Ozempic has no effect on me. is it normal?

3director

Hi,
I have pre diabetes type 2, my BMI is really high.
I went to my doctor to discuss bariatric surgery, but she suggested saxenda and ozempic for weight loss.
I started with saxenda - 4 weeks, got almost to the max quantity but it has no effect on me. nothing, not even nauseous. My appetite was the same as before.

Then I stopped using saxenda and started to use ozempic.
week one 0.25 - no effect
week two 0.5 - no effect
Today, week tree I went 1.0 with her permission.

Is it normal that both medicines has no effect on my appetite?
Is it too soon to give up on ozempic? someone here maybe has experienced late effect with ozempic?

I really want to avoid surgery. I hope to find encouraging information here.
Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of stuff are you eating?

You might find that you'd have better results with changing what you eat rather than relying on medication.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it useful.
I would echo @bulkbiker post. Please tell us a bit more about yourself.
A fair few folk on this forum have found changing what they eat can be of considerable benefit in relation to T2 and medication.
Wish you well

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I went to my doctor to discuss bariatric surgery, but she suggested saxenda and ozempic for weight loss.
I started with saxenda - 4 weeks, got almost to the max quantity but it has no effect on me. nothing, not even nauseous. My appetite was the same as before.

week two 0.5 - no effect

Is it too soon to give up on ozempic? someone here maybe has experienced late effect with ozempic?

Thanks.
The only known ways to reverse out of diabetes don't involve drugs I am afraid as they can only reduce 1 symptom (higher blood glucose) and even that not very well in the long term as you are finding.
The known ways are:
Bariatric surgery
Severe calorie restriction (the Newcastle diet protocol) 800 kcals daily (needs medicatl supervision).
Low carb (below 120g and possibly much less if you are very insulin resistant). See Virta Health who run a US based programme helping type 2 diabetics get into remission.
Drugs get liscnsed just by showing they can safely (with tolerable side effects) lower blood glucose but they don't actually address the root cause (insulin resistance) which is food able!

Reactions: Moggy1968 and HSSS

3director

What kind of stuff are you eating?

You might find that you'd have better results with changing what you eat rather than relying on medication.
Thank you. Im using the osempic for controlling my weight and not my diebetes.
My friends are doing the same and they went down from 3000KALORIES a day to 1000.

For some reason It has no effect on me. not at all. is this normal? should I continue to inject and maybe it will have an effect on me later on?
Thanks

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Im using the osempic for controlling my weight and not my diebetes.
My friends are doing the same and they went down from 3000KALORIES a day to 1000.

For some reason It has no effect on me. not at all. is this normal? should I continue to inject and maybe it will have an effect on me later on?
Thanks
Have you also reduced your calories, like your friends have? Are they also type 2 diabetics?

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Initially Ozempic had little effect on me for the two weeks I took it, then it made me quite ill and I had to stop it on my physician's advice.
Going down from 3,000 calories a day to around 2,000 without medication is relatively simple.
I would encourage you to try, if you feel like it.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Ozempic user here. So the 0.25&0.5 doses do nothing for the average person because they are titration rates to get the body use to the drug. The 1.0 injections are the real deal and they can also take time to get to work. Ozempic is NOT a magic pill, YOU need to put work in with it too.
You need to work on what you are eating and drinking.
Your hunger may not be hunger but dehydration.
If you haven’t then you need to leave carbs and sugary foods alone because once it starts working, you will be bunged up.
Have you started adding a multi vitamin to your daily routine?
Give the 1.0 dose at least 8 weeks before giving up and try Couch to 5k.
Good luck.

finzi1966

I’m an Ozempic user, primarily for type 2 but am overweight too.

Started mid October, had a month on 0.25mg and have just started a month on 0.5mg (this week).

I was 107kg when I started and am 101kg now.

I didn’t notice a drastic difference in appetite for the first month (perhaps a little) but I’m really noticing a difference now. Also the moving up to 0.5mg has dramatically lowered my BG as well (from 7s and 8s to 4s and 5s).

But I know you more interested in the weight loss/appetite part. I would say now that my appetite is minimal- I do eat something three times a day, but not very much. As an example yesterday, for breakfast I had half a cup of Greek yoghurt, for lunch I had one and a half sausages, and for dinner I had about 100g pork mince and a tablespoon of cauliflower mash. This morning for breakfast I have had a cup of chicken broth.

I don’t really ever feel hungry and if I do, it stops if I have a large drink of water.

