Christmas low

margu1

Hi
This is my first Christmas as a type 2 diabetic on Insulin.
I feel very depressed at the moment knowing i cant have any of the treats that come with Christmas. I have a sweet tooth!
I have sad memories of losing family at this time of year too. I would be happy to let Christmas pass me by this year. How can i pull myself out of this negativity or do i just have to grit my teeth and get through it?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
This is my first Christmas as a type 2 diabetic on Insulin.
I feel very depressed at the moment knowing i cant have any of the treats that come with Christmas. I have a sweet tooth!
I have sad memories of losing family at this time of year too. I would be happy to let Christmas pass me by this year. How can i pull myself out of this negativity or do i just have to grit my teeth and get through it?

Hi there, how do you normally manage your food and your insulin? I'm not advocating going overboard if it means your glucose levels go too high or too low but there's no real need to decide not to have any of your 'treats' unless you choose to. Sometimes (and it's down to individuals), a treat along the way makes them feel better and less negative. Of course if you're an all or nothing person that can be tricky.

Reactions: ert

BravoKilo

Sorry to hear your’re feeling depressed.

Easier to say than do, but things like going out a walk outside, looking out rather than in and thinking of what you can do / can eat rather than what you can’t may help a little.

On the sweet /treat front, it depends on your tastes but there are low carb desserts alternatives ( eg on Dietdoctor .com etc) which typically use cream or non-sugar sweeteners. If you can limit yourself to a small square, and like the taste (I do!) the high percentage chocolate (egLindt 90% ) is lower carbs.

Best wishes

Reactions: jjraak

margu1

Hi there, how do you normally manage your food and your insulin? I'm not advocating going overboard if it means your glucose levels go too high or too low but there's no real need to decide not to have any of your 'treats' unless you choose to. Sometimes (and it's down to individuals), a treat along the way makes them feel better and less negative. Of course if you're an all or nothing person that can be tricky.
Sorry to hear your’re feeling depressed.

Easier to say than do, but things like going out a walk outside, looking out rather than in and thinking of what you can do / can eat rather than what you can’t may help a little.

On the sweet /treat front, it depends on your tastes but there are low carb desserts alternatives ( eg on Dietdoctor .com etc) which typically use cream or non-sugar sweeteners. If you can limit yourself to a small square, and like the taste (I do!) the high percentage chocolate (egLindt 90% ) is lower carbs.

Best wishes

margu1

Thank you so much for your kind replies i really appreciate you getting in touch!

I like the suggestion of the Lindt chocolate and didn’t realise it was low carb! Thank you for that. Also the exercise taking a walk out is a really good idea as i know it brings the blood glucose levels down.
I was looking at Christmas food while I’m visiting family on Christmas Day and maybe to have a little of something sweet like trifle etc! So with regard to the recipes i will look at them later and try to build a regime around my diabetes but this is just for a quick fix on Christmas day but thank you for that suggestion!
I will gave a few treats but in moderation i think that is the key!
Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: KK123

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @margu1

It's my first diabetic Christmas too. My mind just kept going back to all the things I couldn't eat for a while, but I thought about the one thing I'd miss most (Christmas Pudding!).

I've decided that I'm willing to forgo roast potatoes, stuffing etc. and all the other carby bits of the meal in order to have one - small - bit of the thing I would look forward to and miss the most.

It's a compromise but hopefully one that will work...

The same on Boxing Day - low carb and one small treat of something I really, really want.

Then back to normal. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its my first christmas as a diabetic type 2 as well. As i am doing a carnivor diet, on christmas day its going to be turky, pigs in blankets and brocolli for my main meal. A few chunks of 90% dark chocolate and wash it down with vodka and slimline schweppes lemonade (no carbs). Boxing day same thing but with pork, got some steak ready to go if i am hungry later on but as i eat twice a day should be ok.
I hope your feeling better and manage to enjoy christmas the best you can, i tend to look at food items on morristons webpage and it shows you how many carbs and sugers are in the item so you can judge if you can eat the item. You be supprised alot of items are lower in carbs than you think :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123 and ert

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first Christmas as a T2 as well. Please don't feel you are missing out because of food choices. There are lots of other things that aren't food that you can enjoy. But if your personality can cope with a teaspoon of this or that, then go for tiny amounts and savour them really slowly on your tongue. I can't: my personality is all or nothing, but the nothing has been much easier than I thought it would be.

I am wearing a pair of velvet trousers that I have had for nearly 30 years and haven't been able to get into for most of them. I will be on a high all day because of that. Lasts longer than food. And I went for a walk in the woods this morning. Treat yourself to some lovely life experiences, and hang on in there - this journey has more positives than being able to eat what other people eat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the 5th Christmas after diagnosis - don't remember much of the first one to be honest, Atorvastatin and Metformin almost did for me, but the second one I tested after each Christmas dinner (two offspring, two dinners) and each time saw well under 7mmol/l so I knew I had it beaten.
I have a fair number of low carb treats I could resort to - mulled custard tarts, tipsy trifle, and other things of a similar nature - alcohol enhanced versions of my ordinary desserts for days when I am not driving. These days I tend to go for salmon salad, truffle omelette, or various cheeses with freshly baked low carb crackers.
I do have chocolate, 95 percent cocoa from Lidl, and sometimes make myself some chopped nuts, placed in little silicon sweetie moulds with melted chocolate drizzled over them until they are joined up. I even add a little crystalized ginger to some of them, after washing off the sugar and drying the cubes I slice thinly and mix into the nuts before adding the chocolate. For Christmas day I have been known to put a glace cherry in the mould to start with.
There are always treats we can have - it is just a matter of picking which ones to indulge in.

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your comments! Really appreciate them!!❤️

How have the first couple of days gone @margu1 ?

I hope you've managed to find a way that's worked for you and are feeling a little better about it all. There's so much pressure and expectation over the festive period, it can be really tough!

Reactions: Hopeful34