Blurry vision

Leelee1507

Can anyone give me any advice on blurry vision ?
I only found out 3 weeks ago I had type 1, big shock now my eyes are playing up is this normal and how long before they get back to normal? Thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Leelee1507 and welcome to the forums.

Blurry vision is fairly common in new diabetics (of all types) as high blood sugars affect the lenses of your eyes) and should improve once your blood sugars have normalised. So if you need reading glasses to cope, best to buy the really cheap ones from a discount store as you probably won't need them in a few weeks. (Not entirely sure of the time scale as I was diagnosed when I was 8 which was a lo...ng time ago).

Leelee1507

Hi @Leelee1507 and welcome to the forums.

Blurry vision is fairly common in new diabetics (of all types) as high blood sugars affect the lenses of your eyes) and should improve once your blood sugars have normalised. So if you need reading glasses to cope, best to buy the really cheap ones from a discount store as you probably won't need them in a few weeks. (Not entirely sure of the time scale as I was diagnosed when I was 8 which was a lo...ng time ago).

Thank you so much for the reply means a lot this whole thing of having type 1 has frightened the life out of me.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the reply means a lot this whole thing of having type 1 has frightened the life out of me.
Same happened to me. Diagnosed out of the blue at age 42. At diagnosis my eyes were really blurry. Scared me lots. But as previous poster has said once my sugars were under control they went back to normal. Took about a month for me

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I hope you are feeling a bit better now. Hearing others with the same experiences is helpful. I would suggest keep reading and posting.

Welcome.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About the same with me as well, 4-6 weeks when i went on a LCHF diet and back to nromal then :)

Reactions: Batul

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Same happened to me , its lasts about 2-3 weeks .

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same happened with me as well. Would have been useful if I had been warned.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hi,
I found out I had type 1 3 weeks ago and now I’ve got blurry vision is this normal ? Sorry to jump on your post.
My eyesight was very blurry on an off before type 2 diagnosis. When my levels went lower the blurriness ceased :)

Sarahlouxoxo

Hiii, omg I’m so glad I saw this! (Well barely) I have the exact same thing, I had a DK on New Year’s Day and was diagnosed as type 1 as I ended up in intensive care I have had blurry vision since, I have been told by all the diabetic nurses and doctors that my eyes will get back to normal but it’s so scary to not be able to see, I’m currently sitting here with two pairs of shop bought reading glasses on so I can see the letters on my phone!

I’m still worrying but I had the eye doctor yesterday and they checked my eyes over and even though I can barely see my hand in front of my face they have said my eyes are still completely healthy and have no diabetes damage to them, so fingers crossed my vision will come back soon!

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My eyes were 'playing up' for a couple of weeks before diagnosis, phone and work emails were blurry but I blamed my varifocals and excessive de-misting putting them out of alignment.

As soon as I started medication and my BG decreased everything went, it was like I wasn't wearing my glasses. but with a magnifying glass everything was perfect.

I am now 5 weeks in, and my distance and TV viewing vision are back to normal, but only started coming back about 10 days ago, I can squint and read my laptop and phone now for short periods, but am happy that I know it's not permanent even though the Specsavers optician said she couldn't see damage. I haven't driven for a month, and am only now confident that if I go out for a quick spin this weekend it will be OK.

I googled too much and hearing it'll be better 'in a couple of weeks' so I was panicking, but as my HbA1c was initially 129.5, I had a bit of adjustment to do!

mouseee

Me too. I spent the summer hols after diagnosis listening to audio books rather than my usual catch up on reading. By the end of the hols was back to normal.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my simplistic way, I think its the sugar in the fluids around the eye, rather than the eye itself.
Mine was blurry too, and now if ever I get tempted to overindulge, I remember how bad I must have been for there to be so much sugar in my fluid that I couldn't see through it.
It does clear, try and and look on it as a positive in that body is ridding itself of the sugars. Better it's coming out than staying in!

Reactions: Outlier