urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The results are in, I have just had the 2nd stage of an annual diabetes review and was told everything is stable. A1c was 7.5% which could be better but I'll take it as a win, especially as I now only test once a day at bedtime, (unless I'm driving of course but I don't go to the office very often any more).

One interesting snippet, the GP's diabetes nurse told me that our local hospital's Endocrine centre now has a 45 week backlog so I don't know what that means for newly diagnosed D's. Doesn't sound good though does it.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woke up to a lovely 22.5!! Pump cannula had obviously failed which can happen, so whilst frustrating and felt rotten till bloods started to get to better figures, the bit that gets me the most is that Libre 2 alarms completely failed all night, as did x-drip:banghead::banghead::banghead:Technology's great, until it isn't.

Edited to add that at my endo appointment this week, the diabetes nurse said that a lot of people were finding the alarms don't work with Libre 2, and it was less accurate than Libre 1.

Last edited:

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Talking of appointments, i was supposed to have my Diabetic checkup yesterday which was still a telephone appointment but i didn’t get the call so i don’t know what’s happening now.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Woke up to a lovely 22.5!! Pump cannula had obviously failed which can happen, so whilst frustrating and felt rotten till bloods started to get to better figures, the bit that gets me the most is that Libre 2 alarms completely failed all night, as did x-drip:banghead::banghead::banghead:Technology's great, until it isn't.

Edited to add that at my endo appointment this week, the diabetes nurse said that a lot of people were finding the alarms don't work with Libre 2, and it was less accurate than Libre 1.

I'm in a couple of diabetes related Facebook groups. I see a lot of complaints about 'number two' if you get my drift.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Talking of appointments, i was supposed to have my Diabetic checkup yesterday which was still a telephone appointment but i didn’t get the call so i don’t know what’s happening now.
I'd give them a ring on Monday.

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully i’ll still have a good weekend even though i’ve got to stay in because my PCR test result has come back as positive.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's rubbish @RVW. Hope you don't end up being too ill.

Quiet-ish week on the work front once the training days were done. My main charge for the year is currently not in and my newer dia-buddy has settled down after pushing all boundaries just to see what we'd do. (Very little basically - which was disconcerting, apparently, home approach is very similar which is helpful, so after a couple of deliberately induced hypos where all I did was silently produce the preferred full-sugar drink at regular intervals to keep things as safe as possible and just letting parents know, all has been less time-consuming. There hasn't yet been full realisation that the "random" phone call home from a DSN that evening is directly related to the numbers on the Libre graphs showing up in her office... )

The other students in the group who've had more of my supportive attention with their academic work as a result were heard to mutter they wanted my absent charge back to keep me fully occupied on the other side of the room again! :D They are perfectly content, however, that the deliberately misbehaving one has settled down as they were all astute enough to realise what was going on. Also astute enough to realise whilst I don't look as if I am doing a lot with the pair of them I clearly am as we had a whole class conversation about "What it was like the day Japes was not there" which was highly entertaining and instructive all round!!

Less quiet in the evenings as both Bonfire Night and Diwali get celebrated with much enthusiasm around here. But, not yet as bad as it has been in pre-pandemic times or when Diwali is quite a few days away from Bonfire Night. (Diwali was on Thursday.)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hope the vaccine keeps the worst at bay @RVW! Keep posting so we know how you’re doing.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all. Lots of lovely coloured fireworks in the sky here last night though Cat was more interested in rooting around for mice. Neither of us appreciated the two big crumping bangs at just after midnight o’clock and fully expect craters in the local park. Were they homemade?
@Japes, your job’s never dull.
Can I sound out the hive again? I’ve made my decision already but do have concerns that I’m becoming over anxious rather than sensible. It’s another meeting of the ‘loud ladies’ with a book as an excuse. I had the booster about a month ago but it will be indoors since it’s the chilly time of the year. For newcomers, I’m officially ‘elderly’ with 52 years of T1 under my subcutaneous belt and an occasional swoop into less than perfect eGFRs and creatinine counts. Plus a tendency to get heatstroke and capillaries that damage easily.
Oh gawd, I sound as though I’m ready for the compost heap. Not going there yet, not til there’s been a lot more fun.

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's rubbish @RVW. Hope you don't end up being too ill.

