Walking To Mordor...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyway, thanks for the photo of this beautiful animal. If it's agains the rules for non-diabetics to join, maybe they could send weekly/monthly figures via you (Assuming you'd want to be involved, of course).
Not against the rules at all, although I doubt she'll sign up just for this thread.
However, I'd already offered to relay her walks (and some pictures of her handsome companion of course) to this thread! :)
One way to think about it is to make goals so tiny that it's almost impossible not to do them. That might not be applicable to this, as it's quite a distance. But maybe of other things. I like Tim Van Orden's approach to this, and the trap/dichotomy of goal setting. Maybe it speaks to you...maybe not. Either way, hope '22 is a brighter year for you :)
Can't hurt to have a look, so I'll do that. :)

Reactions: EllieM

Beating-My-Betes

A long time since I read the book, but they flew that leg of the journey by Eagle Airlines.

There was a river cruise in there some where as well.

If was a lot healthier I would have a crack at this for a challenge, but my wheelie walker named "Bill" has gone in the right fetlock.

Yeah! They definitely didn't walk the entire journey.

Shame you can't join in

Beating-My-Betes

Yeah agreed. I like the idea though, not a race but a bit of fun. I like these things to not be pushing each other but instead encouraging

Also, not finished mountain wise but this is where I am so far, as you can probably see, it’s a cover of old not good ones

That tattoo is shaping up to be awesome!

I hope we can maintain a spirit of encouragement. I know from another forum where I attempted to start something similar that some people didn't like the idea of feeling pressured by others' physical abilities etc.

Personally, I have a 'soft' goal to be back in Hobbiton by the end of the year, with a harder limit set for February 2023. I'm going to start off slowly (Will maintain the 4 miles I've averaged for the last 4 years), specifically to provide a stable reference for a diet change. But from then, I'm really going to, erm...step it up ;) Hopefully, that won't pressure others to do the same, or to feel their own efforts inferior.

It's a personal challenge, and everyone should feel comfortable going at their own pace. Maybe it'll just fall to a couple of folk to get ahead to assess any danger.

Been thinking more about this, and will assure that as long as I'm alive/physically-capable/online/in-a-state-of-not-having-been-banned-from-DUK (delete as applicable), that I will keep logging until every last person completes their intended goal...even if that takes years.

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

Beating-My-Betes

Nice art, must be really painful having it done though.

I quite like the idea of the Mordor walk, maybe I'll get to Rivendell by the end of the year. :). We could have fun making up anecdotes about what's happened on the way. (Oops, almost got caught by some black riders, had to give them the slip at the supermarket.)

A nice idea. Not sure I'm that knowledgable about the Lore to do so. I do intend to read the books, while doing the challenge. Last time I tried, I made it through 'The Hobbit' and the first two LOTR books. Didn't finish the 3rd, and refused to watch the last film until I had, so no spoilers please.

Reactions: Antje77

Beating-My-Betes

Not a bad goal at all!
@Beating-My-Betes , perhaps you can add the distance to closer goals, like Bree, so the likes of @Riva_Roxaban and I can enjoy a beer in The Prancing Pony, or visit Tom Bombadil on cumulative outings.

I'd love that!

I don't see any reason why these split/shorter goals can't be incorporated. I'm just not sure I'm the person to do it. If someone who is more familiar with the Lore, journey etc. is motivated to chart some points-of-interest etc. along the way, they could definitely be added to the OP.

Also, if people want to team up and log cumulative miles, seems fine to me. I'll let you into a little secret: We're not actually going to Mordor ;) , and this is only really a way of spicing up a 2022 exercise resolution thread. So, anyway that people are motivated to get out and 'get it', should be encouraged.

Have at it!

Beating-My-Betes

Nice art, must be really painful having it done though.

I quite like the idea of the Mordor walk, maybe I'll get to Rivendell by the end of the year. :). We could have fun making up anecdotes about what's happened on the way. (Oops, almost got caught by some black riders, had to give them the slip at the supermarket.)

So...are you in?

Beating-My-Betes

Where do I find the destination & distance chart please?

The chart with the green header, in the title post. The minimum thus far is 458 miles to Rivendell, although there has been some talk about breaking those distances down into even smaller bites.

When I first tried this, a few years back, there was an app which kept track of distances and had a much more detailed breakdown of the journey. Might have to do an online search to see if I can get a route planner with all the landmarks. The app creator unfortunately got hit with a copyright cease-and-desist notice, unfortunately...so it's no more :(

Beating-My-Betes

Haha! Just realised I still have the app installed :)

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 17.27.17.png

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah! Definitely a shame.

Backdating to the first seems like quite a good idea, though :)
I got an app called HealthView and monitoring of walking/running distance and cycling distance, backdating to Jan 1st is one way but I think I’ll stick to the start as of today :)

Beating-My-Betes

You could get a guestimate from this interactive map.

http://lotrproject.com/map/#zoom=3&lat=-1315.5&lon=1500&layers=BTTTTT

Or this one at the link where there are step by step walking instuctions:

https://medium.com/@danstepanov/walking-to-mordor-a-guide-for-hobbits-87ce491b8b74

RP6hxiT.png

Edit:Forgot the last link.

Thanks!

Actually found that first link last night, but didn't spend any real time with it. From first glance, I'm not sure if it's granular enough. The second link, however, is very useful.

When I get the time, I'll have a go at fleshing the journey out a bit more. And if enough people show an interest, it might be worth trying to get it into a more detailed spreadsheet. Perhaps not worth the effort if there're only a handful of us doing it. Let's see.

Thanks, again.

Beating-My-Betes

I got an app called HealthView and monitoring of walking/running distance and cycling distance, backdating to Jan 1st is one way but I think I’ll stick to the start as of today :)

Checking out the Apple health app, it appears to be very easy to slide the graph to start at any date desired. So I'll follow your lead on that one.

Not sure about he frequency of logging. Might just add typed daily numbers and then a full screen-shotted (or should that be screenshat ;) ) weekly log on Sunday evening.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend wrote you her first update on her little trip to Mordor, so here it comes! :)

Here my first update. I'm on my way to Mordor. This week I walked 3 rounds of about 5 km (sorry I from the metric system). So the total this week is 15km. And because of the covid regulations I was not able to take Banjer my big, little friend with me. He will join other rounds. For an impression of the surounding (picture).

The next weeks I will walk more, because I will join a hike orgenised by the local boy-scouts halfway february. That will be 25km long.

271512677_227789292877274_9198299502823005253_n.jpg

mouseee

My friend wrote you her first update on her little trip to Mordor, so here it comes! :)

Here my first update. I'm on my way to Mordor. This week I walked 3 rounds of about 5 km (sorry I from the metric system). So the total this week is 15km. And because of the covid regulations I was not able to take Banjer my big, little friend with me. He will join other rounds. For an impression of the surounding (picture).

The next weeks I will walk more, because I will join a hike orgenised by the local boy-scouts halfway february. That will be 25km long.

271512677_227789292877274_9198299502823005253_n.jpg
Looks like the fens.... I have a lovely walk by the washes that look similar.