First Christmas as a diabetic.

Paul A G

I was diagnosed as Type 2 in August this year. I have got my hbA1c down from 69 to 42 with weight loss and diet. Even though this year's festivities are somewhat curtailed as a result of the upsurge in the “plague” this year will be my first Christmas as a diabetic, and I was wondering what pitfalls people have found at this time of year. I would be grateful to anyone who has any suggestions on what and what to eat and what to avoid, in particular for things like snacks and starters (a particular problem as I “don’t do” salad, my goto starter for any meal has always been pate on toast).

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should imagine you'll be absolutely fine with the pate, you just need to find something less carby than toast to put it on.

Reactions: EllieM

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Or something like a slice of toasted HiLo bread or similar at 5g of carbohydrate.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in August this year. I have got my hbA1c down from 69 to 42 with weight loss and diet. Even though this year's festivities are somewhat curtailed as a result of the upsurge in the “plague” this year will be my first Christmas as a diabetic, and I was wondering what pitfalls people have found at this time of year. I would be grateful to anyone who has any suggestions on what and what to eat and what to avoid, in particular for things like snacks and starters (a particular problem as I “don’t do” salad, my goto starter for any meal has always been pate on toast).

Snacks - nuts (Walnuts) you can roast with salt and pepper / Cheese / Berries / Olives

Starters - Meats / Cheese

Mains - Keep with the Veg and Meat
Some people will go with Butternut in moderation and add Cinnamon for the Christmas taste instead of other Carbs

Just some ideas

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It's Christmas, the sky won't fall if you have a slice of toast with lashings of butter and pate. If a couple of roast spuds and a small slice of Christmas cake should happen to fall into your mouth, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It's once a year, who knows how many Christmas days we have left don't let T2 spoil it for you.

Reactions: Stupot1

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Have now thought about this. I have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast but no fizz. This does not set off an insulin response and allows me to have some degree of control for the rest of the day. One roast potato, more of the above ground vege, gin and slim but no wine. Pudding is a mini mince pie, a clementine, one liqueur chocolate, lots of different cheeses. I save the Xmas cake for another day. That's the plan anyway. Whether I stick to it............

Reactions: Widgets

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Unlike some I don't want to use Christmas as an excuse to risk my eyesight or feet - I saw my mother do that too many times and saw the results - so I try to stay low carb in spite of loving Christmas cake and pudding and mince pies,
I looked around for decent substitutes my first year and happily made a low carb ginger cake and low carb mince pie. Next year I found a couple of low carb fruit cake recipes that work well.
Any cold meat, fish or cheese is fine for a starter, just avoid high carb bread. You can make a simple 90second bread with ground almonds, which is nice split and toasted.
I make a stuffing with ground almonds, a little butter, loads of sage and some grated onion.
Then a variety of green veg and some roasted kohlrabi with the turkey, and a little liquid 'gravy' without thickening.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unlike some I don't want to use Christmas as an excuse to risk my eyesight or feet
I think that is being rather over dramatic and possibly disturbing for the recently diagnosed. A modest departure from a low carb diet on one day of the year is not going to do any permanent harm and may be beneficial if it makes Christmas more enjoyable during the current restrictions on social life. I normally go to my brother's house for Christmas lunch, but it hasn't proved a problem for me or them. I have the same meal as everyone else, I just have more meat and vegetables, only have a couple of small roast potatoes and avoid the dessert in favour of cheese. Plenty of red wine with the meal and a glass of port afterwards and nobody would even notice I am a diabetic on a low carb diet..

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I should imagine you'll be absolutely fine with the pate, you just need to find something less carby than toast to put it on.
I like brussels pate in between big lettuce leaves, chopped up celery and crushed nuts :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to face the fact that after some years of normal numbers I could eat just about anything and all that the wrong choices would do is make me heavier.
It is over 5 years since diagnosis, and I was back in normal numbers very quickly eating low carb.
Even if I do decide to eat off plan, it isn't the start of a complete alteration in my way of eating, carbs just do not work on me like that - probably due to the resentment I still have for being told that the low fat high carb 'healthy' diet was the only right one and that I was either too stupid or too deceitful, or too greedy or was gorging - they always used that term - and I will not forgive.....
I will probably have three Yorkshire puddings - one for each Riding, but I make them with cream and lots of eggs, bread flour - I don't eat potatoes, but there will hardly be room for them with everything else on there, roast parsnips and carrots, steamed fresh veges, possibly sprouts and maybe some mashed swede, there are more than enough choices even if I get to have two Christmas dinners out with family and then one at home as well.
I will then ease back a bit before celebrating 12th night, just indulge in the pate, cheese and low carb crackers, the meats, fish and leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What would you like to do Paul?

As you can see, some stick well and truly to their usual way of eating, albeit maybe slightly more luxurious (all relative of course) options, and some like to have a day where T2isn't taken into account.

Really which route you take (and it's by no means necessarily one or t'other), you have to be comfortable about it.

Every year we see folks pledge to have a couple of roasties and a mince pie, only to come back 6 months later having meandered right off their own personal tracks and finding all food - especially some T2 unfriendly options - irresistable.

So, if you decide to meander off piste, please consider if you'll be able to get straight back "on plan" or if one day would become one day, week, month or a bit longer.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a lovely time doing what you want with those you want to be with.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not one size fits all, even for one person
You'll need to plan for each situation
For example if you plan to go off plan for one meal, make sure you also plan to go back on plan.
If its dealing with a social event one option may be to eat before you go so you don't get tempted.
Another option might be to take your own food, or to replace something with a low carb option
Sometimes writing down your plans and strategies helps
You know you best, this is all about working out a way of eating for the rest of your life, and if you make a mistake this Xmas then you'll know for next.
Last year was my first and I thought I'd hate it but it was easier than I thought. This year my tastes have changed so much I didn't even want most of it, roasties, mince pies, fruit cake etc (but still want the important wine and chocolates :) so have planned them in)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like brussels pate in between big lettuce leaves, chopped up celery and crushed nuts :)
I recently discovered fresh chicory leaves. So far I eat them with Hellman's Real Mayonnaise, but I'm hoping to make some liver pâté and foresee that would go well with chicory. For those who have yet to try chicory (I didn't discover it till almost 80 yo) it is slightly bitter and very crisp. Conveniently for the holidays it keeps its freshness and crispness a long time in the fridge, I would think longer than lettuce. @Lainie71 Your idea of adding the crunch of celery sounds a good idea.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be grateful to anyone who has any suggestions on what and what to eat and what to avoid,
@Paul A G imo the important thing is to make every higher carb indulgence a wanted, indeed passionately desired holiday treat. From now on you are excused from eating out of duty anything that will not fill you with delight. I remember meeting an older man who said that now he was over 70 he had the right NOT to eat pastry. He wasn't diabetic, he just didn't want to fatten himself up consuming foods he didn't love. Maybe start now drawing up a list of the foods you hope to eat, and those you will refuse or leave on your plate?

Stupot1

With that result in numbers a treat should be in order, just don’t over do it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe some low carb crackers? There are various recipes.
I recommend making small amounts and eating them fresh each time.