What am I doing wrong

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try carbzone wraps instead, you can get them online or from ocado. Only 4g a wrap for the smaller ones and I think they are really good. Doesn't make me miss normal ones at all. Then the fillings you can add are endless! Plus use them for enchiladas, fajitas etc.

Totally agree about Carbzone wraps. Tuna melt is my favourite just now or pizza base for fakeaway time. Their Granola is good too.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar after dinner was 11.5 …this was my menu today.

One slice sourdough toast with butter, small!
100 greek plain yoghurt
1 crackerbread with cottage cheese.
6 almonds
Two small greek chicken wraps, wholemeal tortilla with tomato and cucumber.

Is it too much carb still? Or not enough food overall? 960 calories.

Although there are some carb rich food, it is not really a lot of carbs. What was your BG reading in the morning before you started to eat anything. That may explain a lot.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Remission is see!!! Well done you! Thats the goal……
Thanks, but it really was not difficult for me. Experiences of course will vary and please don't judge yourself against others - every human system responds to stimuli differently, and may well react differently at different times. Find your own path and stick to it.

JayBee28

Hi, I’m 6 weeks in to my journey. I’m not taking medication trying to do it by diet. I’ve stopped eating carbs full stop, sweets, biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc etc. I’m not counting calories I’ve really upped my protein Eggs, fish, home cooked chicken and occasional really nice steak or lamb. I’ve had full fat yoghurt, cheese (I still have skimmed milk but only in three cups of tea a day, full fat has less carbs). I’ve lost 14 pounds so far. I do a 30 minute walk at least 4 or 5 times a week. My levels have gone down from 11+ to in the 5 and sixes, rising to 7 something after dinner. It’s good to test before and two hours after a meal to see how well you have tolerated the meal. I tried porridge which was a disaster, up to 13. However, lentils are great for me. I use olive oil for cooking and dressings and have added almonds, pecan and walnuts to my diet. Surprisingly, i have stooped snacking as no longer feel hungry between meals. Most weekends, I have a late breakfast then not eat then until dinner. I’m absolutely amazed how much better I feel, I have so much more energy.

Good luck with your journey.

Finncity

Hi, I’m 6 weeks in to my journey. I’m not taking medication trying to do it by diet. I’ve stopped eating carbs full stop, sweets, biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc etc. I’m not counting calories I’ve really upped my protein Eggs, fish, home cooked chicken and occasional really nice steak or lamb. I’ve had full fat yoghurt, cheese (I still have skimmed milk but only in three cups of tea a day, full fat has less carbs). I’ve lost 14 pounds so far. I do a 30 minute walk at least 4 or 5 times a week. My levels have gone down from 11+ to in the 5 and sixes, rising to 7 something after dinner. It’s good to test before and two hours after a meal to see how well you have tolerated the meal. I tried porridge which was a disaster, up to 13. However, lentils are great for me. I use olive oil for cooking and dressings and have added almonds, pecan and walnuts to my diet. Surprisingly, i have stooped snacking as no longer feel hungry between meals. Most weekends, I have a late breakfast then not eat then until dinner. I’m absolutely amazed how much better I feel, I have so much more energy.

Good luck with your journey.

Thats great progress. Im finding I’m making myself snack just to get some calories on. Just not hungry at all. Hopefully that will level out after a little while on the medication.

My brother has diabetes in remission so fingers crossed I can too.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I’ll look into them. I live in Norway so dont have access to somethings. But will definitely try.
Good morning, it’s exciting for you that you get to start improving your health and feeling better. I’m also not in the UK and though we do have access to lots of packaged options here I enjoy making my food from scratch and thankfully have the time to do so. There are lots of great low carb tortilla recipes on online sites (like Gnom-Gnom, simplysohealthy, wholesumyum, ) using only a few ingredients, none of which seem too difficult to get hold of. Tortillas are quick and easy you really can’t call it cooking, just mix together, roll out, few seconds in a dry skillet and done! That way you don’t end up with a packet of 12 either when you only want to eat two before they go stale. Most of the sites I see default to measuring using cups but there is usually a little button on an icon on the recipe card that allows you to instantly convert the amounts to grams if that is easier for you. Hope that helps.

Finncity

Good morning, it’s exciting for you that you get to start improving your health and feeling better. I’m also not in the UK and though we do have access to lots of packaged options here I enjoy making my food from scratch and thankfully have the time to do so. There are lots of great low carb tortilla recipes on online sites (like Gnom-Gnom, simplysohealthy, wholesumyum, ) using only a few ingredients, none of which seem too difficult to get hold of. Tortillas are quick and easy you really can’t call it cooking, just mix together, roll out, few seconds in a dry skillet and done! That way you don’t end up with a packet of 12 either when you only want to eat two before they go stale. Most of the sites I see default to measuring using cups but there is usually a little button on an icon on the recipe card that allows you to instantly convert the amounts to grams if that is easier for you. Hope that helps.

It does, thank you. I will look into them!

JayBee28

Thats great progress. Im finding I’m making myself snack just to get some calories on. Just not hungry at all. Hopefully that will level out after a little while on the medication.

My brother has diabetes in remission so fingers crossed I can too.
You’ve got this, if your brother can do it. It is so hard to get your head around, the I’ve found the advise on these forums invaluable.

Finncity

Well, 8.5 to 11.5 is not such a huge spike. Also, going down to 7.1 this morning is a definite step forward! Take it as a win!

When you say it like that this spike doesnt seem so bad. I think i was just disappointed. Baby steps though :)