Low carb ADF and elevated cholesterol

DevGuy

Has anyone had this problem?

How did you resolve it?

Thanks

(Lost around 20kg with fasting over 1 year. Currently in remission. But total cholesterol well above 7, and LDL above 5).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time measured my total cholesterol was 7.8 and LDL "calculated" (it's rarely measured in the UK) at 5.65.

In the words of Catherine Tate "Am I bovvered?" ... well not really because my Trig/HDL level (considered a far better indicator of the possibility of heart problems is at 0.588 (Trigs at 1 and HDL at 1.7) and anything under 0.87 is considered excellent.

As I had water fasted for 12-14 hours before the blood was taken for the test I'm pretty confident I got a 'clean' reading.

These are my readings over time

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 12.31.08.png

The high Trig/HDL in June 2020 was after 7 day fast so not representative.

Reactions: AloeSvea

DevGuy

Last time measured my total cholesterol was 7.8 and LDL "calculated" (it's rarely measured in the UK) at 5.65.

In the words of Catherine Tate "Am I bovvered?" ... well not really because my Trig/HDL level (considered a far better indicator of the possibility of heart problems is at 0.588 (Trigs at 1 and HDL at 1.7) and anything under 0.87 is considered excellent.

As I had water fasted for 12-14 hours before the blood was taken for the test I'm pretty confident I got a 'clean' reading.

These are my readings over time

View attachment 51881

The high Trig/HDL in June 2020 was after 7 day fast so not representative.

Interesting. What's your usual diet, if I may ask?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This was on Twitter - but someone who wrote that he is working in cardiology was concerned that more than half his patients had below average cholesterol levels - he claimed he could not risk his job and professional standing by even asking why that should be.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had this problem?

How did you resolve it?

Thanks

(Lost around 20kg with fasting over 1 year. Currently in remission. But total cholesterol well above 7, and LDL above 5).

My total cholesterol is always high - over 6, sometimes even over 7, but my triglycerides are always under 1. My HbA1c skirts 30.

I recently took part in a research study looking at cardiac health in those living with T2, including those in remission. Frankly, I was dreading the discussion around cholesterol. My concerns weren't necessary.

The research included a full cardiac MOT, with tests such as ECG, sonography, stressed ECG, MRI, CT scans,, Coronary Artery Calcium scan and a whole bucket full of blood tests. My heart is fine.

I had a comprehensive feedback meeting with the cardiologist overseeing my care. He was unconcerned about my cholesterol - especially as there was no evidence of historic cardiac events, worrying test findings or arterial calcium. When I asked the direct question, he told me he could so no reason I should be concerned about my cholesterol, or considering statins, although he was keen to stress his feelings could differ if my markers had been different.