Help needed with diagnosis (RH.)

iallaway

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Laws on testing will be that all the time you are driving you must have had a test within the last 2 hours.. and a minimum of 2 tests a day even on non driving days...

you may still be on dodgy ground re the passing out... as if you knew you were low to the point of passing out you should have aborted the test... passing out should mean your license is revoked until you can prove you've had no issues for a minimum of 3 months... so whatever you do don't let it happen again testing or not.. once good license is revoked you may not get it back

I still think you need to seek advice on this

You have to tell the DVLA about RH anyway... so makes sure you have at least 3 months full bg tests
@searley Thank you for that. I am waiting for my consultant to call me so in the mean time how often and many times a day should I test, I know you said 2 when not driving but how about when im at work. My libre today alarmed quite a few times 5.5 which is ok because that warns me its going low but then it did go down to 3.3 and my meter said 3.8 so I worked on it to get back up. Thank you so much, and sorry for being a pain in the A**

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
@searley Thank you for that. I am waiting for my consultant to call me so in the mean time how often and many times a day should I test, I know you said 2 when not driving but how about when im at work. My libre today alarmed quite a few times 5.5 which is ok because that warns me its going low but then it did go down to 3.3 and my meter said 3.8 so I worked on it to get back up. Thank you so much, and sorry for being a pain in the A**
For diabetics whilst driving you must always have had a test within the last 2 hours.. so 9 hours driving would need 5 tests

So you need to have a meter with a large memory as if the dvla want results they will want 3 months worth... just 1 missing result could be a problem if they do want them

You may be lucky and get advised this is not required for RH but play on the safe side

As unfortunately what has been said above about not needing to tell dvla may be valid for car drivers but it almost certainly not the case for LGV/PCV which have totally different criterion.. as any illness that can cause you to pass out is notifiable so keeping good records now will help you get you license back quicker if it is revoked... and fingers crossed they may well come back and say its not an issue

And as you are only a couple of years away from a D4 medical you wouldn't want RH reported there without making sure there is no issue for the dvla

iallaway

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
For diabetics whilst driving you must always have had a test within the last 2 hours.. so 9 hours driving would need 5 tests

So you need to have a meter with a large memory as if the dvla want results they will want 3 months worth... just 1 missing result could be a problem if they do want them

You may be lucky and get advised this is not required for RH but play on the safe side

As unfortunately what has been said above about not needing to tell dvla may be valid for car drivers but it almost certainly not the case for LGV/PCV which have totally different criterion.. as any illness that can cause you to pass out is notifiable so keeping good records now will help you get you license back quicker if it is revoked... and fingers crossed they may well come back and say its not an issue

And as you are only a couple of years away from a D4 medical you wouldn't want RH reported there without making sure there is no issue for the dvla
Thank you so so much for all your help. I am self funding lbre 2 and got a starter kit from dexcomG6 one in each arm. Wow so much difference, L2 says 5.0 and G6 says 7.2 confusing or what.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Testing should be centered around meals.
A pre meal test followed by a two hours after first bite test.
The reasoning behind this, is to assess how your hormonal response which includes an initial insulin response has the capacity to cope with the glucose derived from the carbs in the meal, because of the imbalance of your insulin, this creates the high spike.
This is the trigger for the excess overshoot that is the main reason why you go hypo.

The two hours test needs to be within 2mmols of your pre meal reading, if it is that is good, if it's over, then there is some food in that meal that is bad for you. Maintaining high glucose levels in or around diabetic levels will lead to T2 diabetes and RH.

A food diary should be used in conjunction with the glucometer.

Take care, stay safe.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you so so much for all your help. I am self funding lbre 2 and got a starter kit from dexcomG6 one in each arm. Wow so much difference, L2 says 5.0 and G6 says 7.2 confusing or what.

Sensors are generally slightly less accurate than blood testing meters and blood testing meters are allowed to be up to 15% out. But if you compare the sensors against the glucometer you should get an idea of which is more accurate, though there is a slight lag in a sensor reading so I wouldn't do the comparison when your bg is changing rapidly.

As a T1, I get insulin induced hypos and use my dexcom to avoid most of them (it alarms at 4.4) If I have a bad hypo, goes below 4 steeply, I get out my trusty glucometer to check when I go back up. I find the dexcom generally matches it pretty well, but sensors do occasionally misread, so you can't 100% rely on them. Note the dexcom allows you to calibrate your sensor if it seems to be reading low or high (mine often gives me false hypos when I first put it on, reading slightly low).

You'll learn your own body and how accurately either cgm works with it, but I'd always believe the glucometer over a sensor, though I might take a second reading (wash hands etc) if the two wildly differ.

Good luck, I'd be fascinated to hear a break down of how the two cgms compare when you've finished the trial. (I used to use the libre 1 but had to stop because of an allergic reaction. I much prefer the G6 but haven't tried a libre 2 so don't know how much it has improved.)

iallaway

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sensors are generally slightly less accurate than blood testing meters and blood testing meters are allowed to be up to 15% out. But if you compare the sensors against the glucometer you should get an idea of which is more accurate, though there is a slight lag in a sensor reading so I wouldn't do the comparison when your bg is changing rapidly.

As a T1, I get insulin induced hypos and use my dexcom to avoid most of them (it alarms at 4.4) If I have a bad hypo, goes below 4 steeply, I get out my trusty glucometer to check when I go back up. I find the dexcom generally matches it pretty well, but sensors do occasionally misread, so you can't 100% rely on them. Note the dexcom allows you to calibrate your sensor if it seems to be reading low or high (mine often gives me false hypos when I first put it on, reading slightly low).

You'll learn your own body and how accurately either cgm works with it, but I'd always believe the glucometer over a sensor, though I might take a second reading (wash hands etc) if the two wildly differ.

Good luck, I'd be fascinated to hear a break down of how the two cgms compare when you've finished the trial. (I used to use the libre 1 but had to stop because of an allergic reaction. I much prefer the G6 but haven't tried a libre 2 so don't know how much it has improved.)
Thank you Ellie I will need to look into calibrating the G6. I like the fact you dont have to scan all the time

Reactions: Lamont D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you Ellie I will need to look into calibrating the G6. I like the fact you dont have to scan all the time

I thought you could set the libre 2 up to send alarms to your phone, but you'd have to ask a libre 2 user about that???

iallaway

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought you could set the libre 2 up to send alarms to your phone, but you'd have to ask a libre 2 user about that???
Hi Yes i have that set for the alarms. I have just tested myself and libre was 4.8 G6 was 6.8 so i tested myself and I was 5.1 so I found where to calibrate the G6 I will try that if not i will look on the forum. This is a totally differen issue. Thank you