like to know what my peak reading was as I do not accept the premis that a high peak if short lived does no damage.

Also a HbA1c test gives the average over aproximately 3 months it does not ignore those transitory peaks they form part of the 3 monthly average.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Interesting. So what is your normal at the start and 2 hours ? Are you willing to share your libre findings if you have a diary? Also how can i avail such a free trial?
If you visit Abbott’s Freestyle Libre website, I believe information about the Free Trial is on the front page.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

How do you know what rise you have had if you don't know your pre-meal reading?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Assuming you're eating a simple single course meal eaten over a short period them a non-diabetic would be back to fasting level at the 3 hour mark.
The 2 hour dogma comes from the 2 hour 75g OGTT, nothing else.

If we grazed for hours over an evening meal like a Mediterranean the 2 hour test is a nonsense.
When you get brave with your T2 you bring out the 1 hour test, you chase the bad news, you chase the spike.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is why i am not worrying 2 hours reading here. I need to know what reading people see on this forum normally at 4 hours or 5 hours testing (if you do so). Whether peak is in one hour eating simple carbs or 2 hours with a heavy fat/protein meal, 4-5 hour mark seems sensible to understand how your hormones are performing. Because, i am trying to reduce finger pricking, i am just trying to see what my BGs are at 4 hours now. If it is in 5s at 4 hours or even at early 6s then i will feel okay. What's your experience? Can anyone share their CGM readings with the food diary please (T2s).

Also when you say "fasting level", does it mean 4.6 mmol or 85 mg/dl by Dr. Bernstein strict standards, or its anything below 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol)?

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ronancastled @LaoDan there was a thread a while ago where people posted their Libré charts. I think one of you may have started it or if you can just remember what it was called, it sounds like that is what @finsit needs.

Reactions: LaoDan

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: finsit

Tannith

BANNED
Reactions: finsit

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yeah getting a libre can really help sort things out with regards to meal and exercise and timing. Here’s my typical day, I rise in the morning and burn it off at the gym ( note the peak). This is a few months ago, when I was still snacking on cheese, peanut butter and avocado smoothies and not trying to lose weight. I’m running lower now that I’m dieting. Most of my randoms are 3-4.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting a libre or two
16589BBE-A103-4753-8B5A-6A7E41F119FC.jpeg

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah getting a libre can really help sort things out with regards to meal and exercise and timing. Here’s my typical day, I rise in the morning and burn it off at the gym ( note the peak). This is a few months ago, when I was still snacking on cheese, peanut butter and avocado smoothies and not trying to lose weight. I’m running lower now that I’m dieting. Most of my randoms are 3-4.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting a libre or two
View attachment 51774
These are insane readings, probably not even non-diabetics will have these. Great stuff. Did you catch diabetes earlier and still producing good amount of insulin or its the diet? I was looking at your instagram and i see you still eat rice and carbs off and on. Amazing readings.

Dandelade

Hi @finsit, when I first started it look longer than 2 hours for blood sugar to come down. I was in the 6/7s before food and it’d be 8/9 for a few hours before returning to the 6s. I was still lowering carbs at about 60g a day at that point.

Then as I got used to what I needed to do and came to terms with, I decreased carbs more and more. The weight loss continued. A few months later I’m in the 5s before food, my insulin resistance must have improved and combined with only consuming carbs in above ground veg, means it barely blips an increase anymore.

Thought it might be helpful to hear from someone not that far into the journey and that if your body reacts the same as mine and keep it up, the bloods will eventually follow! I now only appear insulin resistant in the mornings after dawn phenomenon and hoping with more weight loss to reduce this too. (Disclaimer- not everybody reacts in the same way, it depends on the original cause of insulin resistance I think).

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Typically, 1-2 hrs. post-prandial, my number is 9-11, sometimes higher depending on what I eat and what I have eaten some hours before., but decreasing with time. I try to eat by the meter.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
These are insane readings, probably not even non-diabetics will have these. Great stuff. Did you catch diabetes earlier and still producing good amount of insulin or its the diet? I was looking at your instagram and i see you still eat rice and carbs off and on. Amazing readings.
I think it’s the combination of getting caught early , diet, exercise and being 40kg lighter. I still have work to do, drop 10kg more and rebuild the muscle I lost when dieting.