Does type 2 is reversal

snawaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone does type 2 diabetes reversal if so please anyone let me know the methodology yo revers it ..?

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many have been able to put their type 2 diabetes into remission on a low carbohydrate diet.

snawaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for reply , any special diet chart for to follow ..? I am really fed up with this disease..

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello @snawaz
Carbohydrates when digested are changed into glucose which then makes its way into your blood.
Cut as many carbs from your diet as possible, base your meals on meat's, fish, cheese, eggs and above ground vegetables and salad's. Take a look at this site for the basics https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you still on diamicron or other diabetes medication?
If you're reducing your carb intake, please keep a very close eye on your blood sugars!
Diamicron can cause you to go too low, so always keep something sugary on hand in case you go hypo.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone does type 2 diabetes reversal if so please anyone let me know the methodology yo revers it ..?
I went low carb, healthy fat, including such goodness as bacon and eggs.

All the different varieties of meat, cheese, high fat greek yoghurt, butter, low carb bread, most above ground veggies, small portions of some fruit I can tolerate.

Cut out pasta, unless you can tolerate small portions of reheated cooked stuff.

Rice and breakfast cereals, and all the sweet stuff, you can cut out to get back into prediabetic range again.

It works for me.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Btw, you can't actually reverse diabetes. Being in remission means you have got down to normal levels of blood glucose. The diabetes is still there but it isn't causing any harm as long as you keep your diet etc. the same.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a low carb diet can help with diabetes remission - you will get some tips from the nutritional thingy that catinahat above has attached for you

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a terminology war between terms like remission & reversal.

Remission can be achieved by many T2s who adopt a low carb diet & a less sedentary lifestyle.
If you remove the carbs from your diet then glucose levels can run as low as a non-diabetic so risk of complications is reduced accordingly.
To maintain remission this diet/behaviour must be for life.

There are a small subset of T2s, normally obese, who can achieve a reversal of their T2 through large weight loss especially with a low diagnostic level & short duration of the disease.
This means they can pass all 3 diagnostic tests, FBG, A1c & OGTT.
These still need to remain diligent however with the knowledge they possess the trigger.

snawaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Are you still on diamicron or other diabetes medication?
If you're reducing your carb intake, please keep a very close eye on your blood sugars!
Diamicron can cause you to go too low, so always keep something sugary on hand in case you go hypo.

No, I am not taking medicine that is what I want to know more about diabetes, I heard any diabetes medications make you more dependent on medicine..

snawaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Btw, you can't actually reverse diabetes. Being in remission means you have got down to normal levels of blood glucose. The diabetes is still there but it isn't causing any harm as long as you keep your diet etc. the same.

Thanks for your valuable reply , do I still need medication if I can go down to normal level of blood sugar.?

snawaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Remission can be achieved by many T2s who adopt a low carb diet & a less sedentary lifestyle.
If you remove the carbs from your diet then glucose levels can run as low as a non-diabetic so risk of complications is reduced accordingly.

There are a small subset of T2s, normally obese, who can achieve a reversal of their T2 through large weight loss especially with a low diagnostic level & short duration of the disease.
These still need to remain diligent however with the knowledge they possess the trigger.

Thanks for your vacation reply ..!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb here too. I used this site to get me started:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

"Get started with the Low Carb Program
Your healthcare team will have given you a unique referral code that will give you free, unlimited access to the Low Carb Program.
Use your referral code to register with the program and get all the tools you need to achieve your health goals."

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on what you mean with reversal.
Many of our members see non-diabetic numbers without medication, but only as long as they stick to eating lower carb.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I too achieved remission through eating low carb. However I didn't join the Low Carb Program or even purchase any low carb diet books.
I just bought myself a Blood Glucose meter ( a Spirit Healthcare TEE2+) and used that as my guide as to which carbs my body could handle and which ones I had to either cut out or reduce portion size. This was my guide (looking for no more than a 2.0 mmol rise at the 2hrs after 1st bite of a meal mark).
Personally I don't feel that it's a good idea to just set yourself a target for carbs per day because we are all different in how our bodies handle carbs but also we differ as to which carbs affect us least and even as to how much a carby food affects us at different times of day.
So my advice is get a BG meter, test your meals, keep a food diary with a note of how high a BG rise it causes and finally don't eat unless you are actually hungry (so try not to snack and also don't eat more meals per day than you ned - I only need 1 or 2 per day).

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Ahh, but reversal implies reversal of any ill effects, which doesn't tend to happen. It also carries the risk of the media and population assuming it is purely down to the individual if they want not to be diabetic and diabetes is therefore some sort of lazy, gluttonous choice. I think, politically, it is a dangerous word. I do like @Riva_Roxaban 's use of 'recovery' though.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally- I agree with those that speak about remission rather than reversal. But for me that is sufficient. I don't particularly enjoy low carb but I have accepted that low carb is what suits my body. Going very low carb has also put my asthma into remission which was an unexpected great side effect for me. I also like 'recovery' as I certainly do better going very low carb and have fewer cravings.

So I would suggest that for most type 2s actual reversal is not the real aim rather remission. All that means for me is that I do to anticipate that I will be able to return to a higher carb diet. While I love carbs I am also aware that at this time in history our society consumes a lot of carbs and many of them are more processed than in days gone by. My body certainly has not evolved quickly enough to sustain that way of eating.

All that said- you need to find a way of life that suits you. It needs to be something you can sustain physically, mentally and financially. It can be a process finding your balance. I didn't eat out with friends for a long time as mentally it was too challenging. Even now I limit it.

Good luck on your journey.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going very low carb has also put my asthma into remission

My lifetime of migraine & sleep apnoea also disappeared.
The side effects of low carb are plentiful but not fully understood.
Perhaps hyper insulin levels play a part in other illnesses than is fully appreciated

Reactions: VashtiB