But this has only really been since going up to 0.5mg and after 4-5 weeks. So I would say, give it longer because I certainly didn’t feel dramatic difference in the first month. Of course you might not be as overweight as me (I’ve still got at least another 25kg to lose) so it might be different

Reactions: Moggy1968

*Gingerwine*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had my 4th 0.25 Ozempic jab yesterday. This has been prescribed for me as I am intolerant to Metformin and emplagliflozin sent me into DKA. I have been on a low dose of Levemir insulin since my DKA but I can stop this now, yeah!

I am concerned that I will lose too much weight. I am 9st 4lbs and could co with losing 5 - 6lbs but not much more. The Ozempic makes me nauseous, I am having smaller meals but often can't finish them. And I have fierce heartburn in the night.

I take my first 0.5 dose next Thursday. Wish me luck!

Musicalsoul

Hi,

week two 0.5 - no effect

Thanks.
Hi. I started on initial dose, .25, very slight change in amount of food I could eat. It wore off very quickly. I am now on .5, very sadly there is no reduction in my physical appetite….note I say physical. I too am diabetic and considering bariatric surgery; but for me, it’s crucial to get my head issues with food dealt with first as in my case they are the major driver of over eating…. Hence I’ve emailed a psychologist with view to treatment. My bmi is 40. I do take quetiapine, an anti psych drug as an adjunct to venleflaxine….anti psychs can have an awful effect on food & appetite.. I was hoping I would be one of the people ozempic ‘worked for’ sadly not the case. I will be moving to 1mg soon, but to be honest, I can’t see it helping to decrease my appetite, though my sugars could improve. I’m waiting for wegovy to come out this summer and I’ll ask to try that. I think it’s logical to try everything, including therapy and drug intervention BEFORE bariatric surgery…. no one really wants to go down that route unless it’s the last thing they can try I would have assumed. Best wishes to you x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I started on initial dose, .25, very slight change in amount of food I could eat. It wore off very quickly. I am now on .5, very sadly there is no reduction in my physical appetite….note I say physical. I too am diabetic and considering bariatric surgery; but for me, it’s crucial to get my head issues with food dealt with first as in my case they are the major driver of over eating…. Hence I’ve emailed a psychologist with view to treatment. My bmi is 40. I do take quetiapine, an anti psych drug as an adjunct to venleflaxine….anti psychs can have an awful effect on food & appetite.. I was hoping I would be one of the people ozempic ‘worked for’ sadly not the case. I will be moving to 1mg soon, but to be honest, I can’t see it helping to decrease my appetite, though my sugars could improve. I’m waiting for wegovy to come out this summer and I’ll ask to try that. I think it’s logical to try everything, including therapy and drug intervention BEFORE bariatric surgery…. no one really wants to go down that route unless it’s the last thing they can try I would have assumed. Best wishes to you x
Hi welcome.

Have you tried following a low carb higher fat way of eating? I used to be always hungry. Then one day instead of my normal bacon butty I just had the same amount of bacon but no bread as I had run out of bread. I was normally starving hungry by 10 am. That day to my amazement I didn't feel hungry until after 1 pm.

I agree there can be other issues that cause overeating but I feel if you could manage to get rid of the carb addiction that would be a good step forward for you.

Reactions: Moggy1968

MalyQ

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it useful.
I would echo @bulkbiker post. Please tell us a bit more about yourself.
A fair few folk on this forum have found changing what they eat can be of considerable benefit in relation to T2 and medication.
Wish you well
I'm on my 2nd week on Ozempic and I'm just wondering if anyone has broken down their shots? For example: on .50, instead of doing one .50 shot, doing two .25 shots in a week? If on 1.0, doing two two .50 shots?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on my 2nd week on Ozempic and I'm just wondering if anyone has broken down their shots? For example: on .50, instead of doing one .50 shot, doing two .25 shots in a week? If on 1.0, doing two two .50 shots?

NO NO NO! Please do not do that! 0.25 is what is known as a therapeutic dose. After it’s been processed by your liver, there is very little left to be of any benefit to your body.

lena40711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

week two 0.5 - no effect

Thanks.

lena40711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your not alone i been using ozempic since april no weight loss so now im working out 4 days a week. At first it slow down my appetite now im having a lot of side effects

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve been in Ozempic since March. It’s brought my hba1c down from 119 to 46 and I’ve lost a stone in weight. I’ve not changed my diet (which is pretty shocking) at all. The only downside for me is ongoing nausea and sickness. I’m being dropped down to 0.5mg to see if the sickness stops.