Don't WANNA!!!!

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since getting the 'you are in the prediabetic range' phone call from the GP back in June I have gone fiercely low carb, I've lost something over 25kg, and I've been walking at least 5 miles a day (I think of the 5 miles as one of the 'medicines' I have to take - it's MUCH easier than wrangling repeat prescriptions and medicine checks)

All good. I feel a lot fitter, my resting pulse rate has dropped by over 10 beats per minute, I can do my miles pretty easily now without feeling like I'm going to die at the top of the slopes. Heck, I even voluntarily walk down hills so that I have to walk back up again - we live at the top of a pretty steep hill, the town centre is at the bottom of the hill. It's a 3 mile round trip.

So what's my problem?

Last night someone offered a thing on the local WhatsApp group, the bloke shape wanted it, so we took the car round to the next road to pick it up (it was too awkward/bulky to want to carry it). But, well, he drove, I walked. And then, on the way back I tried jogging a bit. I did about half way before going back to my usual walk.

I have never, ever, been able to run. Ever. Before losing the weight this summer my knees were hurting a lot, I was always the 'fat kid' at school. Running is not me.

I need to suck it up and actually start the Couch to 5k thing that's on my phone don't I?

DON'T WANNA! (Except I do, because I think I maybe can now, at least start it)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DON'T WANNA!

But I suspect you're going to! Once you get the bug it's futile to resist. I actually don't run because of my diabetes, I do it to try and keep fit heart wise, muscle wise and everything else. I'm of a certain age and as a female just want to keep my bones strong. Honestly, I don't so much enjoy the thought of treking out to run but after you've done it it is so very satisfying. I thought I couldn't run long distances for years as a kid and young adult, how wrong I was.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - lady of a certain age here as well (though many who know me would question the 'lady' descriptor. As would I really ...)

But yes, you're right. I'm going to start it, at least to see how it goes.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would urge you to think long term. Decades, not months.

If your knees were hurting previously, they were under strain.
It is fab that you have lost weight, but do you really think that an extended period of knee strain has been fully rectified by a bit a weight loss, and the welcome absence of pain? You have no idea what the long term consequences will be, and introducing high impact exercise on an established weakness could fast track you to serious injury.

I'm not arguing against exercise, I am simply arguing against choosing a type of exercise that may exacerbate a pre-existing long term problem.

There are so many other types of exercise available, why not choose one with less (or zero) joint impact.

Don't know how old you are, or the state of your joints, but I have had several friends who have gone through Born Again exercise kicks, who have ended up with some really nasty consequences. Months of sofa rest, tendonitis, knee replacements, ongoing back issues, repeated steroid injections...

I'm 54 and my knees are Right Royally ****** after a lot of sport in my teens (back when my body was young, fit, agile and healed rapidly).
If I could go back 30-40 years I would stop all that silly high impact nonsense, and do things VERY differently.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That does make a lot of sense, but I loathe cycling, I would have to be under threat of imminent death to take that up. Swimming is far too high in overheads of ... get ready, go out, get changed, swim (with Other People!!! No, the horror!), get changed again, go home.

Maybe there is damage in there that may be exacerbated, almost certainly in fact, but I am willing to take that chance, while being careful and listening to what my body is telling me. I am a veteran of many ankle injuries starting from when I was 6 years old. I am very used to being very aware of what my joints are doing.

I take all of your points, and they are all valid, but for now I'm going to risk it.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness.
So you have pre-existing knee AND ankle problems?

Good luck.
You will need it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the good wishes.
You're braver than I am. When on walks I often get overtaken by joggers and runners, and I so would want to try the same... But my hip would never ever forgive me. (And my physical therapist would beat me over the head with his bench). I hope you'll kick **** though, without any ill after effects!

Just imagine me by the side of the road with pompoms, cheering you on!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That does make a lot of sense, but I loathe cycling, I would have to be under threat of imminent death to take that up. Swimming is far too high in overheads of ... get ready, go out, get changed, swim (with Other People!!! No, the horror!), get changed again, go home.

Maybe there is damage in there that may be exacerbated, almost certainly in fact, but I am willing to take that chance, while being careful and listening to what my body is telling me. I am a veteran of many ankle injuries starting from when I was 6 years old. I am very used to being very aware of what my joints are doing.

I take all of your points, and they are all valid, but for now I'm going to risk it.

Hi Widgets, I see you are 55 (I'm 59). To be fair I have been running for over 20 years so for me it's not a sudden thing, also I don't have any joint problems. I chose running because I think for our bones it needs to be weight bearing exercise?? I am sure you are being very careful and of course we all have to choose for ourselves so please let us know how you get on. x.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all the positive comments.

I did C25k week 1 day one this morning - so intervals of 1 minute run and 2 minutes walk. I managed to 'run' all of the running intervals. My running pace was WAY slower than my walking, but I did it.

I did do the program 10 or so years ago and got to being able to run for 20 minutes (when I say 'run' ... I was being overtaken by snails that were feeling particularly feisty that day), but didn't keep up with it.

This time I've been walking every day since June, and am up to 5+ miles a day, I have been getting irritated that I can't walk faster, so clearly the obvious thing to do is start running and have it take even longer.

And yes, I will be sensible and go back to walking at the sign of any untoward twinges ...

