Pins and Needles Not Going Away!

JackPurvis

Hello everyone,

I’ve been Type 1 for around 5-6 months now and I got diagnosed rather quickly compared to how long it can take a lot of people, lucky I found it whilst doing routine checks so caught it early.

Ever since I’ve been in pretty good control constantly, sitting mainly around 5-6mmol with the odd spike around 8-9 after meals which I fix with half doses sometimes if it doesn’t come down quick enough for my liking. However for the last couple of weeks I have had constant pins and needles in my hands and feet, mainly in my left foot. I have also had some joint/bone pain along with it so of course it’s 100% the diabete but since I know pins and needles can be a early sign of nerve damage it’s worth considering.

I’m not really sure how long you BS need to stay high for to cause any sort of damage, also what is actually classed as high, sort of the base line for sort of potential damage to occur. Because with me only being diabetic for 5-6 months and having pretty good control most the time I might be able to sort of rule out any early nerve damage straight away I’m just not sure?

(p.s I did get my booster 5days ago so not sure if it could be Symptoms still lasting form that but I do feel fine otherwise)

Thanks!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hello everyone,

I’ve been Type 1 for around 5-6 months now and I got diagnosed rather quickly compared to how long it can take a lot of people, lucky I found it whilst doing routine checks so caught it early.

Ever since I’ve been in pretty good control constantly, sitting mainly around 5-6mmol with the odd spike around 8-9 after meals which I fix with half doses sometimes if it doesn’t come down quick enough for my liking. However for the last couple of weeks I have had constant pins and needles in my hands and feet, mainly in my left foot. I have also had some joint/bone pain along with it so of course it’s 100% the diabete but since I know pins and needles can be a early sign of nerve damage it’s worth considering.

I’m not really sure how long you BS need to stay high for to cause any sort of damage, also what is actually classed as high, sort of the base line for sort of potential damage to occur. Because with me only being diabetic for 5-6 months and having pretty good control most the time I might be able to sort of rule out any early nerve damage straight away I’m just not sure?

(p.s I did get my booster 5days ago so not sure if it could be Symptoms still lasting form that but I do feel fine otherwise)

Thanks!
You should check you are not vitamin B1, B6, B12 deficient or have a thyroid issue causing peripheral neuritis. As you are newly diagnosed, and your blood sugars are under control, it's less likely to be from your blood sugar in the first instance.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352061#:~:text=Peripheral neuropathy can result from,as stabbing, burning or tingling.

Last edited:

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Did it go away? What was your "joint/bone pain like"? Hope you're OK.