Nimble bread

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I’m fear I already know the answer to this but I’m going low carb on and since everyone was helpful with my milk question I thought I’d bug you all again
Nimble bread: can I use this on low carb? I work in place where I only have access to a kettle, so cooking and microwave are out. Sandwiches and salad is about the best i can do, I only work 3 days a week but they’re 12 hour days so i meed filling at lunch. Please help
Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are lower carb breads available in the big supermarkets , one is HiLo 5.0g carbs per slice the other is Live Life 3.4g carbs per slice.
Personally I bulk buy LC sliced bread and rolls from here:
https://lowcarbfood.co/
They do a few other things that might suit a low carb packed lunch too like pork pies and sausage rolls

Edit to add, looks like your nimble bread is 8.1g carbs per slice.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What about 90 second bread made with ground almonds? Easy to make and it is good split and lightly toasted. I add a little cream cheese to the recipe to cut the eggy taste and have it with ham, cheese, etc.

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are lower carb breads available in the big supermarkets , one is HiLo 5.0g carbs per slice the other is Live Life 3.4g carbs per slice.
They do a few other things that might suit a low carb packed lunch too like pork pies and sausage rolls

Really? That much wow. Thanks for the link

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about 90 second bread made with ground almonds? Easy to make and it is good split and lightly toasted. I add a little cream cheese to the recipe to cut the eggy taste and have it with ham, cheese, etc.
Sounds cracking! Is where can I find the recipe?
Thanks

Reactions: jjraak

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Heatherp85 Hello, I usually buy the HiLo bread in Sainsburys. There are 5g of carb in each slice and it is high in protein and fibre. It is a seeded bread and I must admit I’ve come to really enjoy it and prefer it now to other breads. I think it is all a matter of trying the different products and methods available and deciding which one suits both your taste and your lifestyle . Good luck with your journey.

finzi1966

Sounds cracking! Is where can I find the recipe?
Thanks

These are two recipes that I use

This one I make in a tall thin mug, makes a “cylindrical” shaped bread that I cut into 5 slices (1.4g net carbs per slice, 10g fat)

Half a cup of almond flour
2 eggs
4 teaspoons melted butter
1 teaspoon of baking powder

Mix all ingredients together in a tall skinny mug and microwave for 2mins and 20 seconds

This one I make in a flat microwaveable container (such as the plastic boxes you get takeaway curries in) - 2.8g net carbs per serving (service - 2 slices)

1 egg
1 tablespoon melted but not hot butter
Half a teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons almond flour
Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together in microwaveable container and cook for 90 seconds. When cool cut in half to make two slices

(Also if you cook in a round rather than a rectangular container, makes a good shape for a burger bun)

D

Deleted member 543160

I have occasionally eaten Carb Zone and Live life low carb bread, but if I feel the need I'll bake my own with nut flour/meal (almond, hazelnut, walnut, pecan), or sesame seed flour:

So, recipe for low carb nut "bread":
(Approx) 200g of ground almonds (or nut meal of choice)
(Approx) 75g softened butter
3 eggs
1-1.5 teaspoon baking powder
optional additions, e.g.:
grated parmesan
a little salt

I generally use a small silicon loaf pan, and bake in microwave for about 3mins or until firm when poked, but mix can also be split between little silicone muffin trays or cups, or quantities reduced to bake in a mug.

I also posted some time ago a whole list of low carb muffin variations, which can be used to make as a loaf: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-48#post-987609

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It depends on how low carb you are going if you are not going very low carb and you have set yourself a daily allowance if you need to eat such a thing then you deduct it from what you have allowed yourself for the day.

Also eat to your meter if nimble bread does not spike you you could possibly get away with it but if it spikes your BG unacceptably then it would be advisable to avoid it where possible. As has been said there are alternatives.

Reactions: Heatherp85

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or think about alternatives to sandwiches:
Frittata
Eggs
Cold sausages
Mixed deli plates
Cheese wraps
Basically just more of anything you'd normally put in a sandwich, but without the bread. You'll be surprised how filling it can be.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work in place where I only have access to a kettle, so cooking and microwave are out. Sandwiches and salad is about the best i can do,

How about investing in a wide necked flask so you can take hot food with you? Needn’t be soup (I don’t find find liquid food at all satiating), could be anything hot and would give you more options.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

For anyone using Hilo.
I make a point when I buy at the only Sainsbury's I usually find it, To buy two or three

Any other bread I judge by size glucose per slice

Half the size mean two slices to make a meal.

I must say I only have for breakfast
Egg bacon sausage mushrooms Tom's .. slice of bread

Nice filling breakfast ..fills me up..no spike
Others may vary

Bread goes off so mine gets used fresh on day, one fresh for tomorrow, rest of loaf in freezer .

A quick minute + in microwave defrost mode.
Pop in toaster. Breakfast complete .

So yeah.

Hi lo I find difficult to find
Nice and worth looking for

Like it so buy extra :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A plus one for 90 second bread.

More sweet bun like then bread

But a worthy contender

And once you have ingredients.
It's fresh "bread" in under a few minutes.

And for us non cooks.

This has made a nice workplace lunch with salad .

if any gets past 90 second bread, DO take a look at cauliflower pizza.

I ignored this wonderful little recipe for a year plus
Deprived myself of a taste I enjoy

Easy to make if a little fiddly
Missus being nice says she prefers it
Got daughter and work colleagues making their own versions :happy:

Again, if You have ingredients
You can make it quicker then many companies can deliver it

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use this low carb company - they may be of some use to you: https://seriouslylowcarb.com/ - I like their bread for sandwiches & toast - their rolls are huge. I usually pay the little extra for next day delivery and that way I know it is nice & fresh when I receive it otherwise it can take a few days for Royal Mail to deliver. When I receive it I put it straight in the fridge (keeps fresh there for up to 1 week) and the rest I put in the freezer and just take it out as and when I need it (it takes around half an hour to defrost). These can be handy for fast ready made food on the go too https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/ (if you have a sweet tooth like I do) These little treats can be handy for breakfast, lunch or dinner - depending on what ones you choose ... Happy Days ...

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,
I’m fear I already know the answer to this but I’m going low carb on and since everyone was helpful with my milk question I thought I’d bug you all again
Nimble bread: can I use this on low carb? I work in place where I only have access to a kettle, so cooking and microwave are out. Sandwiches and salad is about the best i can do, I only work 3 days a week but they’re 12 hour days so i meed filling at lunch. Please help
Thanks

Best bread I found is burgen- with linseed and soya

Reactions: JohnEGreen