Reactions: Lainie71

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
I’ve spent the last 11 months getting fitter and reducing my HBA1C by about 65 mmol/mol.

Pretty much all I do for exercise is run, I’ve gone from walking when I felt like once a week for a few Km, to running half marathons, having not run for 30 years.

If you stick with go to a running shop and get them to do a gait analysis and buy a pair of decent running shoes.

Listen to your body when it complains , be prepared to take days off when you don’t want to.

I get some knee and ankle pain, but usually after I have over trained distance wise or just hit it too hard and gone too fast.

I’ve just signed up for a marathon next year.

BMI has gone from 30ish to 25 and consultant endocrinologist says don’t lose any more weight.

Running is my diabetic therapy, and one Metformin a day which all the medical folks are happy I can drop whenever I want.

Reactions: Lainie71

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had to stop running a couple of weeks ago. I managed to fall over my shoe laces while WALKING near home. Banged my knee (and face ...) quite impressively. So I'm walking for now until various joints tell me it's OK to start going faster again. I think I'm nearly there. I do have decent running shoes from a few years back when I got properly fitted for them (they aren't worn out ... I rather stopped the running when I 'finished' the C25K)

I've been walking 5 miles a day for several months, treating it as one of my daily 'medicines' when I don't feel like going out. My BMI has dropped from 37 to 27 and my pulse rate by 10 bpm. Just now I'm concentrating on being brave about tackling more of the hills around here (there are plenty - we live on the edge of the Chilterns). I'll get there, but even at this level I'm feeling the benefit.

cien

Thank you for all the positive comments.

I did C25k week 1 day one this morning - so intervals of 1 minute run and 2 minutes walk. I managed to 'run' all of the running intervals. My running pace was WAY slower than my walking, but I did it.

I did do the program 10 or so years ago and got to being able to run for 20 minutes (when I say 'run' ... I was being overtaken by snails that were feeling particularly feisty that day), but didn't keep up with it.

This time I've been walking every day since June, and am up to 5+ miles a day, I have been getting irritated that I can't walk faster, so clearly the obvious thing to do is start running and have it take even longer.

And yes, I will be sensible and go back to walking at the sign of any untoward twinges ...
Hi Widgets
Does the HB1C work like glucose meter. I am interested in getting one. Thanks

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Widgets
Does the HB1C work like glucose meter. I am interested in getting one. Thanks

HbA1C is a blood test that looks at the average level of glucose in your blood over about the last three months - it's the sort of test that has to be sent to a laboratory for the results to be determines.

A finger prick blood glucose meter shows you the level of your blood glucose at a single moment. An app like 'MySugr' where you record the numbers from your meter will give an estimate of what your HbA1C would be.

There are a lot of variables in all of those things, but broadly that's how they work. I would say definitely get hold a glucose meter though - if you do a search on here you should find the informative post that someone has already created. It tends to be that the meters are quite inexpensive, the cost really comes in the price of the test strips, so check that carefully when deciding which to get. I just looked on Amazon and picked one that had the least expensive strips.

I would say it is definitely worth getting one and seeing how you react to different foods though. I've found mine utterly invaluable.

cien

HbA1C is a blood test that looks at the average level of glucose in your blood over about the last three months - it's the sort of test that has to be sent to a laboratory for the results to be determines.

A finger prick blood glucose meter shows you the level of your blood glucose at a single moment. An app like 'MySugr' where you record the numbers from your meter will give an estimate of what your HbA1C would be.

There are a lot of variables in all of those things, but broadly that's how they work. I would say definitely get hold a glucose meter though - if you do a search on here you should find the informative post that someone has already created. It tends to be that the meters are quite inexpensive, the cost really comes in the price of the test strips, so check that carefully when deciding which to get. I just looked on Amazon and picked one that had the least expensive strips.

I would say it is definitely worth getting one and seeing how you react to different foods though. I've found mine utterly invaluable.

cien

Thank you Widgets for your response. Being new here I tens to get overwhelmed with blogs and forums and members etc.!
I have a glucose meter now and being using it regularly. Invaluable implement.
How do I register for VAT exemption so I can purchase the AC1 Now meter .
I am full on to reduce my sugar level to avoid going on to insulin. This forum is amazing. Thank you so much

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Widgets for your response. Being new here I tens to get overwhelmed with blogs and forums and members etc.!
I have a glucose meter now and being using it regularly. Invaluable implement.
How do I register for VAT exemption so I can purchase the AC1 Now meter .
I am full on to reduce my sugar level to avoid going on to insulin. This forum is amazing. Thank you so much

You're welcome. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you've been here a while you'll get used to who's who and what things most people here more or less agree on. The meter though is, I reckon, the best tool in the toolkit.

I have no idea about the VAT exemption though, you might be better off starting your own thread with something like that as the title (go into something like the 'Ask a Question' forum and you should see the 'Post a New Thread' button at the top right)

cien

You're welcome. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you've been here a while you'll get used to who's who and what things most people here more or less agree on. The meter though is, I reckon, the best tool in the toolkit.

I have no idea about the VAT exemption though, you might be better off starting your own thread with something like that as the title (go into something like the 'Ask a Question' forum and you should see the 'Post a New Thread' button at the top right)
Thank you