Quiet-ish week on the work front once the training days were done. My main charge for the year is currently not in and my newer dia-buddy has settled down after pushing all boundaries just to see what we'd do. (Very little basically - which was disconcerting, apparently, home approach is very similar which is helpful, so after a couple of deliberately induced hypos where all I did was silently produce the preferred full-sugar drink at regular intervals to keep things as safe as possible and just letting parents know, all has been less time-consuming. There hasn't yet been full realisation that the "random" phone call home from a DSN that evening is directly related to the numbers on the Libre graphs showing up in her office... )

The other students in the group who've had more of my supportive attention with their academic work as a result were heard to mutter they wanted my absent charge back to keep me fully occupied on the other side of the room again! :D They are perfectly content, however, that the deliberately misbehaving one has settled down as they were all astute enough to realise what was going on. Also astute enough to realise whilst I don't look as if I am doing a lot with the pair of them I clearly am as we had a whole class conversation about "What it was like the day Japes was not there" which was highly entertaining and instructive all round!!

Less quiet in the evenings as both Bonfire Night and Diwali get celebrated with much enthusiasm around here. But, not yet as bad as it has been in pre-pandemic times or when Diwali is quite a few days away from Bonfire Night. (Diwali was on Thursday.)

Thanks Japes i appreciate that.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Japes

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope the vaccine keeps the worst at bay @RVW! Keep posting so we know how you’re doing.

Thanks Fairygodmother, i don’t feel to bad at the minute, a slight cough and headache but mainly feel totally exhausted but i do believe the reason i don’t feel too bad is thankfully because of the vaccines.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother It is fair to say my job is never dull. And you all only get the carefully edited highlights!

My tuppence worth is I think you are being sensible. I've been getting a fair amount of flak for not rushing back into social events, for asking awkward questions about logistics of some matters, (Yes, people who want things at my church to go back to "normal", - I'm glaring at you.) but, frankly, I can only control my own behaviour, not that of others, (much as I would love to Sort Out The World) and for the foreseeable future, I remain extremely cautious.

Reactions: urbanracer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother It is fair to say my job is never dull. And you all only get the carefully edited highlights!

My tuppence worth is I think you are being sensible. I've been getting a fair amount of flak for not rushing back into social events, for asking awkward questions about logistics of some matters, (Yes, people who want things at my church to go back to "normal", - I'm glaring at you.) but, frankly, I can only control my own behaviour, not that of others, (much as I would love to Sort Out The World) and for the foreseeable future, I remain extremely cautious.
I went out for a good walk this afternoon and ended up in town. I’m now three books from the Oxfam 2nd hand bookshop and a pair of sale shoes richer. Older daughter was here when I got back. She’s a teacher, and I realised I was very pleased and totally relaxed to see her, so I have begun to wonder if long term distancing and not meeting people has made my imagination overripe. To be fair, the school she teaches in was hit very hard in the first wave but seems to be riding this one with very few cases.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am still leery of any meetings indoors. Like @Japes has said you can only control your own behavior. I have relaxed things in outdoor settings. I've gone to some appointments, the skin doctor, chiro and bone scan, mammogram, I figured my odds of actually running into the one person doing the tests being sick that the risks were minimal enough.

But I personally just don't trust all people. I am vaccinated and I think I don't care who is vaccinated or not as both can transmit the virus if sick. I think the risks being outside are minimal. But the quantity of people who faked vaccine cards and negative tests, the people that have turned out sick that still went to work. The quantity of tourists that went around sick when they had active covid cases because they didn't want to stay couped up and ruin their vacation. My sister in law that had a husband that had active covid and thought she was just having allergies and was out and about.....................in a group of people indoors, I am still leery.

It's a decision we all have to make for ourselves though, the pros and cons? I don't fault anyone for their decisions. I figure eventually we all will end up getting exposed and probably sick from covid, it's here to stay. I am just hoping for me it's well after the medical field knows exactly what to do about it. And maybe along the line small exposures so my immune system has a chance.

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, fortunately i now have a libre sensor that works but unfortunately it’s 0% in target thanks to horrid Covid and bloods sugars being too high, great!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all, fortunately i now have a libre sensor that works but unfortunately it’s 0% in target thanks to horrid Covid and bloods sugars being too high, great!
Oh dear, I hope you have enough blood test strips. It’s the nasty side of Covid for a Type One. Inflammation, immune responses, high blood sugars: covid’s very own way of attacking us, aren’t we lucky.
Do you have someone with you who can mask up and leave you water, more insulin, more test strips?

Reactions: Hopeful34